28 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

I recently lost a 12-man match where the opposing force used a legging tactic. Once each mech had been legged, they would then move to the traditional Center Torso focus, or the remaining leg. This was obviously effective in limiting our mobility. We were surprised that it was as effective as it was in an overall sense. I'm curious to know if others in the community frequent this tactic.

I've always mostly focused on that CT component destruction kill, but sometimes consider disabling a mech by focusing on a particular weapons system to neuter the enemy first. I hardly ever focus on the leg destruction of anything except a light mech. Is intentional single or double legging on heavier mechs a rarity or is it common? Is it becoming more common with the scalar falling damage?

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

CT fire is far more efficient at getting kills.

That said, if the enemy pilots are careless they will often wind up doing a good bit of damage to their own legs, most especially after the recent fall damage rework. This can make aiming low a much more potent and effective tactic. Plus, legs always face in the direction of movement and are much harder to protect than the torso (which can twist independently of the direction of motion). Throw in aiming low at anything fast, plus incidental hits to jumping mechs (some do it deliberately to spread incoming hits to their legs, like Shawks and such), and legging can be quite effective. It works far less well against hull-down mechs (Stalkers, Jagers) and players who watch where they're moving and/or know how to feather their jets.

#3 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yes, sir, yes I am.

Keep in mind, however, my reasons for being a "legger" are different than what you saw. I don't ever drop in groups.

In the PUG queue with the solo droppers, we have about a 75% population of mouthbreathers that can't shoot without stopping and zooming in (ok, that might be a conservative estimate...it might be as high as 90%). When you're running about, trying to carry half a team that is basically dead weight, you need to do something to even the odds.

Clan Targeting Computers and shooting at legs is that something. You'd be surprised what 2 x CERLL, 4 x CERML and a TC4 can do to an Assaults legs in just a couple of volleys. And keep in mind, virtually every IS mech out there that's using ammo will store it in his legs. Critical hit = KABOOM.

Edited by Willard Phule, 07 July 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Ever since the SRM fix, my A1 has been legging mechs and taking names. :unsure:

#5 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 07 July 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

And keep in mind, virtually every IS mech out there that's using ammo will store it in his legs. Critical hit = KABOOM.

I do this (ashamed).

#6 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm a light pilot. So hell yes, I'm shooting your legs. Especially since everyone and their mother stacks their AC ammo there.

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

It depends on the mech and if I can correctly guess a build under-armored the legs, so it can be rather situational since the map will dictate the engagement most of the time.

Posted Image

I tend to engage close, so I also have the opportunity of choosing where I target since many of my opponents know to torso twist and keep moving, so I have enough opportunities to safely test their legs, I also often run BAP and Target Info Gathering module, with TAG on some builds, to bring up the paper doll as quickly as possible.

So generally, Lights and Jagers, I tend to target legs since light armor is so low and too many Jager pilots under armor. So, if I can quickly strip leg armor (or notice that they quickly go to orange / red), I tend to focus them down as I try to stay out of their firing arc.

It's also fun to leg Assaults, especially Atlas and now Daishi's since I notice too many are under-armored in their legs.

#8 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Mechwarriors,

Mobility is life. Unless you are piloting an OTT-7K Ostscout you need to keep moving. Limiting your enemies movement is very helpful when facing something far more maneuverable than yourself. A light mech with one leg is scrap, he most likely cannot get away from you.

Good luck.

Mechwarrior Woolf signing off...

#9 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

There are certain mechs you should always leg and certain mechs you shouldn't bother with legging unless 1) The leg is already damaged or 2) You think they are hiding ammo in there. Knowing what to target when is one of the hallmarks of a good player.

#10 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'll give legging a bit more of a concerted effort next time I drop. Good idea to consider it more earnestly on ballistic-heavy mechs that may be under-armored in the legs.

View PostPraetor Knight, on 07 July 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

..I tend to engage close, so I also have the opportunity of choosing where I target since many of my opponents know to torso twist and keep moving, so I have enough opportunities to safely test their legs, I also often run BAP and Target Info Gathering module, with TAG on some builds, to bring up the paper doll as quickly as possible...

Guess I'll have to "invest" in the Target Info Gathering module. But, man, if those things are bloody expensive.

#11 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I prefer not to shoot the legs....but if it is a light mech anything goes :D

#12 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

This is kind of a continuation of the "How important is the paper doll of your enemy?" conversation.

When you first engage, typically going torso is the best route.

But once you start getting late into the battle, paying attention to legs is very important.

It really varies though.

#13 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

With more damaged legs running around due to the increases in fall damage (at least until some get more use to it)... legs are becoming even better targets.

#14 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 07 July 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

This is kind of a continuation of the "How important is the paper doll of your enemy?" conversation.

When you first engage, typically going torso is the best route.

But once you start getting late into the battle, paying attention to legs is very important.

It really varies though.

This is good advice, I think. I do have a habit of shooting the side torso big gun on an Atlas, or the LRM "ears" on a Catapult. Oddly fast mechs usually get my guns attention in the side torso, hoping to pop an XL. Dragons and Centurions are going to get an alpha in the arm. Each mech has its own distinctive apparent (or perhaps not so apparent) weak spot(s). If I'm in a close solo fight with another mech, I'm looking for structure always.

But those legs. If I'm taking a lot of fire from an enemy, shooting their legs doesn't seem to make them back off like a couple vollies of 3 AC/5s to the face. It's almost like you wake up one day and your legs are red. I suppose it just depends in the moment. Bottom line, look for the weakness and exploit it.

#15 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Yes I am a legs man :D

Oh wait you are talking about in MWO.

It is institutional, On an assault I'll generally try to go for torso shots (no point chewing through 64 points of leg armor when you could be chewing through 64 points of torso), but as others have already noted, there are a lot of idiots out there who will strip armor off their legs to free up tonnage and that idiocy should be exploited when ever it is observed.

Likewise, against an enemy who knows how to twist the legs are often an easier target, and ammo explosions amuse me.

#16 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Aside from the obvious at shooting the legs of lights, I'll often pop a shot or two in the legs. Sometimes people really strip the armor down there and makes for an easier kill.

#17 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostLucky Strongarm, on 07 July 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

This is good advice, I think. I do have a habit of shooting the side torso big gun on an Atlas, or the LRM "ears" on a Catapult. Oddly fast mechs usually get my guns attention in the side torso, hoping to pop an XL. Dragons and Centurions are going to get an alpha in the arm. Each mech has its own distinctive apparent (or perhaps not so apparent) weak spot(s). If I'm in a close solo fight with another mech, I'm looking for structure always.

But those legs. If I'm taking a lot of fire from an enemy, shooting their legs doesn't seem to make them back off like a couple vollies of 3 AC/5s to the face. It's almost like you wake up one day and your legs are red. I suppose it just depends in the moment. Bottom line, look for the weakness and exploit it.

That's why I don't like going legs early.

They tend to take enough collateral damage from jump jets spreading damage, fall damage and LRMs while moving...that they seem like a better tactic middle to late in the game.

In the beginning, nothing backs someone off like a good 20+ damage shot to a torso.

#18 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Fast mediums or lights I'll shoot for the legs.

#19 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I got into a 1v1 with a TBR yesterday, I was in my TBT-LG. I was faster than him in the duel and I was chipping away at his CT and jumping and torso twisting to spread my damage. He stopped trying to hit my torso altogether and started targeting my legs. So I started doing the same. He managed to leg me, but didn't stick around as I would have finished him off with a couple more SRM20 volleys. I usually go for the CT, but this discussion as well as the aforementioned instance has made me more, uh, Leg aware. :D

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 07 July 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#20 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

NEVER skip leg day :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users