What Would Be The Ramifications Of Hiding The Kdr Stat From Players?

77 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

I personally think it would be good for the game. We'd have less players "falling back" after taking a single AC5 hit, or refusing to get in the square to stop a base cap. I'd be willing to bet that if a lot of players stopped caring about their KDR their W/L would go up, and IMO in a team game that's the stat that's important.

#2 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Why cant I see all of my stats?

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

the QQ would be strong.

I honestly don't care either way. Since it is there, I use it to measure myself, and my builds, but TBH, if you can't tell your essential effectiveness, without checking your KDr, you probably aren't very good anyhow.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Why are people so obsessed with hiding stats.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

I like to use it to track improvements/declines in different chassis. The kills don't always mean anything, but other stats like dmd/kill and dmg/death are meaningful to me.

#6 xCico

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Dude, if there isnt KD, i would never improve my gameplay, that thing is important to me, to track my improvement...

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I want to see detailed version of my Artillery Strike stats. ;)

Edited by El Bandito, 26 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#8 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 26 July 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

I personally think it would be good for the game. We'd have less players "falling back" after taking a single AC5 hit, or refusing to get in the square to stop a base cap. I'd be willing to bet that if a lot of players stopped caring about their KDR their W/L would go up, and IMO in a team game that's the stat that's important.

Fighter pilots and snipers keep track of their kills. Why not mechwarriors?

#9 Kadreal

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostDavers, on 26 July 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Fighter pilots and snipers keep track of their kills. Why not mechwarriors?

Fighter pilots and snipers do not keep track of their deaths however.

Edited by Kadreal, 26 July 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostKadreal, on 26 July 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

Fighter pilots and snipers do not keep track of their deaths however.

I wonder why? ;)

#11 Fenris Ro

• Pip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

It gives players something to base their game play improvement, set goals, and admittedly a little bit of pride when they have a pretty decent K/D ratio...

I will say that I have rarely seen people trying to purposely protect their K/D in games... I do see some players get frustrated when their team's face gets used to mop the floor and then tell them to hurry up and die... What fun is that for the player? Just a bit of input...

#12 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

"Protecting your KDR" in a light or medium when your team is dead should be read as ... stringing the enemy out so I can kill the faster ones first. Assaults and Heavies cant play that game as well. Getting the enemy by themselves should always be the goal of a light or medium.

The mark of a good light or medium pilot is how well they wolf pack. Separate one from the herd and then mob em.

#13 Be Rough With Me Plz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

The whole "It's how I track my improvement" blah blah is just fluff. If you were playing a 1v1 game then KDR would be a pretty accurate gauge for skill assuming there is an accurate ranking system/brackets. In a group game, kills don't really mean anything other than who got the last shot on a Mech, but that's blasphemy for the KDR crowd. Take that away and they have nothing to stroke.

They're the ultimate selfish gamer and generally ruin the group experience because they're sitting somewhere safe taking potshots at people without really adding anything to a line fight. The moment those players face any sort of danger they tuck tail and run leaving their teammates in a numerical (read: firepower) disadvantage. If such a player were on a coordinated team then it wouldn't really be much of an issue, but in PUG matches it generally hurts more than helps.

The Weapon Stats page is a more accurate and significant measure of whether or not improvement is occurring.

That being said, you can't change someone's mentality when all they care about is their KDR. A KDR player is going to play like a KDR player whether or not they can see their numbers. I liken the KDR mentality with the people who pilot an Atlas and equip LL's and LRM's.

Edited by Be Rough With Me Plz, 26 July 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#14 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

They don't give us an ELO stat, so that is hidden. Anyway my vote is personally I don't care, but some play the game to see how well they do against others. So for them it is important. Protecting your KDR by hiding seems dumb, since you are now artificially padding the stat. A high stat cause you hid, seems disingenuous.

#15 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

It's not K/D causing people that pull back from a fight. It's the "Blam! Well. There goes my left torso. Again". I don't actually care one whit about my K/D. If I died without a single kill, but my team wins, That's all I need. But I will disengage from an engagement when I know I am outmatched by the PP FLD Meta-Humpers over the next hill.

TBH, what is killing this game for me is the fact that I cannot step out from cover for more than a second before some muppet with a PP FLD "I win" Button on his mouse ruins any chance of me doing something useful in the game. Everyone ******* about LRMs these days, but you can see them coming, you can do the Dance to ignore most of the damage, and get to the next piece of solid cover. A PP FLD doesn't need that. He just waits for you to pop out, blows off a limb, and laughs.

#16 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Most players are cowards, and it has nothing to due with stats.
We didn't have stats tracked in mw4, and most people played the same way.

Just take advantage of it and roll them.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostRoland, on 26 July 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Most players are cowards, and it has nothing to due with stats.
We didn't have stats tracked in mw4, and most people played the same way.

Just take advantage of it and roll them.

That's because most players don't have any discipline under fire.

Take away KDR because you feel it's meaningless fine, by all means, but show peoples Elo ranking or assign groups, Bronze, silver whatever you want.

#18 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

i take care of my KDR - that being said i only ever play assault so if i lose my weapons and hide they can cap the base for the win which is fair. i would NEVER do that in skirmish - it's just not nice

but to me my most important stat is losses vs deaths - if we win then i expect to still be alive (impossible, but i try), and if we lose then it's ok that i died

my Jag-A in 232 games has 110 losses, and 127 deaths for 86.6% LvD (Losses divided by Deaths)

my Battlemaster-1S in 158 games has 75 losses, and 92 deaths for 81.5% LvD

it's a dumb stat only i care about, but after 4000 games i like to have more 'games within the game' lol

#19 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

they will never do it because EPeens would shrivel and then some of the playerbase would have no way to brag about how great they are.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

I have died over 1000 times I my first month that has to be a record :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users