12 replies to this topic

#1 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi All,

Some people consider monetization an evil topic. However, without monetization MWO will cease to exist. People have to pay for something so that PGI can develop features, keep the lights on, run servers and pay bills.

What does this mean?

Most development will require ways to generate revenue in order to justify the resources expended. This can be either through increased player retention or through spending by individual players.

As a result, and as has been stated/suggested in some of the dev posts, we can probably expect community warfare to bring with it monetized aspects in order to increase income and generate revenue.

However, the players may or may not like how this is implemented. After implementation the players will likely have very limited ability to effect change. There are a small handful of people designing CW ... there are hundreds or thousands of players on this forum.

Assuming monetization as a necessary evil ... the purpose of this thread is to ask players to contribute ideas that they would find acceptable or useful in the monetization of CW.

Many free to play games can and do have premium content that involves added costs if players want to participate. It is possible that some or all of CW may be already planned to be this type of premium content. Before the developers present a fait accompli .. lets see if we can come up with some additional suggestions or ideas to try to guide the monetization in directions that we think might work.

Here are some to start this off ... not all of these are even good ideas ... and you would not necessarily use all of them at once ... but they are ideas ;)

1) CW pay per match fees. Each player dropping in a CW match must pay 1MC (players with premum time have no cost). Nets PGI 24 MC/CW match played ... but from an individual player point of view ... they can purchase thousands of matches for $10.00

2) MC fees for the formation of mercenary organizations.

3) MC entry fee for a player to sign up for CW. This gives the player the option of dropping in CW matches.

4) MC costs for CW related items ... drop ships? transport between planets or theatres of operations? (very design related)

5) MC costs to access specialty stores with specific CW mechs or variants. Some items only available in CW for MC purchase ... perhaps not available outside CW or early release to CW participants.

Also, believe it or not ... not everyone desperately wants CW. Some folks will be quite happy dropping in the current random open matches ... bring whatever mech you want free from constraints. However, these types of matches are inconsistent with faction based community warfare ... particularly when it comes to clans vs. IS. People have to be able to choose to participate in community warfare ... participation has to be optional. Months of development time are being spent to create CW ... which not everyone will play ... so it needs to be able to pay for itself ... this is a chance to suggest to PGI how to do that.

#2 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

TLDR/crazy talk

#3 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Two game options:

Easy mode - what we have now. (Where you farm the Cbills)

Hard mode - requires MC to enter, repair and re-arm, exponentially better rewards, ability to trade Geranium for MC(Not 1 to 1, but something that makes it worth it). MC purchasable new designed parts for mechs. Camo paints for turrets at your base that reflect your Merc/house/borderlineHomo-metrosexualSpaceFratpeople's Colors.

(Where you use the Cbills)

Edited by Biglead, 11 July 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostBiglead, on 11 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Two game options:

Easy mode - what we have now. (Where you farm the Cbills)

Hard mode - requires MC to enter, repair and re-arm, exponentially better rewards, ability to trade Geranium for MC(Not 1 to 1, but something that makes it worth it). (Where you use the Cbills)

I don't want to spend MC to play the game I read about before Closed Beta!

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Posted Image

#6 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 July 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

I don't want to spend MC to play the game I read about before Closed Beta!

But but...earning MC?!?!...

Anyway, this post seems like just an indulgent of fantasies. So I thought I'd post some ideas.

*I used indulgent to make myself sound smart, but it was just a misspelled word that my IPhone autocorrected for me, no idea what it means*

Edited by Biglead, 11 July 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#7 Frankenst3in

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

A little piece of me just died reading this.

#8 DYSEQTA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 347 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostMawai, on 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

However, without monetization MWO will cease to exist. People have to pay for something so that PGI can develop features, keep the lights on, run servers and pay bills.

So romantic and naive. The first sentence is correct. The second sentence should be "People have to pay for something so that PGI can run a profitable business.".

No matter what anyone here would like to believe, PGI does not do this for the love of the game. They do it for the money. If they did it for the love of the game we might actually have a good game right now instead of a slightly different take on a standard FPS with an "insert coins here" slot in it.

#9 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

MC for starting the game, every time you disconnect/crash you have to pay 15mc to get back in.

#10 headbasher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by headbasher, 11 July 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#11 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Excuse me, but isn't CW a key point in improving player retention by giving us something more to do other than drop in Solaris arena matches to gain shiny c-bills?

Isn't player retention good for getting money from them?

No need for crippling CW with unnecessary pay-walls.

#12 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

MC is for shiny trinkets and for having to grind less to reach the maximum needed XP or C-bills, not for giving advantages on the field.
That's P2W.

If the hardcore competitive community doesn't like that then PGI has focused on the wrong demographic.

The only other addition I'd include is allowing real money to give you priority on the drop cue, so you don't have to wait as long between matches. Again, that isn't pay-to-win, that's pay-to-cut-in-line.

Edited by ice trey, 11 July 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#13 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 July 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

so it must be very late because i lold hard.

I buy mechs, but before that i buy mechbays, then after the mechs i buy camos and paint. Occasionaly i buy cockpit items when they are in good taste(Halloween pumpkin) and NOT when they have a fkin mwo sticker on them(snowbubble from xmas) man i wanted one of those but they had a big ****** sticker mechwarrior online on them.

All that to say fkoff with monetizing anything else.

Edited by DAYLEET, 11 July 2014 - 11:34 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users