Is It Any Surprise That Light Mechs Are Routinely <10% Of The Queue Right Now?

372 replies to this topic

#41 Infine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 19 July 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

Rearm and Repair would go a LONNNNNNG way towards adding value back into Light Mechs. Too many players take Heavy and Assault mechs for how easy they are to pilot.

Well, lights almost exclusively carry big XLs. Usually bigger than some heavies (my jenner has XL295. My cat - XL260 or 270).
Also lights generally have much more crit space than they can chew, so FF is an actual viable option (again, my Jenner has FF. I believe it's the only mech I frequently use that has FF). So debatable. My guess is, some brawling Thunderbolt would have much less repair costs.

View PostTetryon88, on 19 July 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Just means faster queues for those who like filling the light roles.

Also not really true. My Jenner is the only mech I often get "Failed to find match" in.

View PostJacobei, on 19 July 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Lights are bad.. I am a master light pilot.. - So I would like to get a buff/bonus BUT to be honest I think Medium Mechs have it the worse... Totally useless I can't find one that is useable in a roll that is not just a crippled Heavy or Light variant.

Metahawk is quite noice. You can run 2PPC+AC5+JJ at 97kph with speed tweak. The downside is scaling - it's taller than most heavies. The upside is godlike hitboxes. My pesonal record is surviving at 22%. With an XL.

#42 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 19 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Because you stopped to use seismic? That would tend to diminish your survivability, I'd think...
Okay how ******* dumb are people that they can't figure out that "never stop moving in a light" is not a literal statement

Stop and seismic before you peek around the corner, it's the point blank stuff that you won't be able to juke out of the crosshairs of

#43 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

The increase in missile speed, Passive team play, And -30 drop damage has impacted the light mechs to such a degree that it has become very challenging to play one. Also the speed ratio is restricted right now. The difference between going 150kph or 94mph and 109kph or 67mph. Is not represented properly in the game its a 27mph difference. Yet were still being run down in game or seeing magic bullet hits.

Every 2 week PGI thinks up new ways to make Light mechs obsolete on the battlefield so more and more people chose LRM boats or heavy ppc gauss mechs.

Some of it is Clan nostalgia, and Mad Cat fervor. The reality is PGI has done everything it can to drive people away from a light mech.

Every small bump gives you -30. Every -30 damages your leg. Everyone shoots at your legs.

Now the people who still play them are still experts. Elite mech pilots who don't give a dam about size and can take down a atlas with 4 small pulse and 2 streaks.

#44 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Yeah. Got a bit of a taste of closer range LRMs today. Didn't outright wreck me. But it certainly makes going after LRM boats more risky. Especially if they're surrounded by allies.

#45 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Just posted a 4/4/640 game in my NARC Jenner

OMG LIGHTS ARE DEAD

L2P etc.

But seriously, I am NOT a particularly good pilot, if you are struggling with lights you are probably making extremely correctable mistakes

#46 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostBiglead, on 19 July 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Nobody could hit them because of HitReg issues, not because of an abundance of light mech pilot skill. :(

Yeah, those guys back in the days had abused the hit-reg well. Now that the crutch is gone, the FotM chasers have abandoned the Light mechs entirely.

View PostLefty Lucy, on 19 July 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

No-min-range Clan LRMs mean lights aren't safe from guided weaponry up close.

1. SSRMs were always there. Clan LRMs are not contributing much to the issue.

2. Light drop rate was low even before CLRM change.

#47 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostRampancyTW, on 19 July 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

OMG LIGHTS ARE DEAD

L2P etc.

But seriously, I am NOT a particularly good pilot, if you are struggling with lights you are probably making extremely correctable mistakes

Situational on your team and your enemy's as well
d

#48 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I have been thinking about something... Does the % of mechs being used also count from people doing privet matches? And isant it the case that privet matches do not adhere to the 4x3 rule? If so then its safe to assume that the reason why we continue to see low % of both Lights and Mediums is because of people in privet matches mostly running Heavies and Assault by such a large margin.

#49 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

light specifically: go easy on the leg damage, its currently a bit ridiculous

general: give a cbill bonus that correlates to how short a particular weight class is of being 25% of the drop, so:

Lights 6%, Mediums 18%, Heavies 40%, Assaults 36%

=

Lights - 19% cbill reward bonus from dropping at that point in time
Mediums - 7% cbill bonus "
Heavies - No bonus (no subtraction from normal reward either)
Assaults - No bonus (no subtraction from normal reward either)

Pretty straightforward really.

Edited by NextGame, 19 July 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#50 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostRampancyTW, on 19 July 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

OMG LIGHTS ARE DEAD

L2P etc.

Yeah yeah, I also got 7 kills in the trial Blackjack, does it mean trial medium are the masters of the battlefield?
Good results in inferior mechs are purely circumstantial, the only reason to mention them is to do a little e-peen stroking.

Edited by HeavyRain, 19 July 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#51 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostNextGame, on 19 July 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

light specifically: go easy on the leg damage, its currently a bit ridiculous

general: give a cbill bonus that correlates to how short a particular weight class is of being 25% of the drop, so:

Lights 6%, Mediums 18%, Heavies 40%, Assaults 36%

=

Lights - 19% cbill reward bonus from dropping at that point in time
Mediums - 7% cbill bonus "
Heavies - No bonus (no subtraction from normal reward either)
Assaults - No bonus (no subtraction from normal reward either)

Pretty straightforward really.

Jack that up, crank the C-bill/XP rewards 15% for under 33% of the queue and 30% for under 20%.

That'll get asses in lighter gear.

#52 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 19 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Because you stopped to use seismic? That would tend to diminish your survivability, I'd think...

Situational awareness increases the use of Seismic. This includes spotting a cave rush on Forest Colony, or seeing if the tunnel on Crimson is clear. There's also plenty of times where the fight is localized (like Mordor, or D4 @ Canyon, or even Caustic) where you know where the enemy will be, and Seismic is a great helping module for the UAV for deployment... maximizing the ROI, while raining hell on the opfor (either missile or direct fire).

There is a reason the Seismic Wallhack is still popular... when used intelligently.

#53 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

lights=2% hahahaha they aren't viable anymore

#54 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostHeavyRain, on 19 July 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

[size=4]

Yeah yeah, I also got 7 kills in the trial Blackjack, does it mean trial medium are the masters of the battlefield?
Good results in inferior mechs are purely circumstantial, the only reason to mention them is to do a little e-peen stroking.

"Purely circumstantial"

LOL

Must be some darn good circumstances going on with my Jenner-F

#55 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Lights will always struggle to find a place in a combat theater comprised solely of gladiator style, "battle-in-a bottle", arena, "play date" matches.

Scouts, recon, harassers, lightening strikers, guerrilla fighters will always have a hard time when forced to play essential chained to their opponents in an arena...ok, may be it's a long bungee, but still we are inherently fish out of water in our engagements unless we are allowed to use our natural advantages of speed, small detection signatures and the hardest to mimic in an arena bowl...time. Not having predictable theater entry time, being able to choose at what time we will engage, quiet time to lull the opposition into complacency.

The least we can hope for is larger maps. Even better would be variable objectives, variable objective locales and variable spawn points without knowing where the enemy is spawning. And lastly, the best we can hope for is a sandbox or at least a more open theater of war, where lights are the vanguard forces who use their speed and low logistical cost to seek out enemy positions, seek out attack objectives where the enemy is weak or non-present, or to harass other units in advance of friendly main forces being vectored in to fight.

This is how lights would truly find and fulfill their role, where recon units clash intentionally outside a strategic high value objective or by stumbling on to each other in the bush in an area open for occupation. Where stealthy lights can gain positions to be the eyes and ears of a main battle force quietly closing on a group of Opposition Forces twiddling their thumbs while capping a facility, or staging in preparation of an assault themselves.

Lights would be the periphery units cleaning up weakened mechs attempting to disengage or retreat from the battle...or running interdiction for reinforcing enemy units inbound to the battle. An to rush in to swarm our out numbered and injured foes as the battle group collaspse in on their besieged position.

But as it is now, we are the poor farmer or merchant thrown into the gladiator arena for comic relief and fodder...yeah, we can pick up a sharp stick and get lucky, but really, we are there to yell, "look out!" to the gladiator we are chained to, to be bait for lion he is fighting, or worse, the arena nature of the maps means we are essentially chained to the lion to act as a chew toy and distraction for the ultimate benefit of the gladiators.

#56 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 July 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Situational awareness increases the use of Seismic. This includes spotting a cave rush on Forest Colony, or seeing if the tunnel on Crimson is clear. There's also plenty of times where the fight is localized (like Mordor, or D4 @ Canyon, or even Caustic) where you know where the enemy will be, and Seismic is a great helping module for the UAV for deployment... maximizing the ROI, while raining hell on the opfor (either missile or direct fire).

There is a reason the Seismic Wallhack is still popular... when used intelligently.
Also good for spotting (relatively) isolated enemies to pump an alpha into and fade without facing return fire from his teammates

Good flank warning as well if both sides are not fully in cover

#57 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

View PostRampancyTW, on 19 July 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

"Purely circumstantial"

LOL

Must be some darn good circumstances going on with my Jenner-F

Well do it again. Then do it again, and again, and again. I bet you can't put those numbers up three matches in a row. Hell, I bet you can't put those numbers up twice in a row.

I used to have a lot of fun playing my Ember and JR7-F. Not so much now. A lot of things have changed that have made playing lights much less fun for me.

#58 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 19 July 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Well do it again. Then do it again, and again, and again. I bet you can't put those numbers up three matches in a row. Hell, I bet you can't put those numbers up twice in a row.

Inconsistency is the bane of Light mech pilots. It happens often, but good things happen when you keep at it well...

I used to have a lot of fun playing my Ember and JR7-F. Not so much now. A lot of things have changed that have made playing lights much less fun for me.

Outside of the crappy falling code, I'm starting to see a lot more bad light pilots on the field.

You have to be kind crazy and dedicated to make the most of it.

While piloting a Light, it is far better to be smarter than to work harder. Occasionally when you have to work harder... it can be unsustainable due to enemy competency, so picking and choosing those battles become rather critical.

Too bad, being well rewarded is out of the question apparently.

#59 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 19 July 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Is this a joke

In the NARC Jenner that might be a bit of a task if I get thrown on a team with 0 LRMs but that's child's play in a JR7-F

#60 Tetryon88

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 July 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

Doing 400 damage in Lights doesn't happen often, but the longer you leave a competent Light pilot unchallenged, 400 damage is a really good day (plus, chances are the opfor messed up).

It's actually fun to have better #s than the one/two-digit damage Daishis that waddle on the field.

400 damage is actually pretty normal for me when I run my Kitfoxes, with 500+ being a really good match. Maybe I just play them differently than a lot of other people. I won't get 4+ kills, but that kind of damage isn't too hard to achieve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users