Death Knell With 240 Xl Engine Worth It?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

im sitting on a chunk of Cbills that i wont be spending any time soon since ive been playing my clan mechs and ive gotten an urge for alot of speed.

would it be worth it or even FUN to max out the engine in a DK (or any commando) to experience the 171 kph max speed? or should i just wait for next PTR and do it there>?

#2 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 08 July 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

im sitting on a chunk of Cbills that i wont be spending any time soon since ive been playing my clan mechs and ive gotten an urge for alot of speed.

would it be worth it or even FUN to max out the engine in a DK (or any commando) to experience the 171 kph max speed? or should i just wait for next PTR and do it there>?

Why do you want the speed?

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

I like Commandos, I started with them in MWO, but they are not for everyone. The speed is lots of fun though.

So I'd recommend starting with a COM-1B or a COM-3A before trying on the Death's Knell. MPLs are also nice to try.

Here's a Death's Knell that I've ran for a long time once we got the engine buff.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

I start most drop-nights in my XL240 4ML TDK. It's great fun and keeps the paranoia sharp.

#5 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 08 July 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

I like Commandos, I started with them in MWO, but they are not for everyone. The speed is lots of fun though.

So I'd recommend starting with a COM-1B or a COM-3A before trying on the Death's Knell. MPLs are also nice to try.

Here's a Death's Knell that I've ran for a long time once we got the engine buff.

OH i own the deathknell already at one point it was my highest KDR mech and i already have almost all the commandos mastered (all have at least speedtweak)

i was just wondering if that level of speed is even fun in the game currently or if it was broken and choppy lol.

View PostDymlos2003, on 08 July 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Why do you want the speed?

to tear around the map, scout. take pot shots etc etc

#6 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

I believe it is worth it. That's how I run mine and the speed is a lifesaver.

#7 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 08 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

OH i own the deathknell already at one point it was my highest KDR mech and i already have almost all the commandos mastered (all have at least speedtweak)

i was just wondering if that level of speed is even fun in the game currently or if it was broken and choppy lol.

to tear around the map, scout. take pot shots etc etc

Then yeah sounds like it's worth it man.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 08 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Ah cool. ;)

Well, honestly, it might be better to simply buy an XL 225 or 235 (also since those can fit in other chassis like the Blackjacks), but having an XL 240 is fine. Here's a 225 example.

What I like best is the agility in the Death's Knell from the bigger engines, but I need to remember to lower my mouse sensitivity since it can be too agile at times in trying to keep the lasers on target.

Also, I like carrying BAP, Target Info Gathering, Adv. Seismic for sure, to help position on maps, and focus weak points. I mix it up with the third Module.

After working through some newer mechs I have, I was considering going back to an XL180 build so that I grind for an XL225 soon to stick with that (kept that 180 for a while and used it on my Locusts). I've since placed my XL240 on my SRM Jenner, but I haven't run that one in a while grinding other mechs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users