New Idea, Want To See Front Of Mech And See Damage

14 replies to this topic

#1 JusticarAB

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

I dont know about others, i i love seeing damage on mechs, it makes the game so much more dangerous, but i really wish you could see your mech's front side. how about when in third person you can rotate it to see the front side, the drone will circle around the mech... is this a good idea or no?

#2 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Not half as bad as you think, because it'd at least give me a bloody rear view mirror! :)

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostLynx7725, on 21 July 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Not half as bad as you think, because it'd at least give me a bloody rear view mirror! :)

which is exactly why it shouldn't be allowed in public matches. Now the option in private matches would be cool, especially for those making tutorials, videos, etc.

#4 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 21 July 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

which is exactly why it shouldn't be allowed in public matches. Now the option in private matches would be cool, especially for those making tutorials, videos, etc.

Y'know, speaking of which, I would really like PGI to implement a "combat videographer" kind of thing for general use. Put in nice controls for someone to get a good series of video out. The Cool Factor is why a lot of us play this game, getting good combat vids out there will draw attention.

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Regardless of what PGI think balance is, we do need some form of rear mirror. Seriously, I wish PGI would stop treating the game purely like a competitive multiplayer shooter and more like a 'Mech simulator like it should be. They said 'CryEngine doesn't like extra cameras'- that's a terrible reason. Just make the back of the cockpit mesh transparent and rotate the cockpit camera based on a button press.

That said, I don't think we should be able to rotate 3rd person view. That leaves it far too open for abuse, and frankly, I think the damage textures in the game are hardly eye candy to look at.

#6 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 21 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Regardless of what PGI think balance is, we do need some form of rear mirror. Seriously, I wish PGI would stop treating the game purely like a competitive multiplayer shooter and more like a 'Mech simulator like it should be. They said 'CryEngine doesn't like extra cameras'- that's a terrible reason. Just make the back of the cockpit mesh transparent and rotate the cockpit camera based on a button press.

That said, I don't think we should be able to rotate 3rd person view. That leaves it far too open for abuse, and frankly, I think the damage textures in the game are hardly eye candy to look at.

There are more issues than just implementing a "rear view" this was discussed a looooooooooong time ago when advanced zoom was introduced. It has to do with system performance and server load. Having to render that scene twice apparently causes all kinds of problems.

#7 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'd love to see the status of my Mech in the end of battle screen. The way I play, there'd be limbs missing, smoke... perhaps a see-through hole in the center torso.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 21 July 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

I'd love to see the status of my Mech in the end of battle screen. The way I play, there'd be limbs missing, smoke... perhaps a see-through hole in the center torso.

Which way'd he go?
Which way'd who go?
Lol

Yeah a post match look at my one legged no armed mech after the game would be pretty awesome.

#9 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostSandpit, on 21 July 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeah a post match look at my one legged no armed mech after the game would be pretty awesome.

Yeah I think that'd be cool too, while waiting for the EoM screens to come up.

#10 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostJusitcar, on 21 July 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

I dont know about others, i i love seeing damage on mechs, it makes the game so much more dangerous, but i really wish you could see your mech's front side. how about when in third person you can rotate it to see the front side, the drone will circle around the mech... is this a good idea or no?

Someone post one of those old videos so this guy can see what the game used to look like.

#11 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostSephlock, on 21 July 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Someone post one of those old videos so this guy can see what the game used to look like.

I second this motion

#12 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 21 July 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Great idea - and they already have the mechanic in game from the death screen view so it would probably be easy to implement.

#13 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I would be OK with the 3rd person camera that can rotate around the mech if you are stationary.

It isn't like the 3rd person camera is all that useful in combat.

#14 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostJusitcar, on 21 July 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Lets not.

#15 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I vote for the EoM view of the mech. It would be sweet to see how badly your mech has been damaged, and would be great screenshot material.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users