26 replies to this topic

#1 ACH75

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

The Clan Large Pulse is like an inefficent VERY FAT Er Medium Laser:

1) Same Beam Duration of 1,30 (?!?!?!?!)

2) +33% Range (Fine...)

3) 1 weights as 6 Medium Lasers (That is the 1st worst penalty in comparison!)

4) Ghost Heat above 2+ (That is the 2nd worst penalty in comparison!)

Sounds to me very underpowered compared to Er Mediums and Er Medium Pulses...

Beam Reduction to 1,00 Sec + Ghost Heat above 3+ is my balance suggestion.

I'm also in favor of extending Ghost Heat above 3+ for every Clan and IS LARGE LASERS...

#2 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

^All of this. I really wanted to run LPLs on my Warbabies, but they're just so bad in comparison to the ERLL that I couldn't justify using them :P

#3 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

Subtract two WUBs from the Large Pulse Laser, and it would be a great weapon.

#4 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

I enjoy the large pulse. 1200 meter range, runs a tiny bit cooler than a clan er large, but what I really like is it fires faster. Sounds cool is a plus also.

#5 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

pulse lasers get no love from paul, no matter if IS or clan.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

The weight isn't really an issue for the larger mechs. If you start boating medium lasers on assault mechs, you just run out of hardpoints with nothing to spend the free tonnage on.

The main concern is that Clan ER LPLs don't do what they're supposed to do. Exactly like Inner Sphere LPLs. And since PGI clearly hates all pulse lasers, and has kept them underpowered for over a year, I have a feeling they will stay that way for a long time.

#7 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

I think it should have a shorter duration.. that is about it.

#8 ACH75

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 July 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

The main concern is that Clan ER LPLs don't do what they're supposed to do. Exactly like Inner Sphere LPLs. And since PGI clearly hates all pulse lasers, and has kept them underpowered for over a year, I have a feeling they will stay that way for a long time.

Clan MEDIUM PULSE Lasers were fine tuned so i hope for the near future...

#9 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

They need to give up a bunch of range for a much lower duration.

#10 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Funny as this is the most OP weapon in TT.

#11 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 14 July 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

They need to give up a bunch of range for a much lower duration.

Id be happy with this, but I want to see a beam duration reduction across the board for all IS & Clan Pulse Lasers.

#12 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Isn't it ironic, that the Large Pulse Laser is actually stronger than it should be?

It does 11.80 damage for 8 heat up to 600m. It's TT values are 10 damage for 10 heat up to 20 hexes. Clan Large Pulse Lasers have double the range of their IS counterpart. Therefore it somewhat resembles the Clan version of the non-ER PPC.

The ER Medium Laser will always be the weapon of choice and it's the only beam weapon that is actually canon! (7 damage, 5 heat, 15 hexes).

Large Pulse Lasers in MWO are a niche weapon when you have limited hardpoints but enough tonnage to fit something heavy, but don't want the excessive heat of the ER Large Laser or ER PPC. The problem is not the Large Pulse Laser, it's the ER Large Laser being significantly cooler than it should be (8.5 heat in MWO, 12 in TT). This is no Clan issue btw. as it also holds true for the IS.

The beam time is arguable. If you cut it down you have to do it for every Pulse Laser across Clan and IS.

#13 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

The only reason to take pulse lasers is for increased DPS. With IS pulse lasers, they do roughly 25% more dps then their non pulse versions.

Clan LPL only does 10% more DPS and clan MPL only does 15% more dps than their ER versions.

Obviously the extra tons and loss of range is viewed by many as not worth the extra 25% dps for IS, but it's obviously not worth it for the Clan versions.

#14 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 14 July 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

The only reason to take pulse lasers is for increased DPS. With IS pulse lasers, they do roughly 25% more dps then their non pulse versions.

Clan LPL only does 10% more DPS and clan MPL only does 15% more dps than their ER versions.

Obviously the extra tons and loss of range is viewed by many as not worth the extra 25% dps for IS, but it's obviously not worth it for the Clan versions.

I agree. The issue is that C-ERLLs are too good relative to C-LPLs in the same way that C-ERSLs were so much better than C-SPLs.

Inner Sphere SPLs are the only ones that are usually better than the regular version because they have the same range. So if you have the available tonnage, it can make sense to opt for the DPS advantage at the cost of heat and weight. In some instances, like the Partyback or FS9s, it even makes sense to use them in place of MLs.

In most situations, the range and heat disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

The added complication is that all lasers are still outclassed by the Clan Gauss/ERPPC and IS Gauss/AC5/UAC5/PPC/ERPPC combinations. So, balancing Er and regular lasers against pulse lasers will just make all of them useless without changes to the current meta loadouts.

#15 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Lower the beam duration to 1.0 second and it would be usable. Clan MPLs are usable currently; I use them on brawlers over cERMLs to some success. They're still slightly underpowered but getting to where they should be.

Remember that reduced beam duration also translates to higher DPS because weapons don't go on recycle until the beam duration is over.

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

It is still beyond my why pulse lasers aren't plain superior to normal lasers. You have to spend more tons for it, tons that would go into heatsinks with normal lasers.So there's no need to make them hotter, they already are (indirectly, but still).

On top of the heat issue, you have shorter range - a value you can tweak but it's one of the characteristics so be it.

So, hotter, shorter... how to make them better? simple: let them hit harder OR let them be way faster, be it duration or DPS or whatever. but make them BETTER than normal lasers.

The coolest sounding weapon in the game and all it does is an ineffective lightshow...

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Curse of the Nerfinator said:

Pulse Lasers must be inferior, forever!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

#18 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

I've always said they should be a constant beam, they fire as long as you hold the trigger. Adjust DPS/HPS so they aren't OP.
At least they would have a different mechanic.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 14 July 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

Funny as this is the most OP weapon in TT.

Most? In the running, but I doubt it would win that title. C-ERPPC, C-LRMs (in general), C-ERLL, and C-Gauss all compete with it. The C-LPL only outshines other contenders in TT when you're trying to nail a fast mover.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Inner Sphere Pulse Lasers are wub wub wub.

Clan Pulse Lasers are wuuuuuub wuuuuub wuuuuub wuuuub wuuuuub.

Edited by FupDup, 14 July 2014 - 11:06 AM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users