Well Then...

33 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

I was pretty disappointed in the Timberwolf at first. She's sluggish, not armed in the way I had hoped, and she seems to be covered with places that are easy to hit and do a lot of damage. I actually liked hunting the things as opposed to playing with the one I paid real money for...but, after settling on a quad of ERLL's and a pair of MG's, moving some armor around, and applying a few tweaks I've turned her into a bit of a nightmare.

Posted Image

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sluggish? o_O

As for not armed in the way you'd hoped, that one's entirely on you, pal :) There isn't a single 'Mech in this game as versatile and flexible in its armament choices as the Timber Wolf is, once its omnipods are taken into account.

#3 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

I would hardly call the TW sluggish- it can run down most medium mechs! As for it's armaments, it's standard load outs have been available to look at for what, 20 years? :)

#4 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I honestly almost want to buy a fourth Timber Wolf when they hit just to have an extra armament sitting around on it. There's so many things it does so well...I've got a neo-VTR (LBX/20 3x SRM-6, 2xC-ERML, jets of jumping) to relive the glory days of the Angry Ape, a MaDakka (2x C-UAC/5, 4x C-ERML, 2x C-ERSL, moar jets of jumping) for pretending I'm a high-speed Clan Ilya Moneymets, and a dual C-ERPPC/C-UAC/5 Targeting Computer-equipped Marauder wannabe, but I still want a polished up Timber Wolf Classic with the biglasers and the meesailes...

So much joy, so few chassis...

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

WUT.

I try and stay away from the 'meta'. The Timber Wolf was my first taste of it, and the only Clan 'Mech I bought. It quickly became my best 'Mech, which is sad, because while it's not 'OP', those that are saying it's 'so good' have a point. It's easily my highest scoring 'Mech, both my brawler and lurm build.

This thing is easily one of the best, if not the best, heavies.

#6 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was pretty disappointed in the Timberwolf at first. She's sluggish, not armed in the way I had hoped, and she seems to be covered with places that are easy to hit and do a lot of damage. I actually liked hunting the things as opposed to playing with the one I paid real money for...but, after settling on a quad of ERLL's and a pair of MG's, moving some armor around, and applying a few tweaks I've turned her into a bit of a nightmare.

Posted Image

I was pulling those numbers when the clans first came out. People know better and target me now :)

#7 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

One of my favourite things about the Timberwolf is the number of pilots who heard it was OP and thought that meant it was an invulnerable killing machine. I'd say easily half of the solo-heroes (aka free-kills) that come charging forth at the start of a match are in TWs these days.

#8 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

It's the best mech in the game.
If you can't use it, it's on you dude, not the mech.

#9 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostHeeden, on 25 July 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

One of my favourite things about the Timberwolf is the number of pilots who heard it was OP and thought that meant it was an invulnerable killing machine. I'd say easily half of the solo-heroes (aka free-kills) that come charging forth at the start of a match are in TWs these days.

Yeah lol, i've had some good value entertainment in game recently.. Namely players crying in general chat about how much clan mechs suck and how they felt they wasted their money, after they go charging in solo expecting to roll over the opposing team because they bought what they thought was an OP clan mech, and get ripped apart in 10 seconds.

It's priceless :)

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 25 July 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

I was pulling those numbers when the clans first came out. People know better and target me now :)

The perils of Forum Infamy!

#11 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hell haven't you guys seen Battletech? The clans landed what...TWO Mad Dogs and just ate everyone alive. That's what it's suppose to be like, right?

#12 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

The perils of Forum Infamy!

One of these days I'll sober up and fight back! :)

#13 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

I would hardly call the TW sluggish- it can run down most medium mechs! As for it's armaments, it's standard load outs have been available to look at for what, 20 years? :)

It is fast, yes this is true, however it doesn't climb very well and loses ALOT of speed even on small bumps.

#14 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

^that's the biggest thing for me. The slightest resistance and she slows down like a Stalker with a 170. Can't climb hardly anything. Lots of firepower and nice armor but big hitboxes and no terrain texture allowed.

#15 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

All new mechs feel sluggish compared to your other elited mechs.

But Quad ERLLs is legit. I use quad ERLLs and 2 machine guns on my Summoner.

#16 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I can get that and I'm working on correcting that issue...but I just don't remember there being that large a difference between my K2 standard and elite...but it has been a while.

#17 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 July 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

It's the best mech in the game.
If you can't use it, it's on you dude, not the mech.

TBR-PRIME is the only battlemech I pilot at this moment.

My wins increased 15%, my K/DR shot up 20%.

#18 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 25 July 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

I can get that and I'm working on correcting that issue...but I just don't remember there being that large a difference between my K2 standard and elite...but it has been a while.

10% speed, 20% heat capacity and 15% cooling make a BIG difference.

#19 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

I have the extra heat covered on all of them. I'm only down speed tweak. Maneuverability still sucks on anything but flat terrain...and even anchor turn didn't seem to add a whole lot on the flat ground.

#20 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Now that I got my three rigs settled out I'm doing at least one kill per match and 400+ dmg on average. Sometimes less, but sometimes I pull this **** off:

Posted Image

I've only got 6 kills one time previous in my K2 back before they knocked off the punch of the AC2's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users