238 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostwolfe

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Some might take the topic of this to be another QQ thread.

In truth I hope this game thrives, I've enjoyed battletech since the 80's

However, what the hell is going on Devs when it comes to the dang PUG matches? I'm sure as hell not going to drop $55 on a clan chassis when hopping into a regualr pug to get in a few games is now just plain not workable.

It has been consistently one team just stomps the other. Its not even fun when you do win like that. It was not always like this. Yeah it was not always that great but now that I can compare the old matches to the new ones I can say it sucks now.

Talking to others to try and get them to work as a team = a waste of time. Nobody listens 9 times out of 10. They just run off in ones and twos to play it like a console game. Taking company command = a joke.

[redacted]

I have toyed with the idea of actually throwing more money at you. I spent the $80 for the Overlord package. I was so disappointed that I waited until the clan mechs came out instead of doing a pre-purchase. I'm glad I waited. Not because the clan mechs suck, far from it. They look great. However there is NO reason to purchase "digital access" to those mechs when there is not a game to play with them.

I'll consider making a purchase when the match balance is improved. As it stands you may as well call it "Call of duty - mechwarrior edition"

Edited by Egomane, 10 July 2014 - 01:31 AM.
encourage griefing

#2 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Just got out of a pug match that ended 9-12. Your experience does not represent the rest of the community.

#3 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

I don't have a problem with the solo queue. Everyone seems nice, the games are generally close and fun. Beyond that, yeah, it is kind of hard to get people in the solo queue to talk tactics, but just go with the flow of traffic and have fun.

#4 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

I find some games are stomps... I played earlier and 3 or 4 of the games were 12 - 0 or 12 - 4 type games...
The other 5 or so games though the scores were close... 12 - 10, 12 - 8 type games...

I do still get those streaks of 5 losses (or more) in a row still though every now and then...

#5 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 09 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Just got out of a pug match that ended 9-12. Your experience does not represent the rest of the community.

Grats, one time i played counterstrike and got 5 headshots in a row. Averages/statistics my friend, a stomp is more common.

#6 Ghostwolfe

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 09 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

To me that is not the norm. I played 15 games today and only 3 were anything like yours. The rest were more like 2-12, at least the ones I stayed in. I've been seeing now for the least few weeks more and more 1-12 or even 0-12 games. I'm seeing multiple players using 3P views and not even knowing how to drive the mech. Lots of trial mechs. Players running off. All of this has happened in some amount over the past year or so but just the last ...couple of weeks? Has been undoable.

#7 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Im finding games a lot better with the new match maker. Of course teamwork has been getting worse. We need voice or computer commands. Really saying"help im getting attacked" will get you killed.

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

The team that plays most aggressively is pretty much guaranteed to win. When I see my team start shuffling towards a good hiding/sniping spot out of the game I know it's pretty much already over, best I can do is hope to get a kill or two before my team gets destroyed by the other team.

Pug games are now decided by balls. If your team has them and moves together to go find and destroy the other team, they're all but guaranteed to win. If your team mills around or does that shuffle to see who can be in the back, you're doomed. It's that simple.

#9 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 July 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

The team that plays most aggressively is pretty much guaranteed to win. When I see my team start shuffling towards a good hiding/sniping spot out of the game I know it's pretty much already over, best I can do is hope to get a kill or two before my team gets destroyed by the other team.

Pug games are now decided by balls. If your team has them and moves together to go find and destroy the other team, they're all but guaranteed to win. If your team mills around or does that shuffle to see who can be in the back, you're doomed. It's that simple.

I mostly agree with this, though there is also the times your team is too aggressive and runs onto the enemy guns in 2s and 3s. Often though, a bad match will have me in my Centurion peaking and taking chances whilst the heavies and assaults are behind a wall trading Yu-Gi-Oh cards or something.

#10 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Completely agree with MischiefSC.

Sometimes very early in game you can tell your "team" is going to lose. They either split to the four winds or run around in circles as a ball not knowing where to go or what to do.

Sometimes even when trying to post helpful chat you are met with "F$@& off! type comment or completely ignored.

I have yet to DC but maybe this is may be a way to just deal with a failed team.

On a positive note there have been teams that just congeal very well and instinctive tactics come into play and ends with a win.

If there are Founders tags on our team I tend to move toward and support their actions.

Currently soloing a lot as I have a number of chassis to Master...

Cheers!
Eboli

#11 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

i have to completely disagree pug matches ive been in have been epic 9 out of 10 times. even had a game come down to a disconnect vs a zombie mech with no weapons on a conquest map

my team had the zombie and we ended up losing on points :P

but only 1 out of 10 matches would i call it a steam roll situation i have a feeling those are the games where i might get stuck being filler for some premades vs premades situation but i can deal with that once in awhile (if that really was the case) but it is completely possible other team just happened to do everything right together while my team just sucked a big one or vice versa.

Edited by Ph30nix, 09 July 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#12 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

The only thing they changed was excluding groups from the solo que, that did NOT fix the underlying problem with pugs: people are stupid.

That just meant there are less pugs being rolled because the enemy team had a better group makeup, rolls are more random essentially (some maps and spawn points can also shift this drastically, like a assault lance spawning near epsil on canyon network or dire wolves getting stuck spawning at E4 near kappa on Tournamline can be a nightmare as your basically running like hell for cover as soon as you start.)

You also have wildcard players, one guy with some skill and luck can shift the balance just enough to cause a cascade effect.

Also I lost a match earlier because my team couldn't reach a disconnected player before resource maxed, gg pgi. :P

#13 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

:P Wow... Players still think there is some magic mathematical algorithm that can clandestinely influence the outcome of a game.

Game mechanics = unregulated.
Human element = unpredictable.
Elo = unreliable.

End result = Chaos.

#14 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 09 July 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Also I lost a match earlier because my team couldn't reach a disconnected player before resource maxed, gg pgi. :P

I WAS IN THAT GAME!!!!!

crimson straight? last guys left on our team was a timberwolf and a kitfox or puma right?

#15 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 09 July 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

The only thing they changed was excluding groups from the solo que, that did NOT fix the underlying problem with pugs: people are stupid.

That absolutely solved the problem with the solo queue. If you change "people are stupid" to "people are less skilled/experienced" it makes a huge difference that those players are no longer getting farmed by groups with the organisational skills to remove any chance of a half-decent learning experience.

Sometimes I see the last few mechs alive all being played by some pretty poor players, but it's good that they're getting that chance to learn more and actually play the game. When it was the norm to get PuG-stomped the last alive would usually get instagibbed.

#16 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Mostly good hard fought games for me. Sometimes you stomp and somtimes you get stomped, pug life.

#17 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I agree that there are a lot of stomps, but I disagree that it has increased since they changed matchmaking. The game has always had tons of lopsided matches. That hasn't changed and it doesn't feel like the stomp to close game ratio has either.

Edited by Jman5, 09 July 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#18 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

i've had good and bad experiences.

The bad experiences mirror those of other posters, in that they're a bad experience because the team just huddles behind cover and expects someone else to go lock enemy mechs for their lrms, or they expect someone else to strip armor so they can show up late and detonate some fewls. Or they just expect someone else to lead the charge, even if they're in a charge-leading mech.

Talking to them occasionally works, but only if a couple acknowledge it in chat and actually move in the direction they suggest. Sometimes I'm the guy suggesting the strat for the match, sometimes I'm the guy who will go along with someone else's strat.

When we've made a failed push, and the rest of the team continues to huddle behind walls, sometimes a few of them get dinged up a bit while I'm "testing" my weapon groups and heat scale during my retreat. Not going to win the match anyways with those cowards

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

River City. Alpha, GTFO of B4. Get out. At once. Go. Go fast, go now, quit freaking standing up there until the other team rolls you. Charlie, conversely, GTFO of C2. Go to D4 with the rest of your team. Go fast, don't delay, sprint like an SOB.

Why nobody gets this....

#20 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 July 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

River City. Alpha, GTFO of B4. Get out. At once. Go. Go fast, go now, quit freaking standing up there until the other team rolls you. Charlie, conversely, GTFO of C2. Go to D4 with the rest of your team. Go fast, don't delay, sprint like an SOB.

Why nobody gets this....

Because PUGLife. SOP for me now is to suggest to catch their Charlie lance at the start of any River City game. So far, netted my teams a Timber Wolf, a Blackjack and a Centurion.. at least.

I doubt PUGs are learning much in the current solo queue environment.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users