Zoom / Magnification

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Zoom Function (193 member(s) have cast votes)

How should zoom be handle

1. MW2 - the entire screen becomes zoomed (21 votes [10.88%])

Percentage of vote: 10.88%

2. MW3 - a small portion of the screen targetted becomes zoomed (97 votes [50.26%])

Percentage of vote: 50.26%

3. MW4 - 80% of your screen is zoomed (60 votes [31.09%])

Percentage of vote: 31.09%

4. Zoom should be eliminated. (4 votes [2.07%])

Percentage of vote: 2.07%

5. Other (11 votes [5.70%])

Percentage of vote: 5.70%

What should be the tonnage cost of zoom equipment.

1. No tonnage cost - it is part of the mech fire-control computer (108 votes [55.96%])

Percentage of vote: 55.96%

2. 1 - ton - cost of a simple target computer as per MW3 (34 votes [17.62%])

Percentage of vote: 17.62%

3. 1 ton per 4 tons of weapons it controls - TT rules for a TC (32 votes [16.58%])

Percentage of vote: 16.58%

4. Other (19 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

Does zoom fit BattleTech lore (and TT rules)?

1. Yes (149 votes [96.13%])

Percentage of vote: 96.13%

2. No (6 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

After many topics focused on the shooting accuracy of the MW4, a very important item seems to be left out.

The zoom function allowed long-range heavy hitting weapons to have high accuracy.
When this was combined in group-fire, this became a very potent combinations allowing 1-shot / 2-shot kills.

Allowing its use while jumpjeting and 3rd person contributed to the so-called "pop-tarting" phenomenon of being able to take out mechs at long-range without being vulnerable to return fire.

I always imagined that the zoom function much in the way of a targetting computer functioned in allowing increase accuracy. However along with coolant, it had no negative costs (in terms of space or tonnage) in MW3 and MW4. I equate the zoom function as part of a targetting computer.

As an aside and to make the MWO universe abit diverse.
If a zoom equipment was able to be purchased and modified, different variants (zoom levels) could be purchased; maybe the higher the magnification the more heavier / expensive the zoom equipment would be.

Edited by Yeach, 19 November 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#2 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I liked MW3s zooming the best so far, and I think it should be a free feature on every mech, but rather limited (25% zoom or so).

A better zoom could be one of the advantages of a targeting computer.

#3 Bear Shaman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

I voted the same way. A zoom function does not equate to a targeting computer, it's just... a zoom function. And since I prefer MW3 targeting over MW4 targeting, I'm going with that version of the zoom lens.

As a side note, it's a little off-putting that I can't google MW3 any longer and expect google to come up with Mechwarrior 3 references. Frakking Modern Warfare. I mentioned this to a friend, and he says he's had the same problem with Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Return of the King.

#4 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Okay, MW3s zoom was only actually about 15 - 20% of your screen, if that, and was wholly inadequate, while MW4s zoom was just entirely too large. I would go for something in-between, such as 35 - 40% of your screen. Or, perhaps even better, your zoom is based on your mouse wheel or one of the wheels on your favorite stick, where the further you zoom out the larger your aperture gets, to say 65% of your screen, max.

#5 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I think a stabilized zoom image, combined with the "shoot here" bullseye from MW3, would be a great way of implementing the advanced targeting computer.

Without a targeting computer you should be limited to 1.5x or 2x zoom with the image bouncing around as you walk, and targeting computer should improve it to, say, 4x with a stabilized image.

#6 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

I think a basic MW3 style zoom should be free with all mechs and disabled when jumping or running to avoid poptarting etc. Putting a TC should improve X factor and size of magnified area to improve things for sniping/fire support mechs while taking up crits and weight to try and reduce boating. Again no zooming while running/jumping. Maybe there could be a scout type to enhance visual spotting while not being linked to the targetting.

#7 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

Why would you pay in tonnage for some electronic magnefication? That should be a standard HUD feature while a TC means better accuracy at range.

#8 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

Zoom 50% screen to 2X without a Reticule. The Zoom should provide a view for added info, not better aiming. After all the nonsense in the CoF Boats and Pin Point shooting threads, why anyone would want a high end zoom shooting tool seems totally counter productive really.

If you think you see something out in the distance that is not quite hidden, hit Zoom. "Ahhh, Boss I have acquired a visual on a partially hidden target. I estimate 1200m out. By the look of the head configuration I am guessing it is a Rifleman. You want I should investigate?"

Edited by MaddMaxx, 19 November 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#9 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

Added a 3rd question.

#10 Moppelkotze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationRuhrgebiet, Deutschland

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

I likt it how it's made in MW:LL.
Every Mech can zoom and the whole screen zooms in so you lose a bit overview.
Some Mechs have echanced optics and can zoom a second time -> stronger focus, less overview

#11 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

I always liked how zoom worked in MW2. Mostly just allowed you to see things farther away, didn't really help you shoot at them better unless you where parked in one spot and your target was stationary or slow-moving due to the fact that the normal bob-and-weave of the targeting system as you were moving was even more pronounced when zoomed in.

#12 Hodo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Voted - OTHER

This is why..

Mechwarrior 1 had it best for the zoom function.

Full screen zoom, without target reticule. So you cant shoot while zoomed all the way in.

#13 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 19 November 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

Zoom 50% screen to 2X without a Reticule. The Zoom should provide a view for added info, not better aiming. After all the nonsense in the CoF Boats and Pin Point shooting threads, why anyone would want a high end zoom shooting tool seems totally counter productive really.

If you think you see something out in the distance that is not quite hidden, hit Zoom. "Ahhh, Boss I have acquired a visual on a partially hidden target. I estimate 1200m out. By the look of the head configuration I am guessing it is a Rifleman. You want I should investigate?"

I agree with this. Zoom is useful as a visual tool, and optical enhancement of many kinds makes sense with the established tech. What it should not do, is help you fire more accurately.

#14 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Bump;
Cause I'm bored and I think we need more discussion of this since scouts seem to have this perk.

Does increase points in the scout tree mean more zoom?

#15 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostYeach, on 19 February 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Bump;
Cause I'm bored and I think we need more discussion of this since scouts seem to have this perk.

Does increase points in the scout tree mean more zoom?

Nah, according to the latest information the developers have released, if you install the magnification module, you get up tp 700% zoom - you can probably control just how much zoom you get, but it won't cost you another module slot or a skill point, so it should remain a pretty useful feature even as you unlock other modules.
Anyway.

If they're going to implement the zoom as a targeting aid, it would be sufficient to do something like in MW4 or MW3.

#16 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

In MW3, that tiny window did it's job just fine - However, since one of the pilot upgrades relates to the zoom window, then why not have a basic small zoom maybe x2 or x3 for everyone and a bigger zoom and window for fancier pilots.

I don't think it should cost extra tonnage to have an upgraded optics suite. Fancy fire control computers are for experienced pilots.

As far as does this fit Core rules? Hells yeah. You could always just aim for better accuracy, and it took some time much like zooming does. It makes absolute (Gameplay vs Core Rules) sense to have zoom windows.

#17 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

I voted "other" because I think that MWLL is doing zoom just right at the moment.

I also voted "other" at tonnage cost. I think while all mechs should have a basic zoom on their mechs that doesn't take up tonnage, I would like to see scouts and mechs that would need better accuracy (like mechs with gauss rifles) to have better zooms as part of their respective modules, like scout modules or a targeting computer.

#18 Antonoff

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

From my point of view, we need two separate tools.

1) Zoom of portion of HUD for observation and reconnaissance. With scout mechs having better zoom (higher magnification, maybe something like extended IR vision, some kind of directional microphone for detecting targets in debris, forests or other complex terrain)

2) Long-range targeting mode for sniping. With ballistic computer, ability to aim at specific parts of the mech, blackjack and girls. I think it'd be cool to perform sniping aiming through separate display (not-HUD) in the cockpit. Kind of true and hardcore.

#19 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

HAVE TO HAVE IT!

FEK315...OUT!

#20 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder