#21 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostSug, on 06 July 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

But what is the point of it being hard? There's no reason mechs should be decelerated to a stop on terrain they can get over by turning slightly to the left.

Deceleration over high angled terrain, sure. But legs are not wheels. There's no reason I can't take another step.

I sort of agree.

Would it not be better for it to just slow the mech down at whatever rate continually to a almost snails pace for some of the more extreme angles ? (and still keep some silly ones non-climb...)

Basically it would act like some other terrain modifiers people want...like soft / muddy / sandy terrain making some mechs slower etc etc but not stopping them dead.

That way people never get stuck in the sense that they get....stuck........they just take forever to get up the damn hill is all... :unsure:

Edited by Fooooo, 07 July 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#22 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostFooooo, on 07 July 2014 - 02:02 AM, said:

That way people never get stuck in the sense that they get....stuck........they just take forever to get up the damn hill is all... :unsure:

There are places heavies and assaults don't belong...

The short answer is the hill-climb nerf was put into place a natural environment for lights and mediums to gain topographical advantage over heavies and assaults, as a soft counter to being out-gunned and our armored.

Problem is folks have little realization of that advantage and still choose to take their mediums and lights and engage heavies and assaults on their terms not their own.

That said, I would accept grossly modified movement in place of the dead-stop mechanics so long as certain grade slopes still were off limits to certain classes.

Topology is an equalizer... It's that simple.

#23 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostDaZur, on 06 July 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

I can't think of but maybe a half-dozen times where I've been unfairly impeded by the terrain to point where I felt the need to vent publicly.

Most people just complain about the poorly designed maps rather than get nitpicky over the pebble that brought them to a dead stop and cost them the match.

#24 Blarkon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Being unable to walk straight up a hill, but being able to waddle up it like a duck is one of the most "take you out of the world" moments in the game. If you can waddle up it, you should be able to walk slowly straight up it.

Also - in terms of rocks and small rises that stop you from moving - just like lights should be able to go up a slope more quickly, a tall assault should be able to step over obstacles a few meters tall that a light, because it has much shorter legs, might need to go around.

#25 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

I just got stuck in two different spots around theta on Canyon that actually did cost me a match so here's a gripe added onto the pile of "PGI go fix your maps"!

#26 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

View PostYueFei, on 06 July 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Or PGI can do it the hard way, and carry on trying to fix every single piece of every single map where the terrain glitches out and brings you to a halt continue to do nothing.

FTFY.

#27 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

I'm annoyed A LOT more by invisible walls than terrain movement hiccups. This is something that has been done properly in games for years, but is horrible in a modern game? :unsure:

My overall experience, as well as most others I would assume, would be greatly improved if something as basic as terrain was improved considerably. At least one pass of corrections/improvements would go a long way IMO.

It's one of those things you deal with in EVERY game (to one degree or another). Most pilots have learned to play around it and not let it effect them as much. That's fine, but it's still there and just the fact that you are playing AROUND the problems means that it is effecting each and every game you play.

Really Really wish they would to a 1-2 pass through the maps.

#28 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

How to fix terrain:

1) while in game, hit f9 (this will bring up your fps as well as coordinates to your location in game).
2) when you're running and trip on a rock, hit 'PrtScn' (the print screen button - this will take a screenshot).
3) email your screenshot (which will show up in your user folder of where mwo is installed) to support@mwomercs.com

They won't like immediately drop everything and push out a hotfix with your fixed map, but they seem to do a batch of a bunch of terrain fixes every couple patches or so.

#29 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

The problem is with the current system we will be fixing maps forever...
Anything waist level of lower, a mech should be able to move across even if it slows them down... (or somewhere in that range)
For the lights, they lose less speed moving across those, so they still have the advantage. I watch lights climb giant cliff walls with ease, yet the big mechs get stuck on a pipe running on the ground, or a small rock...

#30 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

this will be fixed the same time the invisible walls match the visible ones. o.0 ... one of my biggest complaints there.

#31 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostBeliall, on 07 July 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

this will be fixed the same time the invisible walls match the visible ones. o.0 ... one of my biggest complaints there.

Use the distance dealie on your crosshairs. If you're aiming at a mech across the water and your reticle says 32m, you're probably gonna shoot an invisible wall.

Fun fact, Belial is my absolute least favorite D3 boss. Blows me up like every time :D

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users