46 replies to this topic

#41 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostMadw0lf, on 08 July 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

There will be, during a Mechs fall, times when it hits exact m/s values, where ft/s are decimal values. Which is more precise then?

Considering there's no indication that's what happens now or what would happen at any point I might believe you more if you had some evidence, you can't just expect real world physics to automatically translate into a game with perfect precision.

And let me rephrase the last, its ludicrous to use different unit systems in the same game. You'd never have a floor plan for a building in metric, then have its height in imperial, just because "its more precise", you'd be laughed out :P

As I've already pointed out in 1 way or another the difference is that every aspect of a floor plan interacts with everything else and that a floor plan has practical applications in the real world, can't say the same is true in either way for vertical speed in MWO.

#42 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostPhromethius, on 08 July 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

All of you are thinking WAAAAY too much about this. As a designer I can only sit back and laugh but feel slightly disappointed at a very simple solution that was missed in this dilema. SYMBOLS instead of units of measure.

Vertical fall is only used in calculating leg damage. It has no bearing on anythign else in the game. SO, those saying it doesn't matter if it is whale schlongs per sec or meters per sec are correct. They should have just used a downward series of arrows in a color scale to indicate speed. example: (PRETEND THIS IS POINTING DOWNWARD POSSIBLY EVEN ANIMATED)

going this fast >>>> no fall damage

going this fast >>>>>>>> you're gonna break your legs

So if you have too many "arrows" then apply your jump jets feathered or generously till they decrease into the desired speed.

At work so I can't conjure up a photoshop version but I think it's simple enough to understand.

And the actual designer comes up with the culture agnostic solution. GG

I need to think like Ikea more often, and that's actually not a complaint in this instance.

#43 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Let's just measure the speed in %legarmor lost from fall per millidecade.

JK, ofc the proper unit of measure is metric. It's used by scientists after all!

#44 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostPhromethius, on 08 July 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yeah a fall meter should work nicely.

Here's a crude mock up:
Posted Image

#45 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 July 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Considering there's no indication that's what happens now or what would happen at any point I might believe you more if you had some evidence, you can't just expect real world physics to automatically translate into a game with perfect precision.

As I've already pointed out in 1 way or another the difference is that every aspect of a floor plan interacts with everything else and that a floor plan has practical applications in the real world, can't say the same is true in either way for vertical speed in MWO.

:P So long as the engines velocity calculations are continuous, there is no guessing about it. At some point, your Mech will hit 5 m/s (16.4042 ft/s)

Game or not, theres no reason to have an inconsistent unit system.

#46 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 08 July 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah a fall meter should work nicely.

Here's a crude mock up:
Posted Image

YES! that is exactly what I was thinking. If your arrows are red then you better cushion your fall. Otherwise they could be yellow or green. But that is easily recognizable as something bad is happening.

#47 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostPhromethius, on 08 July 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

YES! that is exactly what I was thinking. If your arrows are red then you better cushion your fall. Otherwise they could be yellow or green. But that is easily recognizable as something bad is happening.

I could get behind this.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users