73 replies to this topic

#21 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 03 July 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

When you see 100 Ton Mechs get vaporized it under five seconds... yeah... feels like an arcade game.

What does this have to do with it being an "arcade" game or not? If anything your conclusion is completely backwards... Most "simulation" games require FAR fewer scored hits to destroy something than a similar "arcade" style game... As a cliche example, just compare COD/bf to arma... Or as something a bit more relevant, pretty much any arcade flight simulation vs a full blow flight sim...

#22 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

If Hawken is the competition MWO wins hands down.

#23 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

View Postlartfor, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

I think the problem is the maps over anything else... Too small, overly designed, and not believable...

AGREED

The maps are in MWO are horrible arenas, compared to MW4 missions and scenarios.

Except in that game (MW4), LRM had to have line of sight to fire, which meant maps didn't have/revolve around "insert giant rock formation" here-everywhere-there to defend against LRM spam.

Oh and also;

You could destroy buildings, cities and massive factories. And the scale was on point, you felt like a big mech.

Edited by Karamarka, 03 July 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostZolaz, on 03 July 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

Hmmmm ... game feels more like an 80s arcade game than a piloting a mech simulator. The game is aesthetically pleasing but the feel doesnt give me the impression of being in a military grade fighting machine.

This has been the case ever since closed beta when the heat penalties (read: Ammo, components, equipment, weapons, heatsinks all took damage gradually for staying over 80% heat for too long, melting heatsinks, detonating ammunition without being shot, disabling/frying weapons) were removed and goofy things like pilot skill trees were added with 50% faster acceleration and 20% more max heat allowed and 15% faster cooling and 45% faster twist speeds.

#25 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

View Postlartfor, on 03 July 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

What does this have to do with it being an "arcade" game or not? If anything your conclusion is completely backwards... Most "simulation" games require FAR fewer scored hits to destroy something than a similar "arcade" style game... As a cliche example, just compare COD/bf to arma... Or as something a bit more relevant, pretty much any arcade flight simulation vs a full blow flight sim...

I'm an old school guy who grew up with the novels and the board game. Big Mechs shouldn't go down that easily, so it feels 'arcade-like' to me when I see it happen. I'm used to seeing and reading Assault Mechs sustain horrific damage before going down. It just doesn't 'feel' like they're big lumbering war machines.

#26 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

It used to seem much more realistic to me when I started playing. Either I've become used to it or some minor changes have had a big effect. I often think/wonder how much more realistic it might feel if the mech heights were more realistic, we're slower and fired much less often.

Love the game though. I enjoy losing a couple hours in it when I can.

#27 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

>Realistic

STOP USING THE R WORD.

#28 TamCoan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostWingbreaker, on 03 July 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

I soooo rocked that game. I was able to head-shot anything that came my way and salvage the entire mech. Loved it!

#29 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostWingbreaker, on 03 July 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

>Realistic

STOP USING THE R WORD.

Really though, the realism is realistically real enough for the realism oriented user.

#30 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

View Postlartfor, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

I think the problem is the maps over anything else... Too small, overly designed, and not believable...

Larger maps please
And objectives besides "kill whats in front of you"

Community Warfare Please, K, thanks.

#31 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

The scale of the maps and objects on the map is just too fake, its the main reason why you miss the feel of being in a 18 meters tall mech. And everything moves too damn fast. They should overhaul all the textures on the maps and shrink everything down.
It just looks unrealistic to see stones on the ground which look like pebbles but are supposed to be 1-2 meters tall.

#32 kalabaddon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

I would be happy with battlemech modules in DCS World! that would be sim enough for me :blink: anything else is just a cheap arcade game :)

#33 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

If you only need 3 or 4 buttons to play the game, it feels arcadey. Very little depth to piloting or running the mech. Once you learn how to drive, handle your heat and not try and fight 2 or more mechs all by yourself all you have to do is hit your target.

The game feels too easy.

#34 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostVarent, on 03 July 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Larger maps please

Yes second this, give me something to play for and a reason to play beyond a shoot-em up (ARCADE GAME).
Does anyone remember Mech Force (Amgia), even this basic game had contracts and more missions.

#35 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostVarent, on 03 July 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Larger maps please

That only works when players get to select the map. Otherwise you end with what happens almost every Match on Alpine. Little Joey has a Brawler Mech, 3 SRM6 and 3 ML and DC's 3 seconds after the Map loads.

So yah, let's make the Maps even bigger. :blink: LOL!

#36 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostZolaz, on 03 July 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

If you only need 3 or 4 buttons to play the game, it feels arcadey. Very little depth to piloting or running the mech. Once you learn how to drive, handle your heat and not try and fight 2 or more mechs all by yourself all you have to do is hit your target.

The game feels too easy.

Yup, should be 1 reticule for every weapon you load up and NO Arm Lock. Imagine having 5 floating Reticules... :blink: LOL! Way better game play, by yourself, two weeks after that Patch. :)

#37 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Absolutely. I should be using 3 peripherals at the very least to play mechwarrior. Accept no substitutes.

#38 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 03 July 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Absolutely. I should be using 3 peripherals at the very least to play mechwarrior. Accept no substitutes.

I have my mouse, nostromo, and keyboard..... That's three. :blink:

#39 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postcdlord, on 03 July 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I have my mouse, nostromo, and keyboard..... That's three. :blink:

No foot pedals to control throttle? Arcade Peasant....

#40 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

I would say this is the best mech game there is currently. At no point do I feel I'm playing COD. Or Hawken. I certainly don't feel like I'm playing an arcade game.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users