Harmony Gold Attempting To Kickstart New Robotech Animation. I Say We Boycott This Project.

83 replies to this topic

#41 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

Seeing how loose and fast people played with licenses in the 80´s i am surprised anyone actually got anything done.

As for this KS... it is a good idea, and they even admit it them self it is a gauge of interest. To see if there is even a point in trying to develop a series.

As for the VF-1/Jetfire/Wasp and friends and the other Robotech mechs.... At this point i simply can´t muster enough care to give a flying fornication. Yes they would be cute to have in-game but that is about it. Most of them are very sub-par mechs any way and the VF-1 design is probably the most overused design in the entire history of the animated robot world.

So while i will not join in on any blockade, But i do not feel there is a market for a Robotech revival (much like how the thundercats revival died a premature death) and as such i will not be pledging either.

#42 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 11 July 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

So while i will not join in on any blockade, But i do not feel there is a market for a Robotech revival (much like how the thundercats revival died a premature death) and as such i will not be pledging either.

The new thundercats show wasn't bad and it did have a rating that would have justified a continuation. Sadly Cartoon Network never gave a reason why they didn't renew the show for a second season.

#43 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostEgomane, on 11 July 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

The new thundercats show wasn't bad and it did have a rating that would have justified a continuation. Sadly Cartoon Network never gave a reason why they didn't renew the show for a second season.

that show as pretty awsome>I was kinda mad they did not continue it. Same with earth's mightiest heroes(avengers)

#44 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostCorralis, on 05 July 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

hmmmm, tempting, but I think I'll just buy some MC instead.

#45 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostFiachdubh, on 09 July 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

HG defended their property just as FASA would have done if the roles where reversed, FASA was in the wrong from the start to rip off Robotech and other series. I love the unseen mechs, Marauder IIc has always been my favourite and I hope they can get as many of them in game as possible without using those reseen abominations but boycotting HG does nothing but prevent another potentially great series that could indirectly bring more people to MWO and BT. Besides if HG did fold altogether it could leave the unseen rights in limbo where neither MWO nor anyone else can touch them.

You do realize the "Macross mechs" now the unseen, never belonged to HG either. Both FASA and HG used the rights of those mech images from a third party. So to say FASA was ripping off anything regarding to mech visuals then so too were HG.

#46 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostEgomane, on 11 July 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

.....never gave a reason why they didn't renew the show for a second season.

One word for you:

"Firefly"

#47 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

"Firefly"

:D Well... I'm among those few Sci-Fi geeks that did not like Firefly. I stopped watching after the third episode.

#48 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

The kind of attitude where battletech fans try to boycott HG is exactly the kind of anti-competitive practices which have hurt Battletech hugely in the past.

Battletech and Mecha didn't JUST die because people lost interest.
When you have a community which is sour, and a competitor who has anti-competitive practices (albeit formed the other way around), it KILLS the business interest in those IP's and the genre. It's just too much of a risk.

If we want Battletech to return in the long term, we have to support the entire genre, not just our little corner.
The more people who like stompy robots, the more people will decide they prefer the battletech designs and gameplay over others. It is the most unique one out there if you ask me.
We just need to encourage a strong genre instead of just this IP.

#49 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostVeranova, on 11 July 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

The kind of attitude where battletech fans try to boycott HG is exactly the kind of anti-competitive practices which have hurt Battletech hugely in the past.

Battletech and Mecha didn't JUST die because people lost interest.
When you have a community which is sour, and a competitor who has anti-competitive practices (albeit formed the other way around), it KILLS the business interest in those IP's and the genre. It's just too much of a risk.

If we want Battletech to return in the long term, we have to support the entire genre, not just our little corner.
The more people who like stompy robots, the more people will decide they prefer the battletech designs and gameplay over others. It is the most unique one out there if you ask me.

Could not have said it better myself. +1.

#50 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostEgomane, on 11 July 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

:( Well... I'm among those few Sci-Fi geeks that did not like Firefly. I stopped watching after the third episode.

Same situation though. ;)

Someone in the right position didn't like it (or whatever) and so it got cancelled.

Very well put - the MW fanbase is frequently toxic (though usually unintentionally so)

On the other hand we cannot take all the blame, as HG is pretty toxic as well.
I do not support them - but that is for the same reasons I do not support EA.

I do play a lot of other mecha games though, so I have a hard time feeling bad for not supporting HG. :blink:

#51 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

I used to like Harmony Gold, that was until they started messing with various games.

#52 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

So, why not cut off the cancerous growth before rejuvenating the genre?

#53 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostExilyth, on 12 July 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

So, why not cut off the cancerous growth before rejuvenating the genre?

Because a healthy ecosystem is BASED on competition.
The more competitors trying to promote their work the better for everyone.

#54 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostVeranova, on 12 July 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Only to a point.

To many competitors, and no one has the funds to produce very much.
(IE: no big games, movies, or the like)

There are not enough people in the Mecha world competition here to go chasing people off, so more is better....

On the other hand...
HG has been working hard to make sure there is as little competition for what they have as they can. ;)

#55 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

I get what you're saying and concur that competition is beneficial. However, it sounds as though you're suggesting that we should prop up something that should/could die just for the sake of maintaining more competition. It's sort of like saying I should eat at McDonald's even though I prefer Burger King for the sole reason of keeping McD's in business so that there's competition. Boycotting and "voting with one's wallet" is an important aspect of a free market.

In any case, I have no dog in this fight. The only game/IP I'm interested in is BT/MWO. I wish there wasn't such a negative environment with HG and the unseen nonsense because, as has been stated, I think that it does more to damage their brand than any competitor can. Suing people doesn't always seem like the best long term strategy to me. But I'm not interested in Robotech or Harmony Gold or any of that. At least not at the moment. If they as competitors came out with a better product, then I'd consider it. If they died and went away, and if the demand is there, then another competitor will fill the gap. Anyway, all the gaming companies that I love seem to vanish. FASA, TSR... What D&D has become is an utter joke, but I digress.

#56 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

The lawsuit warfare from HG over visual properties that they appear to have never had the right to own is not healthy competition.

It's just immoral greedy behavior, or at best, IMO, based on a monstrous level of ignorance.

In the past, before the cases in japan were decided showing that tatsu didn't own the visuals, many people might have accepted that HG had a right to defend their (supposed) licensure of those visuals. But the court cases make it very hard to accept that HG has any right to those visuals; because, again, HG "got the rights" to those visuals from Tatsunoko. Also, so did FASA, via TCI. Except you can see which of the two is bringing court cases over them.

In fact, HG is involved heavily in blocking the newer macross based anime products in the american market.

Edited by Pht, 13 July 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#57 queenbutterfly

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Have you guys seen the latest?....http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-07-16/robotech-academy-kickstarter-adds-enemy-spy-tier-for-haters/.76679

#58 girl on fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Why would Harmony gold need to crowd source anything?

#59 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

of course i'd love to see the Warhammer/Marauder/etc, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. but if it did i'd definitely have a drink for the occasion

funny the first thing to come to my mind watching the plot vid was: ummm, shouldn't they finish The Sentinals first? at least it was a semi-solid story already written in the right vein of things - i read the books and they were kinda sorta OK. HG is just all over the place - the new plot they dreamed up has nothing to do with anything

#60 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

11 days to go, less than 40% funded.

This may explain why HG decided to release the Robotech classic collections on DVD. Some money doing something is apparently better than no money doing nothing.

First two seasons of the Robotech classic collections, both US and Japanese versions. Volume 1 comes out late September.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users