Please Remove Ui Dialog Boxes

13 replies to this topic

#1 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

PGI seriously, just do it - UI 2.0 has been around for quite a while, we've all adapted to how clumsy it is, yet the dialog boxes we get for even the tiniest change are still annoying as hell. I think streamlining the UI should be one of your top priorities, especially since it shouldn't take nearly as much time and manpower as CW for example.

Anyway, back on the subject - why can't we just have the summary dialog box when we press the Save button - it perfectly sums up how much would your new setup cost you. Also, I'd think players should know whether they want public/private game and what game mode to play - just let us preset these and remove the silly launch confirmations as well.

Found this post earlier today, and it sums my thoughts on the subject perfectly (kudos OP!):
http://mwomercs.com/...h-the-clicking/

#2 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

I agree. The endless dialog boxes are worse than pointless, they are actually counterproductive.

See, if I get one dialog box popping up that I have to acknowledge, I might glance at it before clicking "Save". However, if I have 2-3 dialogs to get through, I am not bothering to read any of them. At that point, I am too frustrated to bother. So they aren't going to prevent me from buying something I don't want to buy, or selling something I don't want to sell. They actually make me more likely to make one of those mistakes out of annoyance and frustration.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 14 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#4 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Are you sure you want to disable the dialogue boxes?
Yes_____________________________________No

Honestly though. A "do not show again" option would go a long way to reducing the clicking.

Congratulations, you have successfully disabled the dialogue boxes
_________________________OK__________________________

Edited by Solahma, 14 July 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

They can do something different about the dialogue boxes after they eliminate the beeping on every......single......[redacted]......icon you cursor over. Seriously, whoever thought that was a nice feature should get a paper cut [redacted] every day for the rest of their life.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 14 July 2014 - 03:11 PM.
Language

#6 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Oh, but they added that new mech selection screen!

Which I avoid at all costs because it is more cumbersome and less organized than the mech bay selection screen. No filters at all? Really?

#7 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

It's not the dialog-ness of the boxes but the modal-ness of the boxes which annoys people.

#8 Jimmy Page

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOh1O

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Please remove UI 2.0. There, i fixed it for you.

#9 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostFelio, on 14 July 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Oh, but they added that new mech selection screen!

Which I avoid at all costs because it is more cumbersome and less organized than the mech bay selection screen. No filters at all? Really?

That too - another of my biggest gripes with UI 2.0 - instead of adding simple sort functionality, they added yet another complicated screen. Meanwhile, I still dread going to ammo selection when I swap a weapon...

Here's a quick recap of the first Google result when searching for "best game ui":

Let's recast the six fundamental questions of UI design as six general guidelines:

1. Predict what the user wants to know, and give them that information.
2. Information must be easy to find.
3. Your UI should be easy to use and navigate. Use established patterns where you can: Everyone knows that Ctrl-Click adds items to the selection, so don't make it swap items instead.
4. Make the user's location in the menu system obvious, and make it obvious where the user can go and what they can do from there.
5. Minimise load times and avoid animations in your menus.
6. Eliminate or simplify repetitive tasks.

Shall we count how many of these PGI did right in UI 2.0 :)

#10 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

The amount of clicking in UI 2.0 is bizarre; it could be used in teaching GUI design as the perfect example of what NOT to do. At almost every turn the UI fights the user and makes simple things hard.

It really, really needs a re-write with streamlining of its workflows as main focus.

Although it also needs a rewrite with data visibility as a focus, because it's equally bizarre how you can present so much worthless data (64 identical engine icons with only the teeny-tiny text differentiating between them? Idiotic) while simultaneously managing to NOT present the interesting and vital data in any coherent fashion (or at all, in e.g. the case of "what engine does this 'mech have").

Not to mention that the data that is there is spread all over the screen.

Not to mention that the click-flow goes from side to side and up and down like it was un-designed by a mad person.

Not to mention the myriad of other failures that together constitute UI 2.0, most of which has been pointed out repeatedly to PGI.

The 'mechs look beautiful in there, I'll give them that. The rest of it though could be scrapped; it's nigh on useless.

Edited by stjobe, 14 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

The dialog boxes that drive me the most insane are the ones for mech/pilot skills...in particular, the confirmation box that says that you have unlocked a skill needs to go. As it is, it's absolutely maddening trying to quickly elite a mech if you have the XP/GXP to unlock everything because of all the redundancy..

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Get rid of all the current dialog boxes.

And give us this one.

Posted Image

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 July 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Get rid of all the current dialog boxes.

And give us this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostEqualizer, on 14 July 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

PGI seriously, just do it - UI 2.0 has been around for quite a while, we've all adapted to how clumsy it is, yet the dialog boxes we get for even the tiniest change are still annoying as hell. I think streamlining the UI should be one of your top priorities, especially since it shouldn't take nearly as much time and manpower as CW for example.

Anyway, back on the subject - why can't we just have the summary dialog box when we press the Save button - it perfectly sums up how much would your new setup cost you. Also, I'd think players should know whether they want public/private game and what game mode to play - just let us preset these and remove the silly launch confirmations as well.

Found this post earlier today, and it sums my thoughts on the subject perfectly (kudos OP!):
http://mwomercs.com/...h-the-clicking/

How can you be against the telephone maze simulator? It's part of the immersive experience!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users