Module Redesign/tweaks

12 replies to this topic

#1 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

So I have heard it time and time again, and in some cases it is not without a valid backing, "why not add perks to mechs?" Someone suggested making the Ghost Heat for a 3x PPC Awesome less then a traditional mech that slaps on 3x PPCs since it is designed to run that loadout. Or why not tweak the Summoner to be more maneuverable with jumpjets since it is hard coded into them?

I think that maybe we are looking at the wrong approach to getting these tweaks. Maybe it isn't the chassis itself that changes should be applied to be rather the module system and how it interacts/affects certain chassis with regards to modules. The latest patch with the new "Shock Absorbance" module got me thinking.

Lets take a look at a few modules:
Adv. Targeting Decay
- Current Version - "+3.5 seconds to target retention when equipped"
*However, since lights are designed for scouting, why not break out the class further and state the following give perks to classes that are geared to use it for play style? -
- Improved Version - "+3.5 seconds to target retention when equipped, if equipped by a light mech, retention is increased by +1 seconds"

Advanced Zoom
- Current Version - "A picture-in-picture long range zoom with 4x magnification."
*A snipers tool, why not buff the concept towards those who equip it as such"
- Improved Version - "A picture-in-picture long range zoom with 4x magnification, if a Gauss or ER PPC, ER Large Laser are equipped the long range zoom is increase to a 5x magnification."

Machine Gun Range 2
- Current Version - "Increases the long range of machine guns by 5.2 meters, increase maximum range by 10.2 meters."
*A tool for scouts, some mediums and other builds that can benefit from the low damage done by the weapon but get a perk for using more of them
-Improved Version - "Increases the long range of machine guns by 5.2 meters, increase maximum range by 10.2 meters. When equipped with more than 3x MGs, rate of fire is increased by .05"

Shock Absorbance
- Current Version - "
  • Light 'Mechs: 35% fall damage reduction
  • Medium 'Mechs: 30% fall damage reduction
  • Heavy 'Mechs: 25% fall damage reduction
  • Assault 'Mechs: 20% fall damage reduction
-Improved Version -
  • Light 'Mechs: 35% fall damage reduction
  • Medium 'Mechs: 30% fall damage reduction
  • Heavy 'Mechs: 25% fall damage reduction
  • Assault 'Mechs: 20% fall damage reduction
  • If equipped by a fixed JJ mech, a 10% additional fall reduction is added

Proposed New Modules:
PPC Heat 2
-Concept/Version - "Decreases Ghost Heat by -1 when firing more then 3x PPCs, when equipped on an Awesome, Ghost Heat is further reduced by an additional -2"

Hardened Armor Module
-Concept/Version - "When equipped on a mech, the base core armor components are increased by the following values:"
  • Light 'Mechs: +1 armor points to CT, RT, LT
  • Medium 'Mechs: +2 armor points to CT, RT, LT
  • Heavy 'Mechs: +3 armor points to CT, RT, LT
  • Assault 'Mechs: +4 armor points to CT, RT, LT

Final Thought:
I can go on and on regarding each chassis, the ability to use the pilot tree modules to build in the perks/tweaks to help bring them back into play or even make their play more fun. The thought is that it will make you want to master mechs to get that added module slot to be able to stack multiple modules that have geared perks on them towards a mech.

ie. An Awesome with a "Hardened Armor 2", a "PPC Heat 2" and some other module would be a new reason to play the mech towards its original design....

I hate running the same modules as the spice of the week, but overall, I would love to see more diversity and use of other modules, even mech specific ones, to really push you to want to master and gain modules.. . Not just drop with Air Strike, Radar Deprivation and something else on every single mech....

Thoughts?

#2 Chemistry Warden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

JJ mechs don't need any more help regarding fall damage reductions.

I think that many of your ideas are good, but would still be much better implemented at the mech quirk level. Many of the quirks that people want added to lights and underutilized mechs (read: the awesome) are basic buffs that shouldn't necessarily be "end-game content" as the modules are largely considered to be.

#3 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostChemistry Warden, on 06 July 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

JJ mechs don't need any more help regarding fall damage reductions.

I think that many of your ideas are good, but would still be much better implemented at the mech quirk level. Many of the quirks that people want added to lights and underutilized mechs (read: the awesome) are basic buffs that shouldn't necessarily be "end-game content" as the modules are largely considered to be.

I don't disagree, but I doubt there is much use of more then 4-5 of the modules we have plus I see the endgame/specialization of a mech an important element that could crank this game up a little more. Arguing hardpoints and quirks are good, but lets be honest, the pilot trees for each chassis should reflect the mech in the elite level, not just be copy and paste.

#4 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

There's already a long list of actual lore Design Quirks they could add to chassis; for instance you could give the Awesome Improved Cooling Jackets for its stock PPCs (-1 heat per weapon so equipped).

#5 Chemistry Warden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostCreovex, on 06 July 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

I don't disagree, but I doubt there is much use of more then 4-5 of the modules we have plus I see the endgame/specialization of a mech an important element that could crank this game up a little more. Arguing hardpoints and quirks are good, but lets be honest, the pilot trees for each chassis should reflect the mech in the elite level, not just be copy and paste.

I'll second that regarding pilot trees

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Modules? Upgrades? They both need help.

Its stupid as hell that we need an obscene amount of GXP followed by a pretty obscene amount of Cbills to buy ONE(1) single module for one mech.

And on the matter of Upgrades, why do I have to BUY back the basic fire control system? Or standard armor or structure? I mean, my damn mech just had it on...I didnt sell the stupid thing, I removed it...and then put Artemis....

Also Weapon ammo, why cant we sell it?

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Ghost heat reduction modules would be very interesting!

#8 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

i think just giving some of the weapon modules more range would be a huge plus especially with the clan weapons have longer ranges.

I'd be happy with SL/SPL getting like a 25m boost or something. at least them get into MG range.

yea I thin kthe upgrades should also be one time buys PER mech...

Edited by Bigbacon, 07 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#9 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 07 July 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Modules? Upgrades? They both need help.

Its stupid as hell that we need an obscene amount of GXP followed by a pretty obscene amount of Cbills to buy ONE(1) single module for one mech.

And on the matter of Upgrades, why do I have to BUY back the basic fire control system? Or standard armor or structure? I mean, my damn mech just had it on...I didnt sell the stupid thing, I removed it...and then put Artemis....

Also Weapon ammo, why cant we sell it?

1) IF you were to buy those module systems for every single mech it would be super expensive. Buy one and switch....

2)You don't BUY it back, you pay to have it put back on. Mechanics dont change tires (or modules :unsure: for free) Why would you downgrade anyway?

3)Never realized that....we should be able to sell ammo if we sold the weapon too.

#10 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

+1 to the Op's idea. I like it.

#11 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 07 July 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

1) IF you were to buy those module systems for every single mech it would be super expensive. Buy one and switch....

2)You don't BUY it back, you pay to have it put back on. Mechanics dont change tires (or modules :( for free) Why would you downgrade anyway?

3)Never realized that....we should be able to sell ammo if we sold the weapon too.

My point was, why we need to buy it twice anyway? 15K GXP and then 6 million cbills? Why not 1 or the other? And certainly why 6million? 6million is like.....hundred games? We make what? 40k a game? with premium maybe 100K...if the game is really damn good....

****, if stuff in World of Tanks had prices like that, people would still be down at Tier 3....

Guess Canada is a very expensive country, cuz prices in this game are kinda high overall...

Downgrade Artemis for standard? In case, you know...maybe I want the space?

But if we are going by the logic of "Buy to put it on" that should apply to weapons and ammo to....as it is, it doesnt, so why it need to apply to that?

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 07 July 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#12 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

I won't invest in new modules since the seismic fiasco. Was considering the radar break but will wait till that gets nerfed to hell first to see if its worth it. Beyond that there was talk of making consumables separate from modules so then it might be worth it to add but as it stands only a few are worth the expense so I am fine.

#13 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Modules probably need a tweak across the board. Chassis-specific quirks and upgrades should be in a separate skill tree.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users