1% Of Players In Queue Use Light Mechs

467 replies to this topic

#161 monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

How about a cbill and xp bonus for playing weight classes that are more than % below 25% of the total? Increase the bonus based on how far below the 25% ratio it is. That way, if there is nobody playing a class, you'll want to do it if you're looking for...xp or cbills.

#162 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

View Postmonk, on 04 July 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

How about a cbill and xp bonus for playing weight classes that are more than % below 25% of the total? Increase the bonus based on how far below the 25% ratio it is. That way, if there is nobody playing a class, you'll want to do it if you're looking for...xp or cbills.

I suggested that in another post yesterday:

1% CB+XP bonus for every percentage point under 25 your weight class currently is.
1% CB+XP penalty for every percentage point above 25 your weight class currently is.

Automatic and dynamic, gives both carrot and stick.

Couple that with increased rewards for activities other than kills and assists, and you'll likely see a big rise in medium and light use.

#163 monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Postsneeking, on 04 July 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

im not interested in cbills bonuses exp points or any other rubbish I just want to fight !

Sure, but lights were already way under represented before the fall damage change. I wish people didn't think adjustments had to be all of one and none of the other. You can easily tweak fall damage and also create incentives for people to self balance the classes. There's no law that says the two things have to be exlcusive.

#164 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

View Poststjobe, on 04 July 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

Yeah, those lights TOTALLY dominate the game, it's not even fun any more. There's just nothing my mediums, heavies, or assaults can do when one of those bad boys show up; it's just gg close and that's all she wrote.

Just look at the forums! It's chock-full of complaint threads about the 2-years-and-counting-now Light meta; how Lights rule the game at top tier, and how PGI really should do something, anything, to curb them.

:/

But instead PGI forces majority of poor players into the poor underpowered heavy and assault mechs with their underpowered 2,3,4 Gauss/PPC or AC40 or loads of useless LRM. I am so lucky I was granted the privilege to play a MIGHTY LIGHT and rule the battlefield, nagging all these poor heavies with my 4 med lasers *diabolic laughter*

Edited by Jherek C, 04 July 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#165 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:56 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 July 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

No sorry.
First of you saying lights can only be effective a gunfighters or should be? how about scouting, Narc, Tag, UAV, hunting other lights? these are all things that can be very effectively done by a light to help the team.
Good is skill not the mech, remember old saying about bad workman blaming tools? besides many will tell you there are many good light pilots.

There are many good light pilots... somehow I'm one in my unit more because of scouting abilities and target ID at range... but if you think narc, tag and uav is going to be useful in the solo pug queue WHERE the low numbers are being seen... the fact is even using the equipment, doesn't mean you're going get a team that has the initiative OR balls to actually use that information unless you're in a premade on Comms, which land in an entirely different queue.

For months, light's at the upper end of the elo brackets have slowly devolved into only sniper based platforms or as supportive ECM cover (only recent narc changes made that piece of equipment worth the tonnage). At those brackets crack shots and heavy PPFLD meant that many a light is legged and/or one-shot. The best pilots still had to shield themselves amongst allies until the battle was in their favor or the enemy routed. Hell even in the current solo queue light's are still being instantly legged or melted under extreme alpha's from heavier machines at range, scouting is only as useful as the information it provides and what is used by your team.

We've had threads for 2 years on how light's still ain't rewarded for their role warfare... instead the light's evolved into pinpoint strike fighters/brawlers or long range snipers rather then actual scouts. Is it any wonder light's ain't played as much as the heavies and assaults, or even the mediums.

Until the roles of actual role warfare are rewards and emphasized, it's either easier to ton up and carry or evolve into brawl strikers hiding amongst your heavier cousins because scouting really only works in groups with comms. Afterall every likes to chase an easy kill or squirrel then turn around to a called flank coming up behind them... someone else will handle it apparently.

#166 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Unfortunately I only have 3 Heavy mechs as I could only afford 1 A la carte Clan buy.

Now I have 3 Timbers.
I love Medium and Light mechs but I have to wait for the Clan mechs to be released.

I sold all my IS mechs because I am Clan.

I suppose that makes me crazy, but I like to think of it as dedicated.... ;)

#167 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

View PostApostal Sinclair, on 04 July 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

There are many good light pilots... somehow I'm one in my unit more because of scouting abilities and target ID at range... but if you think narc, tag and uav is going to be useful in the solo pug queue WHERE the low numbers are being seen... the fact is even using the equipment, doesn't mean you're going get a team that has the initiative OR balls to actually use that information unless you're in a premade on Comms, which land in an entirely different queue.

For months, light's at the upper end of the elo brackets have slowly devolved into only sniper based platforms or as supportive ECM cover (only recent narc changes made that piece of equipment worth the tonnage). At those brackets crack shots and heavy PPFLD meant that many a light is legged and/or one-shot. The best pilots still had to shield themselves amongst allies until the battle was in their favor or the enemy routed. Hell even in the current solo queue light's are still being instantly legged or melted under extreme alpha's from heavier machines at range, scouting is only as useful as the information it provides and what is used by your team.

We've had threads for 2 years on how light's still ain't rewarded for their role warfare... instead the light's evolved into pinpoint strike fighters/brawlers or long range snipers rather then actual scouts. Is it any wonder light's ain't played as much as the heavies and assaults, or even the mediums.

Until the roles of actual role warfare are rewards and emphasized, it's either easier to ton up and carry or evolve into brawl strikers hiding amongst your heavier cousins because scouting really only works in groups with comms. Afterall every likes to chase an easy kill or squirrel then turn around to a called flank coming up behind them... someone else will handle it apparently.

So what you are implying is that the game is not suited for Lights, that is very true in my opinion.
What you should be asking for is that PGI make a game that is suitable for content (mechs) they provide and not to fix it so that people who do not like to pilot Lights are forced (3x4) to use them, especially when the game doesnt suit them.
Thats really the point isnt it? alot of people saying we want more lights/ we want more reward, buff lights, make the MM so it forces more Lights, when in reality the game doesnt have a role for lights. You are asking more people to use a mech that by the games nature is obsolete.

#168 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 July 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Thats really the point isnt it? alot of people saying we want more lights/ we want more reward, buff lights, make the MM so it forces more Lights, when in reality the game doesnt have a role for lights. You are asking more people to use a mech that by the games nature is obsolete.

Underlined = good, it gives incentive to play them by rewarding them for doing so. Striketrough = bad, it forces people to use them, while at the same time punishing them for doing so.

Don't think those options are usually suggested by the same person.

#169 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

I dont know, its like Playing a WW2 air sim and saying buff + extra reward the Bombers because i cant get enough air kills in them.

#170 TyphonCh

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

Meh. Gives me more reason to master my lights. I've been playing them more than ever

#171 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 July 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

Yeah, a rock paper scissor system was one of the first thing I suggested when I started playing this game. Make assault mechs too slow to deal with light mechs, still able to deal with heavy mechs and slow medium mechs. So you get light < medium < heavy < assault < light.

You could also just make the landscape entirely flat, and just give each class various advantages and disadvantages, without making one inherently better than the other, or using any kind of rock, paper, scissor design. That removes a lot of interesting tactical aspects of the game, but is probably easier to balance.

I disagree. Assaults are the boogeyman because they can pack big guns. Unfortunately, due to DHS 1.4, they're extremely limited in their ability to use them. A light mech can go crazy with alphas and then run away to cool down. An assault really can't do that unless they're poptarting.

#172 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 July 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

I dont know, its like Playing a WW2 air sim and saying buff + extra reward the Bombers because i cant get enough air kills in them.

If they're badly balanced when it comes to rewards with other roles, then I guess it would make sense to buff them.

#173 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostUrsh, on 04 July 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

I disagree. Assaults are the boogeyman because they can pack big guns. Unfortunately, due to DHS 1.4, they're extremely limited in their ability to use them. A light mech can go crazy with alphas and then run away to cool down. An assault really can't do that unless they're poptarting.

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that the balance between assault and light mechs is fine, because assault mechs will overheat, while light mechs can run away? Or are you saying that the way to make the game balanced is to adjust the heat values?

#174 Dakshinamurthy

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

Shouldn't 3/3/3/3 be even easier in high elo brackets? Especially for big groups? You just don't let them launch without the right selection of mechs, so for a 12 man you don't let them start searching until they have 3/3/3/3. In situations where you have lots of 2-4's, just suck in some lights and mediums from the solo que, I doubt anyone will complain it's simply more fun to play with the big boys than a bunch of scubs.

Solo que seems to be working fine and i've been getting fantastic matches.

Edited by Dakshinamurthy, 04 July 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#175 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostDakshinamurthy, on 04 July 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

I doubt anyone will complain it's simply more fun to play with the big boys than a bunch of scubs.

Well the forums are filled with casual groups complaining about being dropped into one sided matches against bigger and more coordinated premades, while being ridiculed by the PUGs, who blame them for terrorizing their pre-patch queue.

You can bet that a fair amount of people would complain, if they started adding these PUGs into the big man queue.

Of course, if there was a checkbox for the solo droppers, giving an option to drop into either queue, that would be something else.

Edited by DemonRaziel, 04 July 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#176 Veebora

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 03 July 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

It's because you don't get rewarded squat for doing your part in Role Warfarce.

In a good game in my Kit Fox when I'm Narcing enemies left and right, switching ECM to counter, narcing ECM mechs, launching a UAV over 8 enemies, and giving stealth field to the Atlas Warhawk Direwolf I still get paid a measly 100k minus 40k for the UAV.

Now tell me why anyone would choose to do all that for almost no rewards. The only reason is because I paid real money for the thing and that's the sole reason.

If they would give decent rewards to lights for doing things other than dealing lots of damage and killing mechs you'd see more of them.

That is exactly the point!

#177 VeryVizzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:00 AM

Anyone done any better than this:

Posted Image

6% Light, 4% Medium, 69% Heavy & 20% Assault

Taken today at 1:00(ish)pm GMT

#178 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostVeryVizzy, on 04 July 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

Anyone done any better than this:

Posted Image

6% Light, 4% Medium, 69% Heavy & 20% Assault

Taken today at 1:00(ish)pm GMT

That's pretty bad.

Although when I was dropping last night in my Stormcrow Lights were as high as 25% last night, with an average of 15%.

Not sure why.

#179 Dakshinamurthy

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

I already explained it earlier in the thread. Because of 3/3/3/3 lights and mediums get sucked into matches quicker, so the %'s seem skewed. Just as many people are playing lights/mediums but since they have no wait time and heavies/assaults do, the %'s of heavies/assaults slowly tick up. That's my hypothesis anyways.

Edited by Dakshinamurthy, 04 July 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#180 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

​Boring!
Nothing has changed for the lights.
This argument is moot.
There is no light crisis.
Lights are lights and the balancing factor is tonnage not whether they can compete with heavies.
The so called lack of lights problem has not changed since the patch.
There is no problem. Business as usual.
The complaint that Lights don't have a role is old and true.
They will but don't expect much until Community Warfare, your guess on a timeline is as good as mine.

wow i need to stop viewing this topic.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users