The Dire Wolf Is A Mean Mech If You Play It Smart...

57 replies to this topic

#41 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 06 July 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

The problem is, with Dire Wolves, you are relying on the opposing player making a mistake.

It's a lot like LRMs. Good players are aware of the Wolves, and stay out of their front arc. Good players are aware of LRMs and stay near cover.

Yeah....was really annoying in a grouped game where I was fighting smart players that wouldnt let me put 80 point alphas in thier face...bastids...

In pug games? OH MY...xD

High alpha direwolves feed on stupidity and lack of situational awareness...so before you know it my alt B can put 160 damage in you....

To the OP, you are TOTALLY the first guy to use that build...lel.

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 06 July 2014 - 11:36 PM.

#42 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

he is creative for sure, wow seriously PPCs AND gauss.... wow.... mind = blown

#43 Stormyblade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around Portland, OR

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 06 July 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that's playing it smart at all, just getting very lucky, not being shot at much in general, being left alone, getting shot all over your mech distributing damage, and going up against a very poor enemy team.

It shows nothing positive of the mech your playing or your skill. If you were bumped up an elo bracket you would be demolished in seconds doing about 30-50 damage if your lucky playing like that. You were slow to aim, missing a lot of your shots, shooting at pillars, bad left right side much management, prone to being killed from behind etc.

Almost any mech can get that damage and kills being left alive so long with such a shooting gallery of enemy mechs.

View PostHBizzle, on 06 July 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Seeing that your whole post is a giant insult to me directly, when do you want to dance? Where is your video?

While he may or may not have been trying to directly insult you, he's mostly right. You faced a small number of shots from the other team and either backed off or moved (so they started firing at someone else), and you were fortunate enough to be able to get in both the killing shots and some pot shots at 'mechs that had their backs to you. Yes, you had a great game, both kill and damage-wise, but you were able to play sniper for a large portion of that match, which played well into your favor. I know I'd like to be able to pack 46 shots of twin Gauss onto any 'mech I have, plus two PPCs. :unsure:

#44 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostHBizzle, on 06 July 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

I AM CREATIVE!

Yup, you can see me trying to maneuver in that video and it feels like I am backing up a Semi.

guess what , i've been using it since test server. And now with Targeting computer mk3 XD

#45 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

That's not playing smart - that's being a meta-slave with a (sort of)bad aim, which display how well the game tolerates mistakes while one's exploiting game mechanic's flaws.
If you call that "smart" I would like to see the way you'll feel when you end up against 4 dire wolves on the enemy team with the same build.
Cause that's what happens more than not - and not all the people on the world(believe it or not) really wish to feel forced to play "meta" style to be valuable assets to a team.
I think those sort of configurations should be forbidden, cause that's one of the main reasons many people complain that clans are OP, which, in my opinion, are not.

Humans will always try to optimze things by a way, that shortens their path toward achievments - it's called "effitiency"- I get that.
But allowing the mass to have a hand over that kind of effitiency would force the ones that do not to either join the tide or feel discriminated.
For me - that's running away from the challenge in the sake of easy wins(and they are so - I played the same build as I played as Mad Cat poptart for few games, just to prove it - aside of that I dislike it more than I could even begin to display).

#46 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

The mech is damned good, even with Canon variants.

I tend to run a slight modification of the Dire Wolf Widowmaker variant, 2cerppc 2clplas, 3cermlas, 1CUAC20. The standard variant of this also includes a small laser, but I forgo it for a half ton extra UAC20 ammo. I can utilize the PPC's and large pulse at range to soften a target as I close, once close enough I bring my medilum lasers and ac20 into the fray.

I've watched mechs melt under this. I'm considering adjusting it to utilize ER large lasers instead of LPL's, might even drop a Medium see if I can get an extra heatsink or more ammo on. Regardless the build works well.

I'd like to see more people attempting to make canon variants work, some are suprisingly effective, other's less so simply due to the dizzying array of different weaponry that are rather difficult to bind beyond 4 buttons [I personally never use more than 4 weapons groups, mouse just can't really handle any more than that.] It's just sad that so many people rely on the old gauss/PPC standby that's been the dominant meta for so long.

#47 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 06 July 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

I see your Cheesewolf and raise you a Siegebreaker, my good Sir!

Twin SRM6 is doable, but I wanted an Active Probe to help support pushes. Dat sweet ECM counter. Oh well. I suppose I will have to suffer with only a 94 point alpha strike instead of 102. :unsure:

(Copy and paste the direct youtube link, but change HTTPS to HTTP)

That was much more impressive than the OPs vid. I salute you sir.

#48 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 07 July 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

That was much more impressive than the OPs vid. I salute you sir.

Thank you, thank you. I know it is not a popular opinion, but I tend to believe assault mechs are meant to assault. Not to cower in the back. They have more armor, after all, than any other mech in the game. Rather they shoot me than my heavy friends.

As for Ace of Spades, in general? I have seen people who are exceptionally good at stealing kills do it in light mechs. The kill based achievements are just as flawed as damage as a way to gauge performance. What if I told you I average 750 damage per game, across most of my mechs, get between 2 and 6 kills a game, and yet have not managed 8 kills in a single game since the achievement system was created?

I rather be an asset to the team than a kill hog.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 July 2014 - 05:30 AM.

#49 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

I love the Dire Wolf, because you can do whatever you want with it. Take things to the extreme and still be effective.

Here is a taste:

Basically a well-armored hurt-turret. Pick on my little turret buddy!? I don't think so!

inb4 "so... you killed a medium with an assault, congrats :unsure:"
early response: This was the first of many in a ~1000 point game. Didn't feel like editing the rest because it was basically all the same thing from the same position. This thing really is a big turret... just stay in one place as long as your position doesn't get compromised.

Edited by Solahma, 07 July 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#50 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

In a DW I drive with the minimap more than look out of the cockpit.

#51 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 July 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

View Poststjobe, on 06 July 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Bishop Steiner is OP!!!! Nerf him!

I could live with that... :unsure:

Well duh, we've been complaining about that since CB and the devs STILL haven't done anything about it!

#52 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 06 July 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

So....what does it mean when I did it in a WubShee?

Nerf IS pulse lasers?

I did it in an Awesome loaded for bear with Medium Pulse Lasers.

But that was way back before any of this stuff got recorded. 3 of the kills were headshots at close range when enemy mechs stepped in front of me, shot one of my teammates, and then overheated right in front of me.

#53 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 07 July 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

I did it in an Awesome loaded for bear with Medium Pulse Lasers.

But that was way back before any of this stuff got recorded. 3 of the kills were headshots at close range when enemy mechs stepped in front of me, shot one of my teammates, and then overheated right in front of me.

Despite the 52.6 alpha...I think I've only gotten 3 headshots in total with it so far.

I even try some matches. Oh well, CT coring works quite well with that much damage. Easier target as well.

#54 Cord78

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

To be honest I tried the "dire whale" build that the OP used when i first got my DW. Needless to say it took just one brawl to see how ineffective it can be. Yes you get great Alpha dmg but i find the cycle times to be too slow for survival in a brawl.

Mix some UAC 5's and ER Med laser's or missiles, large lasers and a pair of LBX 20 and you got a much deadlier build that is more versatile.

The DW is definitely not a lead form the front assault mech... it is the one that comes in after the heavies have started mixing and does clean-up.

It excels as a support mech, Lets be honest.... a dual blast of LBX20 chases off lighter mechs fairly quick.

The DW does need to have friends around it because even at mastered level it still turns worse than a giant tanker ship and can get its back torn up fast by more agile mechs.

#55 Biaxialrain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 291 posts
  • LocationThe Borderlands

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I shudder to think under what circumstances one can accomplish the"Ace of Spades" achievement in an Orion VA.

Wow.

#56 H Seldon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

How do I get the enemy mechs to stop moving for me?

#57 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostCygnusX7, on 07 July 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

In a DW I drive with the minimap more than look out of the cockpit.

In a DW I drive by standing still and waiting for the planet to move around me.

It is marginally faster.

#58 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

This is what I think about your Daishi build

17 user(s) are reading this topic