426 replies to this topic

#301 ecued

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 192 posts
  • LocationExit 7A

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

i have been extremely critical of the direction this game is taking for quite some time now, most of it tongue and cheek stuff like a vulgar comic. seriously though Gary, we really need some sort of game structure to keep things moving, as far as I'm concerned give us community warfare before we worry about modules and jump jets and more ghost heat. i sure the players in this game have spent enough money by now, give us the objective, carrot dangling time is over.

#302 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

1 Mech module is crap.
People being forced to use consumables may be a way to make money but is crap for most players, who think arty / airstrikes damage the game from mech v mech to atom bombsaway.

#303 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 14 July 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Did they think the module system was broken? I did not think this area of the game was broken. I am puzzled as to why PGI is messing around the with the module slots.

If they are going to do this, I would prefer more Mech slots over consumable or weapon.

Now that I think about it, I would love if they limited the the air/arty strikes so you had to pick only one, not both. So you cannot have an airstrike and an artillerystrike loaded at the same time. I know that is not going to happen, but one can dream. :)

Taking a trip way back in the WABAC machine, Modules were originally going to interact with efficiency trees (unique per 'mech) to be the cornerstone of Role Warfare, a way to customize your 'mech to be more efficient at one of the several roles proposed in early design. I personally think that this idea is strong design. However, it would require a gutting and complete reworking of both systems at this point, not these inch by inch measures.

I am particularly incensed at the "Consumable" slot from the context of design. Even taking away naked the Pay to Win aspect, how does it fit into the game's design aesthetic? You can have a coolant flush tank or... an air strike... ? In the same kind of slot?

But at a more basic level, while I am not a fan of Consumables in general, if they are in, they have to be integrated and balanced on the same level as other modules. Giving them their own category, above and beyond other modules, slots that can only be filled if you have the money, this is pretty much the textbook definition of Pay to Win, c-bill variant or no. (See: Hero 'Mechs and R&R.)

Modules need reworking. They need to be an opportunity to customize your 'mech in a meaningful fashion. I like the idea of Weapon modules (which are terrible) getting their own category, but other than that the whole proposal is a mess. Strangling the actually interesting and exciting level of customization through 'mech modules, while bringing back the massive Long Tom battles is like a half step forwards and a huge shove backwards off the Matterhorn.

#304 Knight Ranger

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

+1 for the list of people that don't like the idea of the "master slot" being a weapons slot. for cripes sake, we worked a mech all the way up to get that single slot - why can't it be a "general" slot that can take whatever the player wants?? and as far as consumables go, I don't even use them - too expensive / not enough bang for the buck...

#305 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just curious ...

... but is there a reason this topic still has not been posted to the Developer Vlog forum? You'd think that when someone creates a forum for specifically sharing a particular type of information ... that they would actually use it :)

http://mwomercs.com/...eveloper-vlogs/

#306 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 14 July 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

So you are the minority in this community and we are the majority so think twice next time before you post something!

how am I a minority?, it is the other way around man.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 14 July 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#307 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

citation needed :)

#308 dj_

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Very pleased with PGI. Thank you PGI team for keeping us informed.

#309 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

You are minority because you are not using any modules, it is very rare to find player like you who do not use modules. I would say that everybody using modules so you are an unique exception.

#310 Nathaniel Hazen

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

Most of what was presented here sounds great, but the specified module slots I'm not so sure about. I'll roll with it for a while and get used to it, but making your master slot a weapon module is bullshit. With the most common configuration having two weapon module slots already, adding a third will make mastering a lot of mechs (particularly lights and specialized mechs like Catapults and Hunchback-4P) pointless. The master module should either be a mech module slot, have the type selectable upon purchase, or just make it a unique slot that anything can go into.

#311 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 14 July 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

You are minority because you are not using any modules, it is very rare to find player like you who do not use modules. I would say that everybody using modules so you are an unique exception.

I used adv targeting decay, I have sensor range boost and soon to get radar deprivation. Even If I were to use these again, they really would not boost preference by any significant means. The only module I use Is advance target decay but It barely gives me an edge.

I guess I should have not said I do not use them. Now I wonder if I should edit my post or leave it there. I know a couple of secs can make a different but not a major Impact in anything. Even the advance Sensor range, I can not find a good enough use for it. Unless I feel as if I need that extra 25%, Not just the weapons but even the mech modules are not in any way game changers

What it seems they are trying to do is remove module stacks. In other words modules do not make or break a game nor should they.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 14 July 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#312 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 14 July 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

1 Mech module is crap.
People being forced to use consumables may be a way to make money but is crap for most players, who think arty / airstrikes damage the game from mech v mech to atom bombsaway.

the same I can say for arty and air, as I have said before. No modules should impact the game in a major way, they should just be things to help alleviate a certain task.

#313 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

I used adv targeting decay, I have sensor range boost and soon to get radar deprivation. Even If I were to use these again, they really would not boost preference by any significant means. The only module I use Is advance target decay but It barely gives me an edge.

I guess I should have not said I do not use them. Now I wonder if I should edit my post or leave it there. I know a couple of secs can make a different but not a major Impact in anything. Even the advance Sensor range, I can not find a good enough use for it. Unless I feel as if I need that extra 25%, Not just the weapons but even the mech modules are not in any way game changers

What it seems they are trying to do is remove module stacks. In other words modules do not make or break a game nor should they.

Yeah you should not write that. That is up to you.

#314 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

thank you, it was an error.

#315 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

thank you, it was an error.

No problem, humans make mistakes.

#316 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

For all those saying the Weapon Mods are useless:

View PostOvion, on 13 July 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

The currently not useless weapons modules are:
AMS Overload
AMS Range
Enhanced Narc
Machine Gun Range
- Due to having no drawbacks at all.

Streak SRM2 Range
- Marginally decreases cooldown time, rather than increase heat.

The only truly useless Weapon mod is the Flamer Mod.
+1M range, for the cost of even more base heat gen. :/
For 3 million C-Bills

The rest are just either 'eh', or a little pants, with too much cost, for too little gain, with a relative drawback to that gain to make them worth it.

Worst case scenario (being we don't actually know exactly how it'll be yet), is that everyone will just start running AMS Overload + Range or something.

I'll take Machine Gun Range on any given mech that runs Machine Guns.
I might even take the SSRM2 on on my Commandos.

#317 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

I would LOVE to see seasonal AND weather variants for ALL maps!!!!

Crimson Straight - Tropical Thunder Storms!!!!
Tourmaline Desert - Massive Dust Storms
HPG - Solar Storms (PRODUCE BLANKET ECM)
Canyon Network - Monsoon Flooding!!
Alpine Peak - Night Blizzards
Terra Therma - ERUPTIONS (Flooding)
Frozen City - Frozen Methane Rain
Caustic Valley - STEAM/FOG (like a temperature inversion layer)

Simple variations on known maps can make big gameplay and aesthetic differences for the player.

Im REALY looking forwards to a swamp map!!

However:
PLEASE DONT FILL THE MECH FACTORY MAP WITH LITTLE BITS EVERYWHERE TO CLIP AND SNAG ON LIKE HPG!! Pretty pretty please!!

Edited by ebea51, 15 July 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#318 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIn the Dire Wolf behind you, what I do from there depends if you’re hostile...

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Why the heck would anyone want to be forced to pick mech, consumable or weapon modules? I have never once used a consumable or weapon module, they don't appeal to me. What appeals to me is advanced zoom, radar deprivation, advanced sensors and advanced seismic sensors; this build being my raven's build, it allow my mech to function as a highly effective scout and sniper. The weapon modules are next to useless for most people and on lighter mechs the consumables are good, but I'd rather not be forking out about a third (Or more) of my winnings to replace an airstrike or artillery strike. This will force diversity onto the load out of modules, but will also needlessly force people out of using equipment setups that they enjoy. Also, master module slots being weapon slots? Oh come on! My assaults run hot enough without any weapon modules!

Edited by StealthSlicer, 15 July 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#319 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Have they posted that the module system change is in todays patch (on twitter, reddit, anywhere but their own forums)?

#320 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

You do not use them as much as most people, and I at least understood what you meant.

Some modules do have a significant impact on playstyle/success. Advanced Zoom is a good example of playstyle, since it makes playing a sniper immensely more efficient. Another is Seismic Sensors, as it adds a functionality that is otherwise not available and can make a huge difference in a team sneaking up with ECM or through tunnels, etc. Both of these modules give benefits that are more than just a slight semi-beneficial boost like weapon modules do. Even when weapon modules get to max rank, I doubt they will be as good as either of those modules IMO.

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 14 July 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

the same I can say for arty and air, as I have said before. No modules should impact the game in a major way, they should just be things to help alleviate a certain task.

Arty/Air, and possibly Cool Shot as well, are modules that are cash cows (or money sinks) for PGI and give the person that uses them (correctly) dramatically increased damage output. As you could see in the tournaments (both the most recent one and even the solo ones before that, where they were used to inflate match scores), they are used in a spammy manner that removes much of the skill involved in a proper fight. While they do require a modicum of skill to use correctly, the damage output of arty/air is hugely unbalanced compared to the amount of skill involved. It is similar to having an LB20X that does 400 damage once per match, without taking any weight or crit slots.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users