No they don't.

#22 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostByteHacker, on 10 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

My suggestion is that we bring back R&R not just as a balancing factor but also as an immersion factor.

Really like how much effort you put into this idea! So thanks for taking the time to post this for the community.
I'm with you on this one, I believe that the game needs R&R back, as it'll help "balance" things but also provide a lot of immersion as well.

The one thing I'd add to the concept though, would be to include "Mech Technicians" into the mix.
Each Mech Lab should have a number of Mechanics that are housed there. Players would be able to spend their C-Bills training and upgrading their Mechanics (plus their equipment) or purchasing more bunks in order to hire more Technicians.

The way I'd handle repairs, as I've mentioned numerous times on the forums already, would be to allow the Mechanics to completely repair our Mechs for free - but this requires time. If you're in a barely damaged Locust, it might only take a few minutes for your crew to fix it up. If you're in a completely destroyed Atlas, it might take your crew weeks to fix it. The time it takes for repairs is dependent on: the chassis, the extent of repairs needed, the quality/quantity of Mechanics available for the job.

Having a Mech out of commission for an entire week sounds harsh, but it's free so relax a little bit. Besides, there's more to this idea - you'd be able to fix your Mechs instantly, but it'll cost you a bunch of Cbills or MC (again, the Cbill/MC cost to repair would depend on the Chassis and the repairs needed).

Boom. Easy peasy.
This type of R&R wouldn't make things too hard on newcomers, and those with limitless Cbills at their disposal would be able to use their favourite Mech every single match.

Edit:
No idea why I bounced between calling them Mechanics and Technicians.
Hope you all get the idea despite this.

Edited by Fut, 11 July 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#23 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 11 July 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Seriously?!

EVERY F2P game has Repair & Rearm because it makes sense both for game and immersion purposes.. Why no one to my knowdledge has ever complained?! :D

Sounds like someone never got to WoT upper tiers where the RR costs get so high that having a few bad rounds meant having to go back to lower tiers to grind. People hated that ****. I have no idea what it's like these days though. And no, not every F2P game has R&R costs. I can think of only two off the top of my head. Three if you include the time when this game had them.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to ******* get this: RR costs only hurt new and lesser skilled players. That's it. Skilled veterans will just keep doing whatever they want and winning even more regularly because everyone else is running progressively ******** mechs. How do I know this? Because it's exactly what happened last time and what happens in every game with RR ever. If you want RR in Community Warfare then awesome! I actually agree that RR in CW would be cool. RR has no business existing in PUG matches though.

EDIT:

This type of R&R wouldn't make things too hard on newcomers, and those with limitless Cbills at their disposal would be able to use their favourite Mech every single match.

Easily the stupidest thing I've read all day.

Edited by TOGSolid, 11 July 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#24 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostTOGSolid, on 11 July 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Easily the stupidest thing I've read all day.

Care to explain how/why my comment is so stupid?

Edited by Fut, 11 July 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#25 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

If someone can reasonably explain to me how to implement a system that is "designed" to drain millions of C-bills from experienced WITHOUT setting every single new player up for tzeh following situation, I`ll consider it`s viability in PUG games.

Player x plays 25 matches for cadet bonus

Player x buys a stalker and 1:1 copies the trial mech he felt he did well in.

Player x gets roflstomped and very heavily damaged in the next match

Player x as a casual player cannot easily afford, say, 500k in repairs. So he is forced to completely abandon the mech he just spent hours or even days acquiring, so as to spend hours or even days once again bannished to the trial mechs until he can afford repairs / His mech is auto repaired.

All so that he can drop once, get roflstomped again, and repeat the entire process from the beginning.

That player will NOT stay unless his love for BT is so HC that even our TT purists would call him excessively **** about details. That is the reason I am still here (or rather returned last march) while the rest of my unit is, as of this time, still lost to MWO forever. 22 of them are Legendary founders, and all of them still play MW:LL for multiple hours daily, and wish they could spend money on a BT game that is not P2W or obviously designed to become it. That is how hard R+R burned people last time around, almost 2 years ago. The 59000 they have collectively invested in SC could have just as easily been spent here, but they werent`s going to pay for a game that unnecessarily and heavily punishes new players while allowing veterans to do as they please, just so people will spend money on premium time. In fact, that`s exactly why we all left together shortly after OB. My or other`s "immersion" arguments hold very little water when you`re forced to play mechs you don`t want to for an exhorbitant period of time just so you can play the ones you already own.

This is even more pressing if it is a player that invested early by purchaseing a hero or champion mech ass their first mech. As soon as you start making it impossible for people to access content they`ve paid for, you stop earning money hella fast, as numerous Fortune 500 companies and Silicon Valley startups have very painfully experienced over the last 10-20 years. More often than not through class action lawsuits, more often than not resulting in their liquidation.

Develop a system that entirely precludes that possibility for PUG matches, and we can talk about the merits of reimlplementing R+R to PUG matches.

Oh, wait, we already DO: We just don`t charge R+R. ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 12 July 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#26 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

R&R was stupid, and would be stupid again; at least from a individuals standpoint.

You could apply it as a faction towards community warfare (Hey we won by spamming 24 arties! But now our factions treasury is weakend to the point that we cant afford as many planetary assaults tomarrow.)

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users