#421 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostDiscarius, on 09 August 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

make it so the heat generated per damage from clan is in line with IS, so we have:
1. IS, shorter beam duration to reach max damage, shorter range
2. Clan, longer beam duration to reach max damage, longer range

and...for the repair stations...yeah, if there're only people who cares about themselves, you'll get a long queue and fight each other to just get repaired...but then again, it will also forced people to at least communicate each other and/or read the situation. What if they also make it only 1 repair can be performed for each mech and place it far enough from battle point?

The problem isn't just with making the damage scale differently.

I's the fact that clan beam weapons force you to show your face, when you remove that factor, clan beams become very efficient for hit and run tactics, something that clan mechs are intended to be not good at.

#422 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostDiscarius, on 09 August 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

and...for the repair stations...yeah, if there're only people who cares about themselves, you'll get a long queue and fight each other to just get repaired...but then again, it will also forced people to at least communicate each other and/or read the situation. What if they also make it only 1 repair can be performed for each mech and place it far enough from battle point?
Or, how about this... make certain achievements for the unit itself. Once VoIP is in, a certain amount of radio traffic over the course of a hundred matches or more, or perhaps allow units to use money from their coffers to purchase repair bays -one per 'Mech, or a certain number of 'Mech repairs before the base is gone, like the MFBs in Mech Commander 2- for individual drops.

Here's another idea... Merc Units WILL, eventually, have the DropShips they want... allow for the purchase of canon repair/rearm, refuel, and coolant vehicles that are stored in each DropShip, and allow the DropShip itself to become a repair bay, but the only things that can be repaired would be whatever salvage or purchased items, such as tons of coolant, armor, UAVs, etc. are available for prior to the mission, and all repairs have to take a certain minimum amount of time.

I think the big idea is whether there will be protracted planetary engagements, or not, to make these things practical, time or money wise, in the first place. I'm all for some manner of in-game repair/reload, as long as they require money from the unit up-front, from the MechWarrior making the repairs in-game, restricted to salvage and/or purchases ahead of time, and minimum time requirements -some of which could run concurrently- for these repairs to be done. It can only be one 'Mech at a time, and has to run hand-in-hand with the DropShip/Stable mode, where each MechWarrior chooses three or four 'Mechs to go into the fight with, and when one dies, the MechWarrior returns to pick up the next and continue the fight. Commanders would, then, be forced to learn to command -GASP!- and their MechWarrior's would have to become more disciplined, so they're not running over one another to get to the repair base, without first being ordered to do so.

#423 Ren Kurogane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • Location10.4.2 401

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 August 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

clan beams become very efficient for hit and run tactics, something that clan mechs are intended to be not good at.

when you put it like that, yes. i didn't think of that because when i think lasers, it doesn't mean only IS side or clan side. This whole "hold the button to keep firing" is bad when it applies to clan. Plus their range advantage just makes it worse. What do you think if that only applies to IS (make them good at hit n run tactics)?

View PostKay Wolf, on 09 August 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

*something good that makes me drooling*

this, i think i read something similar somewhere else...and also made me drooling.

#424 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostDiscarius, on 09 August 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

when you put it like that, yes. i didn't think of that because when i think lasers, it doesn't mean only IS side or clan side. This whole "hold the button to keep firing" is bad when it applies to clan. Plus their range advantage just makes it worse. What do you think if that only applies to IS (make them good at hit n run tactics)?

this, i think i read something similar somewhere else...and also made me drooling.

IS is already good at hit and run tactics, What needs to happen to their lasers is that they need to be unnerfed (almost all of them are 1 heat too much.)

#425 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 August 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Still removes any downside to using clan lasers, in fact, it will make them even better since they generate better damage per heat.

The biggest balancing factor for them has been the long burn time. Remove that, and there's no downside to using them.

I actually like the idea, as long as it worked like this: you hold the trigger for as long as you want the beam to fire, with consistent dmg/heat for that duration (so 1 tick = 1 tick worth of heat), and as soon as you let off the trigger, you have the full cooldown duration.

That would make short beams do a fraction of the damage and heat, but you would lose dps because you would have the full duration to wait to refire it.

#426 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Just wondering whatever happened to the Atlas Head Pack, geometry utility???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users