Pug Games Worse Than Ever

238 replies to this topic

#201 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

For pugging, if I get no response from chat, I usually pick and follow 1-2 mechs that I think are most likely to be game changing, usually a direwolf or DDc. This way I can try to keep a larger portions of the team's overall firepower and armor alive for as long as possible. I've even taken enemy fire for them if they dropped below ~50% hp.

any other tactics people can recommend?

Tyman

#202 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 July 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

I play solo-Q in LoL. MWO MM is heaven in comparison. ;)

I am also the supporter of pug matches being solo-q only. Fits my Marik persona real well.

Posted Image

#203 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostWarZ, on 10 July 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

I've been around the block with quite a number of clans, groups, teams.

It is amazing just how many "good" players do just that. Most take the easy meat happily. They'll do it all night long too. Putting groups in the group queue keeps people more honest.

No allowing ppl that want to join in the group que, makes us in the group que looking to drop happy.

#204 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostTyman4, on 10 July 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

For pugging, if I get no response from chat, I usually pick and follow 1-2 mechs that I think are most likely to be game changing, usually a direwolf or DDc. This way I can try to keep a larger portions of the team's overall firepower and armor alive for as long as possible. I've even taken enemy fire for them if they dropped below ~50% hp.

any other tactics people can recommend?

Tyman

I like your style. ;) But I may be biased.
I try not to be in the ball. Of course sometimes I am the ball.

#205 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

View PostDaZur, on 10 July 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Uhhh... because you are playing a F2P product and the "grind" is an integral mechanic of the product?

You're really not listening to the people who have tried apparently in vain to explain the reality that Elo is not the boogieman... I'm not going to waste my time explaining it again because you clearly have drank the boogieman Kool-Aid.

Why the hell would shooting noobs vs pros be anything to do with a grind? You get the same money if you shoot pros or noobs, just half the time your getting stomped or you are stomping them. Sorry but you are talking straight up TRASH.

WoT, WT, Dota 2, LoL, SC2, CS:GO games with or without grind do it better and fairer.
Oh and two of those games have repair and rearm, which requires 100x more grinding.

Edited by Karamarka, 10 July 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#206 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostTyman4, on 10 July 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

For pugging, if I get no response from chat, I usually pick and follow 1-2 mechs that I think are most likely to be game changing, usually a direwolf or DDc.

My experience doing this for a DW is that inevitably the DW pilot would do some weird stunt that gets both of us killed. I only had one positive experience on Crimson where the DW obviously knew what he was doing and we chewed apart a Timber Wolf. Otherwise, my PUG experience for DW is to well.. see if they are team players, and if they're not....

#207 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Solo queue is fine now.I just wish people would stop pissing and moaning about everything.

#208 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 09 July 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I WAS IN THAT GAME!!!!!

crimson straight? last guys left on our team was a timberwolf and a kitfox or puma right?
I was in Timberwolf:)

#209 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

that's how it would seem unfortunately

PGI gives great lip service to improving the game for new players (Hey that's exactly why 3pv was implemented according to Russ) yet they've made very little in the way of attempts to actually do anything about it.

One would imagine that game would benefit quite a bit from more tutorials than the movement one (Hell, I'd even settle for a pinned forum post that describes (In an up to date fashion) all the convoluted mechanics and items that are in game) ... but apparently player retention is not a problem.

#210 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,014 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

my only problem is how bad I suck I keep running into bad guys, turn a corner and like 5 or 6 are just sitting there having a barbecue or something they get up out of there lawn chairs and stomp me into the ground HOJ (home on Jam) and AOJ (acquisition on Jam) that would help me

#211 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

It seems, that most of the players think, that recent changes into mm made the game better.

As for now, the first post in this topic has only 2 likes, the second post, telling that the game became better, has 21 like.

#212 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

I've been playing at around 10 matches pr day the last 3 days and while that might not be a very large control group, or the fact that I'm 1 person, then the number of matches that have been complete stomps have been much less than the number of matches that were more evenly tied.
My experience has been one of having relatively evenly matched teams fighting eachother. And I may be in noob city, I really have no idea where my skill is at. I don't think I've played enough in the period since they started messing about with all the ranking stuff. Only recently have I started playing anything resembling more than once a month since late beta/shortly post launch.

Maybe it's just the nature of this game that once one side starts to get it going the other buckles and runs in fear...

Edited by POWR, 11 July 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#213 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

Typical pug game looks something like this:

Team Blue:
>someone types out a plan
>50-80% of the team thinks they know better and ignores this
>team runs up to "deathball" formation, leaving a string of assults/heavy mechs behind as they struggle to keep up
>enemy teams lights finds said, by now solo, assults/heavy mechs and chews them up
>team gets slaughtered when hit by the enemys fresh assults from the front and the now giddy lights from the flank/rear
>1-2 people on the team (usualy the first to die)yells something incoherent about noobs, useless team, worst team ever and so on
>the last light standing runs and hides
>7-10 min of enemy team chasing the light

Repeat.

Pug games are not that much worse then "ever", its just that the somewhat structured input/gameplay from the 2-4man groups have vanished. This is actually a good thing (in a way) since it makes Team Blue and Team Red both suffering from the same problems instead of the random draw which side has the "best" premade to help them out.

There are exceptionally good players that solo all the time, no question about it, hell when I solo I run into them all the time (and get blasted into oblivion by them) but a premade group did offer a touch of organization that could be helpful to gather around.

(actually, when I think about it, most group queue games I see looks like this too unless there is a dominant 5+ group on the team....)

#214 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

I only pug and still love it :)

Sometimes I put my commander hat on and I must admit it is getting better, people actually listen to what I have to say :ph34r:.

#215 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

been getting pug stomped all week, 4 drops in a row last night on same map Frozen city my team gets wiped out, except for those that are afk or disconnected. I guess using a Thor is not helping me either...

#216 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostCavendish, on 11 July 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

Typical pug game looks something like this:

Team Blue:
>someone types out a plan
>50-80% of the team thinks they know better and ignores this
>team runs up to "deathball" formation, leaving a string of assults/heavy mechs behind as they struggle to keep up
>enemy teams lights finds said, by now solo, assults/heavy mechs and chews them up
>team gets slaughtered when hit by the enemys fresh assults from the front and the now giddy lights from the flank/rear
>1-2 people on the team (usualy the first to die)yells something incoherent about noobs, useless team, worst team ever and so on
>the last light standing runs and hides
>7-10 min of enemy team chasing the light

Repeat.

Pug games are not that much worse then "ever", its just that the somewhat structured input/gameplay from the 2-4man groups have vanished. This is actually a good thing (in a way) since it makes Team Blue and Team Red both suffering from the same problems instead of the random draw which side has the "best" premade to help them out.

There are exceptionally good players that solo all the time, no question about it, hell when I solo I run into them all the time (and get blasted into oblivion by them) but a premade group did offer a touch of organization that could be helpful to gather around.

(actually, when I think about it, most group queue games I see looks like this too unless there is a dominant 5+ group on the team....)

I don't buy the idea that premades provided any structure at all. I've played many hundreds of pug matches and can't recall the last time a premade communicated with the team in even the most basic fashion.

#217 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

4 coherent team members make a huge difference, even if they don't communicate with the rest of the team. Right now, the typical game looks like 12 chickens per side, without heads, running aimlessly into the line of fire.

#218 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

Right now, good players can individually have a significant impact on a game's outcome, which I enjoy when I am pugging.

#219 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:57 AM

The biggest problem right now is that without any groups, it's even MORE impossible to get your team to move. Trying to get 11 other PUGs to advance is like trying to get a virgin to do something in the backseat of a car.

#220 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

I don't want to be misunderstood here. My point is that without groups, the current solo que must be positively demoralizing for new players. Not only are they thrown into the middle of the jungle and told to find their way out, while good folks are raining down on them, they are very likely surrounded by teammates similarly lost.

I too am doing laughably well against the solo que. But it's BAD FOR THE GAME. My concern is not my personal performance, but that my monetary investment was not wasted. I truly enjoy MW games, and while I may disagree with some about mechanics, features, etc, I don't want them to fail and disappear. The current "solo" new guy que is not going to help that, and nor is it really "fun" for veteran players

I'm not going to rehash yet again why I'm playing solo, but the game needs better balance and a better way to assemble games to keep folks coming back for more.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users