23 replies to this topic

#1 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

So I log in last night after patching and drop in my first solo pug game. Low and behold, my lance consists of a Jenner, Victor, Cataphract and my Wolverine. The game goes on to play with minimal sniping and far more movement on the map than the blob sniping I usually see. It's a blast and I do well.

Second match goes very similarly.

Third goes like the first two and so on...

I play till 3AM and have a blast.

Almost always the distribution of mech classes is even, and almost always the level of gameplay is better. Very little blobs of poptarting, very much mobile-dynamic gameplay. So I figure one of two things has happened:

1) My ELO has suddenly gone up and I'm in a new tier of play.
2) 4x3 is doing its job and encouraging mixed play styles

Right now I'm putting it down to the new matchmaker. If this is the case, I am very happy with it. However I know it could very well be a statistical fluke.

What I want to know is this:
I have been reading the forums and see that the new MM has been causing issues for some people (especially small premades), but has anyone else had a similar experience as me? If so (and this isn't just an isolated case) I would say the MM is an improvement.

Interested to hear all of your thoughts.

-Dusty

Edited by DustySkunk, 03 July 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#2 QuimMorius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Had a blast with friends yesterday night with the same experience you are having, less pop tarting, more movement, more brawling, more balance between team. We also stomped a few 12-man premades.

So, yea, this is very welcome and we can finally drop all together instead of splitting into two lances and separate coms in my unit. So far, well done PGI! ;)

#3 Lomak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Oh this is a thank you PGI train so I run to get it. Same here had some awesome solo Matches that felt like you said.

Edited by Lomak, 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#4 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Played 3 PUG drops, experienced 3 stomps. Discouraging, but at least the weights were balanced. Felt like we had 0 premades, and each opposing team had a 4 man.

Grouped up with one friend and ended up in the group queue for about 5 games - all of which were great! The only stomp came at the hands of a large Aces squad.

#5 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Was dropping in large groups last night and had a blast, even on the losing end of matches... all the matches were played more strategically, teams had more restraint, constantly shifting our units on the map to counter flanking moves and running pincers! Very happy with the new Match Maker system in place... even when we dropped down to around 6 members in a drop, it was still very balanced on both sides. Good job, PGI :blink:

#6 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

I haven't had a chance to drop yet since patch, but have there been any instances of 5+ groups dropping into the solo queue at all? Things sound promising for everyone, save the smallish groups.

#7 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 03 July 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I haven't had a chance to drop yet since patch, but have there been any instances of 5+ groups dropping into the solo queue at all? Things sound promising for everyone, save the smallish groups.

Any and all groups larger than 4 drop in the group-queue exclusively.

#8 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I did some 2mans and 4 mans yesterday, and the drop results was 50/50 in either pug or group queue. As were the wins/losses. I didn't focus at all at team balancing however (never bothered me in the first place), so it's not something I overtly look out for.

Looking to do some 5+ grouping with my MGA unit, maybe this weekend, and see how it goes.

#9 amisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

3/3/3/3 is not working still. Shame.

#10 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostMalineczka, on 03 July 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

It is.
It just isn't always restricted to 4*3. It can be any combination of 'mechs really but that combination applies to both teams. All depends on what 'mechs are available to make matches.
If there are a lot more assaults than lights the matchmaker might give you a 1/3/4/4-rule instead for example to keep searchtimes low (wich they are).
Works like a charm.

#11 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostMalineczka, on 03 July 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Whaaat?!

You may want to elaborate a bit more, how about some screenshots showing a severe tonnage mismatch?

Or did someone not read the patch notes? it's 4x3 if it can, but if there's a lack of lights it will work around that to reduce wait times....read the damn patch notes.

Edited by shad0w4life, 03 July 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#12 amisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Whaaat?!

You may want to elaborate a bit more, how about some screenshots showing a severe tonnage mismatch?

Or did someone not read the patch notes? it's 4x3 if it can, but if there's a lack of lights it will work around that to reduce wait times....read the damn patch notes.

Then it's not 3/3/3/3. They still can't get simple things done.

#13 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Whaaat?!

Although there's no need to swear at the pilot, what shadow4life says is true. Karl Berg implemented release valves in the MM code so that when the queue has a higher quantity of one or more weight class, then the 4x3 rule is relaxed so that the match is balanced between the mechs that are in the queue.

So yes, you can have a 2 groups consisting of 1 light, 2 mediums, 4 heavies, and 4 assaults, for example. Therefore, the new MM is working as intended.

#14 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

It is.
It just isn't always restricted to 4*3. It can be any combination of 'mechs really but that combination applies to both teams. All depends on what 'mechs are available to make matches.
If there are a lot more assaults than lights the matchmaker might give you a 1/3/4/4-rule instead for example to keep searchtimes low (wich they are).
Works like a charm.

That really would not be 3/3/3/3 then would it....and it is pretty quick in deciding it cannot be done...

#15 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostWispsy, on 03 July 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

That really would not be 3/3/3/3 then would it....and it is pretty quick in deciding it cannot be done...

Well then I suppose you need to ask yourself whether you prefer perfect 4x3 matches and longer wait times, or relaxed rules when 4x3 is not possible and shorter wait times.

Personally, I'm for the latter, but to each their own opinion on the matter.

#16 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Glad to here my experience isn't just isolated to me!

View PostCaine2112, on 03 July 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Well then I suppose you need to ask yourself whether you prefer perfect 4x3 matches and longer wait times, or relaxed rules when 4x3 is not possible and shorter wait times.

I have to agree. Honestly, as long as the MM is shooting for 4x3, it will be more balanced than it was previously. I'm okay with an extra assault or heavy running around as long as I don't need to wait forever for a match.

I just remember what it was like before (especially when the clans were first released). I clearly remember having a match where we played against a team that had five Direwolfs, six Timberwolfs and a ECM Raven. Another time I remember dropping in my DDC to find that my entire lance was composed of Atlases, and we weren't the only assaults on our team... I feel like others can relate to these experiences. If you look at the new MM in light of them, it really isn't a big deal if a drop isn't *exactly* 4x3, is it? :blink:

Edited by DustySkunk, 03 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#17 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostCaine2112, on 03 July 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I think strict 3/3/3/3 is a stupid idea, just what he was saying was completely contradictory.

#18 KrakenWakes

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

To the general thread - yes, I agree. Better balance in games, more fun and more interesting tactics in operations during matches. Feels more like Mechwarrior, somehow, I see stuff I understand and get a feel of the flow of the game rather than being taken to pieces in seconds without totally understanding how or sweeping to an easy (and equally incomprehensible) victory.

And to the 3/3/3/3 subthread that's taking off here - yeah, looks like it's working as intended. Even if it isn't precise, it's pitting even, balanced groups against each other. Feels like a leap ahead.

#19 amisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostDustySkunk, on 03 July 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

it really isn't a big deal if a drop isn't *exactly* 4x3, is it? :)

Then again - why the rule is enforced in premade groups, when in the actual game it can still be broken? But whatever really. I still don't understand how 2 Atlases in one team stacked against 2 Dire Wolves in the other team are "balanced" for example.

Regards.

#20 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Agree with the OP. My few solo drops were great, close games. My small group drops (3man) this afternoon were great games, as were the larger 6 - 10 man drops last night,

As for 4x3, with it trying to match as 4x3, it has helped change the game up. When it relaxes, those who said 4x3 lack variety get an injection of chaos. The fact that both sides have equal classes has been the biggest factor bettering games, imho.

Edited by Dracol, 03 July 2014 - 12:32 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users