When Did It Become Lrm Solo Warrior Online?

19 replies to this topic

#1 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

So the last few times I have come online to battle, it just seems like a freaking joke as far as lrm count goes. The amount of lrms in the game is too high. Also seems that no matter how I play with lrms, I get next to no damage scoring from them, where as opponents hit me in my heavies and assaults and its like i have paper for armor.....

Another thing I have noticed, since the clan implementation at least, is that the game has a high number of matches where NO teammates talk or take orders and go off on their own or let you be slaughtered after they start a skirmish. Ive been through well over a dozen failed matches tonite thanks mostly to this....really making me want to just uninstall and avoid the anger, but I love this game too much.......PLEASE fix this somehow lol...not asking much is it!? hah!

would be nice to see these poor players take a bill hit maybe based on voted demerit points or something similar? Just seems that there is too much bs going on and it REAAAAALLLLY needs to stop......CAPS!

anyway, i love the game as far as the way it looks, most of the functionality, the sounds, and the way you have handled a lot of the glitches with the patches, time to focus on the community for a bit and help get everyone on the same page: If you play mwo, team play, and don't flood the servers with lrms lol...

#2 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostDJFrost, on 03 July 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

So the last few times I have come online to battle, it just seems like a freaking joke as far as lrm count goes. The amount of lrms in the game is too high. Also seems that no matter how I play with lrms, I get next to no damage scoring from them, where as opponents hit me in my heavies and assaults and its like i have paper for armor.....

Their skill > your skill, rest of post irrelevant.

#3 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

View Postollo, on 03 July 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Their skill > your skill, rest of post irrelevant.

Really nothing more to add, only snark? Very well thought out post there, nice work.

#4 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

View PostDJFrost, on 03 July 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

Another thing I have noticed, since the clan implementation at least, is that the game has a high number of matches where NO teammates talk or take orders and go off on their own or let you be slaughtered after they start a skirmish. Ive been through well over a dozen failed matches tonite thanks mostly to this....really making me want to just uninstall and avoid the anger, but I love this game too much.......PLEASE fix this somehow lol...not asking much is it!? hah!

would be nice to see these poor players take a bill hit maybe based on voted demerit points or something similar? Just seems that there is too much bs going on and it REAAAAALLLLY needs to stop......CAPS!

anyway, i love the game as far as the way it looks, most of the functionality, the sounds, and the way you have handled a lot of the glitches with the patches, time to focus on the community for a bit and help get everyone on the same page: If you play mwo, team play, and don't flood the servers with lrms lol...

Next time you want to work with LRM's see if you can get a buddy to help with Narcing enemies, always narc slow assaults first if possible, they have zero chance of getting to cover especially if your own team has more than one LRM boat.

Also you will get matches where the enemy has loads of LRM's, and it is just non stop rain, check for lights narcing your own. While on your own team you get one guy that brought an LRM 10.

#5 Demuder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Many people think LRMing is easy. It's not. It does take some amount of skill and you need to adjust your playing style in order to be effective with them - I am not talking about inflicting damage, I am talking about suppressing the enemy and supporting your team. Just the same, when facing competent LRM players, you do need to adjust your playstyle, otherwise you get slaughtered - as you should.

So, honestly, if you get slaughtered by LRMs, keep practicing. If you do no damage with LRMs, again, keep practicing. LRMs are a lot of things but certainly not overpowered.

#6 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

i honestly don't think it's a matter of playstyle, I could drop dozens on a target within range with no obstructions and it still seems to do almost nil damage compared to myself being hit by the same amount. I am not the only one who noticed this. A few people in game, and on some posts I have read through mention the same thing.

I also didn't really mean that the lrms are overpowered, just over used, and the way the AMS system works seems to do squat against any amount of lrms.....Even 2 ams running seems weak....

Combine this with the random players dropping in just to check out the clan mechs and who do not care about team play at all, its starting to make the game a little unbearable.

Things were going fine until the clan packs (and the masses of crap players) came out.

#7 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostDJFrost, on 04 July 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

i honestly don't think it's a matter of playstyle, I could drop dozens on a target within range with no obstructions and it still seems to do almost nil damage compared to myself being hit by the same amount. I am not the only one who noticed this. A few people in game, and on some posts I have read through mention the same thing.

I also didn't really mean that the lrms are overpowered, just over used, and the way the AMS system works seems to do squat against any amount of lrms.....Even 2 ams running seems weak....

Combine this with the random players dropping in just to check out the clan mechs and who do not care about team play at all, its starting to make the game a little unbearable.

Things were going fine until the clan packs (and the masses of crap players) came out.

If you are Narced or being Tagged you will take loads more damage, also if the guy shooting at you got line of sight and is using Artemis he will deal more damage than you would with the same amount of lrm's if not assisted by tag or narc.

I ran a Lrm boat fitted with Artemis and Tag for a while and never had any problems scoring high damage, when you throw Tag or Narc in the mix you will get much better damage.

I agree with your statement that Lrm's are overused, they are not OP it is just the amount that comes your way that makes them devastating, and AMS is worthless, most of the time I don't use it it is just a waste of tonnage. I am using the RD module now and cover where I can works much better.

Only advise I can give you on dumb team mates is join a group or a couple of friends, and try to advise the random players on your team. It rarely works cause you know everybody is a hero, but sometimes it does and that makes matches much better even if you lost as long as it was close and a good fight.

Edited by Duppie1974, 04 July 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#8 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

You know how many times i gave up doing damage only to stay hidden and provide narc (on the enemy ecm carrier) for you lurm spammers... be thankful OP.
if you see a single ecm light going off to the other side of the map... the first thing NOT going through his head is engaging the enemy. But to spot/mark for your lurms.

Edited by Navid A1, 04 July 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#9 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

No shoot lurms at fast target. you miss. Shoot slow target like you in heavy/assault. Go down fast.

Lurms knowledge 101. Caveman course. ugh ugh

Bonus course. Clan lurms not very good. AMS go yummy yummy

#10 Rashkae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

This is actually why I wish they would bring back re-arm costs. Then at least a LRMboat + Artemis would need to watch his ammo or kiss c-bills good bye.

#11 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

View PostRashkae, on 05 July 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

This is actually why I wish they would bring back re-arm costs. Then at least a LRMboat + Artemis would need to watch his ammo or kiss c-bills good bye.

Agreed back when we had R&R, halve the builds we see today would not have existed. Mechs with XL engines were scarce, all these nifty upgrades and over use of ammo will cost you more than what you would get out of a match. R&R was good at balancing builds out, also lots less assaults will roam the fields.

Edited by Duppie1974, 05 July 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#12 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

I agree with the OP. When PGI buffed the LRMs a few months back they over did it. Read the forum outrage by users. About 70/30 against/for the change. Instead of fixing LRMs PGI tried to buff counter measures, just making a bad situation worse.

Most (not all) LRM pilots are pilot wannabes (people afraid of direct face to face warfare) and will scream about this but... Make LRMs as they are in lore, line of sight only. If you are going to scream about this or throw insults, I could care less. It's my opinion, nothing else.

#13 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

If you aren't doing much damage with a LRM boat, have you checked smurfy and the missile tubes in your mech? If you are an LRM atlas your missiles fire in burst and enemy AMS will eat up your volleys

Edited by Fractis Zero, 05 July 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#14 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

there are a few reasons. many Clan mechs do not attach AMS is the big one. The weight of the clan LRMs allow for a build with LRMs in addition to the lasers and autocannons. Also I would like to see how many accounts that have not been used in a months are now active again. Then the number of new players. Like always some people just forget to use cover, short exposures to enemy fire. Then just think, have you ever been surprised by a DDC on alpine peaks? How did he get up in your face with out seeing him? Using terrain to mask his movement.

So what is the counter?

When you go head to head with a clan mech with AC/PPC/Laser builds they will role over you if you can not prolong the fight or get into their face with more heat efficient

So you add more fire, and one way is with LRMs.

As for repair and rearm costs, there was one problem. There was a percentage that the mech would be repaired too and ammunition replaced. so you could repair the mech and not arm it and still get 75% of the ammo free. I think we got 200,000 or 300,000 per game before anything else and after repair maybe 100,000 or less.

#15 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Things wouldn't be so bad if AMS wasn't completely useless. But, yeah, noticing a difference with marked targets, but even still, getting smoked almost instantly in most matches due to massive lrm volleys out of nowhere, even through buildings on some maps.....lol.....Kinda starting to realize it really IS mechanics and not play style....

#16 Aratan Aenor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 132 posts
  • LocationWhere Einstein wasn't looking...

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Trying to use LRMs can be hit or miss, literally. It's not just about your skill, but also the skill and loadouts of the other players in the game.

Exhibit A: In this match I did 1000 damage using only LRMs, but only because my team had a Spider and an Adder who had the courage to move out of cover and designate targets with TAG long enough for the LRMs to hit.

http://i1046.photobu...ithgoodteam.png

Exhibit B: In this match I did 60 damage with lasers and landed just 8 out of 1080 LRMs fired. This time, nobody on my team was holding target locks for more than a few seconds, and nobody had TAG or NARC. Also, the enemy team had 3 ECM Cicadas and lots of AMS.

http://i1046.photobu.../LRMvsECM-1.png

Edited by Aratan Aenor, 05 July 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#17 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

AMS is enough to take out a majority of missiles fired if just four mechs with AMS are around the target mech. There are times with LRM boats where you just stop firing and do one of two things. Wait for them to break up and engage them separately or get more LRM boats to target the mech and over power the AMS.

I will not say LRMs are over powered, but from time to time I do one shot some of the lights. The last one I did may have been Thursday night. Most mechs that you fire at have 10 -20 seconds before they are dead. That is only when they stay out in the open. Now with a Medium LRM boat in the 55 ton range there is a newer issue. I can hunt that assault down at a range I determine and kill over a few two volley exposures. That is moving at 90 kph.

Here is an example. me and three other players dropped in two Battle master's (1S) one Stalker 5M and a spider with TAG. The three of us had TAG, BAP, Artemis and 115 missiles between us. This was right after the nerf to the LRM speed buff. It was TAG by the spider, acquire locks, Fire two volleys of LRMs, Dead, Next. Charge us, and get 10 MLs to the face and the missiles if you were far enough away. Even in the Table top game a lance like that will always kill what it is focusing on. Normally with the C3 computers. That is the one difference we have free C3 computers and can do the indirect firing. Even with going to only direct firing of LRMs, unless a master and slave C3 computers are in a mech or the IC3 later for allowing indirect fire later, I still see people getting nailed by LRMs hard.

I have been blamed in a match were we had just one mech with LRMs. The comment was got enough LRMs you always win. Two maybe three volleys per mech as they were exposing themselves to my direct fire. Alone I took on two heavies and two mediums and killed them and one other light mech later (one volleyed a locust) on Terra Therma. One LRM mech holding an entire flank on the north side of the caldera. Those of us that are good with LRM boats know how to use them effectively and try for direct fire targets. Always move, in and out of cover, lest you become a target for LRMs. If you move in the open use bounding overwatch at least to take care of any mechs that target or fire upon you. Have AMS, and if you can ECM. Remember NARCs, TAG and lights with ECM in counter can mess with ECM and leave you in the open for 10 -20 seconds which is a death sentence by LRMs if targeted.

#18 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

It's because a Clan mech can mount an LRM20 for only 5 tons. So it's easier to take some with you to round out your loadout.

It's more of a weight investment for IS mechs. But you also have to have tag to be decently effective. And across the zone shots don't work very well. I usually try to get within 600 meters of the target. Though now with the clans and their superior range and DPS. It's proving to be much more difficult : /

And damn there is a lot of ECM lately. Atlas, Kit Foxes, freakin Ravens. D:

#19 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

I am starting to hear more and more about issues with weapons not doing proper damage, or no damage at all, and even more about random one shot kills, seems like I was on track with saying it was mechanics, not play style. Hop in some of the patch feedback posts and check it out, nice to know I am not crazy lol!

#20 Valten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostChaosity, on 05 July 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I agree with the OP. When PGI buffed the LRMs a few months back they over did it. Read the forum outrage by users. About 70/30 against/for the change. Instead of fixing LRMs PGI tried to buff counter measures, just making a bad situation worse.

Most (not all) LRM pilots are pilot wannabes (people afraid of direct face to face warfare) and will scream about this but... Make LRMs as they are in lore, line of sight only. If you are going to scream about this or throw insults, I could care less. It's my opinion, nothing else.

Sorry mate, I played TT for years and LRMs did NOT require the firer to have LOS, just a friendly which is exactly as it is now.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users