19 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Pee Sheets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Forgive me if this is already present in the stats page, but I can't for the life of me find it.

To me, damage-per-round is the most telling statistic of a pilots skill. Kill are variable. We've all had plenty of rounds where we do an incredible amount of damage and present very few, or zero, kills. Total damage is a reasonably accurate measure of a players accuracy, strategic ability, and overall skill in the game, and it would be nice to see this reflected in the profile stats page.

Just my thoughts. Anyone; please enlighten me if this is already present and I'm just not seeing it.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm unaware of such a stat being available on any of those stat pages, maybe in the future. I've just dropped that info into a spreadsheet to calculate those numbers when I've looked at that in the past, or just used a calculator.

But there also seems to be errors in some of those numbers, such the number of matches those weapons have been used in being off, so I haven't tried looking at that recently.

#3 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

You can calculate this on a chassis by chassis basis, which is perhaps better.

#4 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

It's already present, but you have to add up all your weapon damage totals and then divide by the number of games played. Yes, it would be better to have it done automatically. :(

#5 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostTaktix, on 07 July 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Total damage is a reasonably accurate measure of a players accuracy, strategic ability, and overall skill in the game

...and weight class.

Is a light pilot doing 500 damage really only half as skilled as the assault pilot doing 1,000 damage?

#6 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

And is the guy how did 150 damage and got 3 headshot kills worse than the guy who did 1000 damage spread across 12 mechs and not destroying a single critical component?

#7 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Don't get too caught up in damage numbers.

I regularly post 500 to 1000 damage per game in my LRMrion. It's the nature of LRM to sandpaper and not kill things. Comparative to my Miffed Kitty, which tends to have issues hitting about 700 damage but regularly drops enemy mechs and have a higher WLR than my LRMrion...

Having too high damage per game is an indication that the build is just scrubbing armour, or the pilot has a terrible aim.

#8 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I like to judge my successes based on damage/kill, and damage/death. I add my own internal multipliers based on the tonnage of the mech. Excel can even make short work of such sorcery as damage/tonne and kills/tonne.

#9 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostTaktix, on 07 July 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Forgive me if this is already present in the stats page, but I can't for the life of me find it.

To me, damage-per-round is the most telling statistic of a pilots skill. Kill are variable. We've all had plenty of rounds where we do an incredible amount of damage and present very few, or zero, kills. Total damage is a reasonably accurate measure of a players accuracy, strategic ability, and overall skill in the game, and it would be nice to see this reflected in the profile stats page.

Just my thoughts. Anyone; please enlighten me if this is already present and I'm just not seeing it.

A pile of damage spread out all over can be the mark of an LRM boater or someone that can't aim pinpoint.

Edited by Sean von Steinike, 07 July 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#10 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

Damage dealt / total matches played = average damage per match.

I do this for the chassis/variants I feel most comfortable in, so I have a rough benchmark to aim for when trying to improve.

But it's not really a great statistic, for reasons mentioned above. As with KDR or W/L, I feel it should be used solely to help yourself improve. Assuming you like statistics for that sort of thing.

#11 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

KDR needs to be removed first, but that's not happening either.

I'd much rather have an average kills/assists per match than KDR, but whatever. More intelligent stat representations that don't exclusively encourage over-cautious behavior that loses matches are probably nowhere on the priority list for this game. Though to be fair everybody would be trying to buff their "kills per match" stat as much as possible.

Damage per match would be kind of meh, unless it showed each individual chassis. I can LRM boat just fine on my Adder and get some hilarious damage numbers, while a poptart kit fox will generally score less damage with much more effective results due to the fact that every shot is pretty much guaranteed 20 on the CT.

#12 ThermidorFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

The stats page really could do with a pretty big overhaul if you ask me. Integration into the game client would be nice (so clicking stats on the home screen doesn't just open your browser), extra info added such as 'Avg. Damage Per Round', I don't know why we have K/D ratio but not a W/L ratio, total career Cbills? Ability to sort Mechs so we can order them by any of the variable there, also maybe add 'Avg. Damage Per Round' here too so you can see it per chassis. Being able to change order of all the stats would be good really. What I really want to know though...why the hell is avg. Cbills a match called "Accumulative C-Bills Per Match" but avg. XP is called "Avg. XP Per Match"? What is the reasoning for that, I'd love to know.

Edited by ThermidorFallen, 08 July 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#13 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

my avg dmg in my Warhawks is somewhere around 345 lol....my KD is -10 or so and my WL is only +4.....this only in my warhawks...my overall is just pathetic.

But yes, Avg dmg is a much better determiner of how much a person does in a game.....ofc this doesnt really reflect well played Light mechs who just narc or spot or AMS like crazy...but for guys who fight, Avg dmg is good. Or our avg Assists per match...I usually get 3-7....my avg was like 5.5 Assists per battle or so....

#14 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 08 July 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

my avg dmg in my Warhawks is somewhere around 345 lol....my KD is -10 or so and my WL is only +4.....this only in my warhawks...my overall is just pathetic.

But yes, Avg dmg is a much better determiner of how much a person does in a game.....ofc this doesnt really reflect well played Light mechs who just narc or spot or AMS like crazy...but for guys who fight, Avg dmg is good. Or our avg Assists per match...I usually get 3-7....my avg was like 5.5 Assists per battle or so....

I generally find damage per kill to be a more telling stat. Just divide your total kills (per mech) by the total damage and you get a number. Aim for less than 240. Scoring lots of damage is nothing to get too excited
about if you can't hit the same place twice. Pasting your stats into a google doc is a good way to sort and manage it :P

Edited by Fierostetz, 08 July 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#15 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostFierostetz, on 08 July 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

I generally find damage per kill to be a more telling stat. Just divide your total kills (per mech) by the total damage and you get a number. Aim for less than 240. Scoring lots of damage is nothing to get too excited
about if you can't hit the same place twice. Pasting your stats into a google doc is a good way to sort and manage it :P

I prefer damage per kill+assist myself. Aim for much lower -- theoretically, 35 points can kill a perfectly fresh mech.

#16 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostLynx7725, on 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

I prefer damage per kill+assist myself. Aim for much lower -- theoretically, 35 points can kill a perfectly fresh mech.

Yes thats true, but averaged out over several thousand drops... its not going to be 35 :P

I don't really care about the assists when I'm checking my accuracy stats - I snapshot them weekly, or every 20 drops when "testing" a build, and chart the progress as I make build changes, etc. In that context, the assists would be a failed kill so I leave it out. I'm just using the stats to check how well I'm centering my damage.

Edited by Fierostetz, 08 July 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#17 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Stats aren't really much more than a curiosity in this game. A good match on paper might involve running round like an idiot, spraying fire in all directions and catching a couple of lucky KBs. A match with low numbers might involve spending most of the time behind the gun-line, moving to support weaknesses or pushes and only getting in small amounts of damage, but placing them at a time and place where they can do the most good for the team.

The only real gauge of your performance is how well you perform.

#18 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostHeeden, on 08 July 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Stats aren't really much more than a curiosity in this game. A good match on paper might involve running round like an idiot, spraying fire in all directions and catching a couple of lucky KBs. A match with low numbers might involve spending most of the time behind the gun-line, moving to support weaknesses or pushes and only getting in small amounts of damage, but placing them at a time and place where they can do the most good for the team.

The only real gauge of your performance is how well you perform.

Agreed, but you're referring to team players. The epeen stat warriors will always need their numbers.

#19 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostPiney, on 08 July 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Agreed, but you're referring to team players. The epeen stat warriors will always need their numbers.

That's true for some - on the flipside, I don't often go to a shooting range and refuse to look at the target afterwards.

#20 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

personally i wish they would get rid of KDR completely and id rather they NOT implement damage tracking it would just cause idiots to try and spread more damage instead of going for a kill.

also how is damage a meter of someones skill? what if there is a player out there who can cockpit anymech 7/10 times?

his damage would be abysmal but his skills would be above anyone elses.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users