"friends"

42 replies to this topic

#1 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I've played like 1500 games now and I still only have one "friend". Its some person who randomly added me and I have not seen him available for a drop ever since. So I'am a bit of a loner.

So today, I had this great game with a fast Atlas DDC besides me( I was in my Ilya (3XAC10)). He was going WAM BAM PEW PEW with his PPCs and lasers and I was going BANG BANG with my AC10. We were in the zone and we had a jolly good time(at least I did, I think he enjoyed it too). He was uncannily fast for a DDC and was smart about moving around cover and I moved in sync with him. We killed about 6 of the bad guys. :blink:

Now THAT'S a pilot I wouldn't mind dropping in and getting my hands dirty with. But would it be weird if I just go ahead and add him and send him a friend request? Will he be like "WTF does this guy want"? I feel awkward about this :/

Edited by Gayang3, 03 July 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Yes, it would be very weird. You don't just add people to your friends list after the very first game together. You'll seem desperate. I always wait until the second or third game. And I wait two days after adding them to my friends list before asking if they want to hook up in a group. If they try to message me right after I add them, I play hard to get for a while, to make them interested.

But this is all much easier when you get a good wingman.

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

This just shows how very little social aspects this game has. No VoIP, no in game messaging, no in game group requests.......

#4 ACfromDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Check out Comstar NA or NGNG Team Speaks....Info for each servers are contained in link. http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/

They have looking for group dropship channels...great place to find people to play with in a group and/or new friends.

#5 Bobby Blast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

You need to smooth into 2nd base bro. You've already held hand, that was the ice breaker. Now ease your way into 2nd base and reach in for the kiss and if he turns his head don't feel awkward it will come with time... After you're comfortable there start the "Wandering Hand Technique™" that'll be your transition to 3rd... Wait... What were we talking about?

Edited by Bobby Blast, 03 July 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#6 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

An in-game social network is really needed. The ability to create persistent public and private chatrooms would go a long way to joining the community together. There are more people who don't come to these forums than play the game. Having a way to meet and communicate with people in the lobby would go a long way to helping build a community with more of the player base.

I suggested this in their Social UI features feedback. But it did not happen. Either because it's hard to implement or wasn't a priority.

#7 Vweegit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts
  • LocationEvans, NY, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 July 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yes, it would be very weird. You don't just add people to your friends list after the very first game together. You'll seem desperate. I always wait until the second or third game. And I wait two days after adding them to my friends list before asking if they want to hook up in a group. If they try to message me right after I add them, I play hard to get for a while, to make them interested.

:blink: Totally beat me to it.

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

JUST GO FOR IT! Whats the worst he can do say no? Just have a tub of ice cream, and a DVD of "the note book" ready in case of denial.

In all seriousness though just send the damn invite he will accept, then you can tell him you want to have his Atlas' babies.

#9 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostGayang3, on 03 July 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

I've played like 1500 games now and I still only have one "friend". Its some person who randomly added me and I have not seen him available for a drop ever since. So I'am a bit of a loner.

So today, I had this great game with a fast Atlas DDC besides me. I was in my Ilya (3XAC10) and we had a jolly good time. He was uncannily fast for a DDC and was smart about moving around cover. We killed about 6 of the bad guys. :blink:

Now thats a pilot I wouldn't mind dropping in and getting my hands dirty with. But would it be weird if I just go ahead and add him? He will be like WTF does this guy want? I feel awkward about this :/

Weird? Meh. Less weird if you sent him a message, referencing that game and saying "Want to team up again?" Yes.

Also, to all the "crap social functionality posts!" Yeah. Agreed.

#10 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Remember to keep your options open. There are plenty of mechwarriors in the inner sphere. What if you dropped with this guy once and he was like "I want to introduce you to my Unit Leaders". You've got to let him know that this was supposed to be just a casual thing. You know, just drop in a few matches, get to know each other.... Nothing serious. If he understands, you've got yourself a winner. Otherwise, you've got to ditch the bro. Start telling him you really like Therma and only want to drop there from now on. Tell him you own like 30 Locusts because they keep showing up at your door all legged and helpless. That kind of stuff.

Really you shouldn't be thinking about this kind of stuff at all. You're too young.....

#11 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 03 July 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Weird? Meh. Less weird if you sent him a message, referencing that game and saying "Want to team up again?" Yes.

Also, to all the "crap social functionality posts!" Yeah. Agreed.

How do I send messages through MWO? I don't see any way of doing that in the interface.

#12 Bobby Blast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

This thread delivers on so many levels.

#13 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 03 July 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Remember to keep your options open. There are plenty of mechwarriors in the inner sphere. What if you dropped with this guy once and he was like "I want to introduce you to my Unit Leaders". You've got to let him know that this was supposed to be just a casual thing. You know, just drop in a few matches, get to know each other.... Nothing serious. If he understands, you've got yourself a winner. Otherwise, you've got to ditch the bro. Start telling him you really like Therma and only want to drop there from now on. Tell him you own like 30 Locusts because they keep showing up at your door all legged and helpless. That kind of stuff.

Really you shouldn't be thinking about this kind of stuff at all. You're too young.....

Well thats actually a concern I have. What if I "friend" someone because of some one-game I had and then later find out that he is a bit of a non-player. Will he be able to harass me with drop requests and stuff? I don't want to be making mistakes with my very first one.

#14 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostGayang3, on 03 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well thats actually a concern I have. What if I "friend" someone because of some one-game I had and then later find out that he is a bit of a non-player. Will he be able to harass me with drop requests and stuff? I don't want to be making mistakes with my very first one.

I seem to have forgotten you can't message someone not your friend (unless they changed that?)

Throw him a friend request, then a message if he accepts.

If he ends up being a douche, remove him...then you won't get messages, and you can ignore his requests for friendship.

#15 IronChance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Most socially awkward thread I've ever read.

OP - sending friend invites to people you noticed played well is a pretty common practice, even among people on TeamSpeak already. I've done it to others and had it done to me several times...

...yeah, there's just no getting away from the innuendo here, is there? :blink:

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

lol

feels like we're all 12 again and right in the puberty. :blink:

I'd say let's just all invite gayang3 and the first who get him go drop and take some screens :)

Don't worry gayang, we'll make a good forum warrior of you. :blink:

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 July 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by 627, 03 July 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#17 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostGayang3, on 03 July 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

How do I send messages through MWO? I don't see any way of doing that in the interface.

Double click their username after they've been added as a friend.

#18 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'll be your friend.

#19 KAT Ayanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 03 July 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

This just shows how very little social aspects this game has. No VoIP, no in game messaging, no in game group requests.......

This ^

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

look them up on the forums, PM them, look for units, find some buddies in the TS servers in PUGs there, most are going to be pretty amiable to new players and helping them out and dropping in games with you.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users