Alternate Jr7-F Builds

31 replies to this topic

#1 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

So we all know the usual build......6 med lasers and an XL 300 engine with a couple jj........maybe scrap a med laser and put a TAG in or something if heat is a problem (which it is). I get it that is still gonna be the dominant 12 man build but......I'm bored of that and frankly never run my Jenner F because its just boring. The Jenner D is more fun usually.

But seeing as how Im getting bored of the game in general I wanted to share some alternate Jenner-F builds and see what people think.

First up: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a6f29b3d349fc7
The Logic behind this build is that you can play the meta game a bit with the PPC and it gives you something to do until a juicy slower target gets closer for you to get behind. The small lasers precisely cover the close ranges your PPC cannot. 5 small lasers peel away back armor quite quickly. This build is also a little more heat efficient than your typical 6 med laser build. The XL-280 is adequate speed because frankly if you get hunted down by a light pack, your in trouble regardless of how fast you are. You should still be able to get away from a streak-boat no problem, I use an xl-280 for my Jenner-d all the time and its just fine.

The other one I came up with: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0ab5a7d4d07daa

The logic behind this one is that well.......I just like large pulse lasers, and this build jumps a bit better and is cooler than a standard 6 med laser build. You get slightly more range and more pinpoint ability than the standard Jenner-F as well. I found this to be a plenty competent build for pugging around or 4 mans.

Let me know what ya think.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 02 June 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

Both look fine to me, I might try them out! :D

#3 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:41 AM

This is pretty much why I eventually sold my beloved Foxtrot. Jenners are my favorite chassis by far, but I just didn't have as much fun without the missile HPs.

I tried something like that PPC/SL build, but I didn't have a XL280 at the time.
It ended up being way too hot to be useful with a 300, but it was pretty fun.

My favorite experiment looked something like this. The shorter burn time helps to mimic the striker playstyle of a missile Jenner, but is easier to aim vs other lights than SRMs. While it certainly runs hot, it was much easier to manage than I expected.

If you REALLY want a light mech that spices the game up, I recommend the RVN-4X. You can do all sorts of stupid things with that mech.

#4 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

Hmmm I like that build Wraith, very nice. Im gonna try it with the XL 280 so I can get an extra DHS in there. Seems like fun.

EDIT: HAHAHA SnagaDance your sig is pretty great.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 02 June 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#5 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

2xLL+2xML, ERPPC+3xML (or 3xSPL), 6xSPL, 4xMPL. All inferior to the standard build, of course. Some require an XL280 to really work (saving tonnage for heatsinks).

#6 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Just guys...if it has 4 or less energy weapons please stop suggesting it for a fun Jenner f build... At least get the 2 extra module slots from using the k...

The only reason you want to ever use the F is for 5-6 laser loadouts.

#7 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

If you can get bored playing with this 5ML then perhaps the Jenner is not for you?

Significantly cooler than all the builds posted already.

Currently messing around with the above build. Will probably get switched back to the usual 5ML build since the extra JJ and armour is more helpful than marginally better heat efficiency.

Edited by Lunatech, 02 June 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#8 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostWispsy, on 02 June 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Just guys...if it has 4 or less energy weapons please stop suggesting it for a fun Jenner f build... At least get the 2 extra module slots from using the k...

The only reason you want to ever use the F is for 5-6 laser loadouts.

I was going to make this exact point, but it was already made.

#9 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

I really never use the 6x Med Laser on the Jenner-F, i think it's too hot, and it's not the most fun (but it's efficient on collest maps)!

I use this too version :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b744c4c2abdbdf8
Juste replace the three med laser with three Small Pulse laser, it's really more heat efficient, and the fast reload time of the small pulse lasers are very cool when you fight other lights or just hit big targets. You can shoot for ever with this three small lasers on hotest maps. In fact this one is an amelioration of the JN7-F(c)...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...98235de45c4ab08
Large pulse + 5 x Small Laser + XL280
This one is very efficient, you can shoot far away with the large pulse, and the short duration helps a lot when you run like a crazy. The 5 x Small laser are very good heat efficient and allow you to cut lights in pieces when you are close. The only default is the speed, but you can't play that one with XL300, it's too hot.

The thing that i don't like with medium laser on the Jenner, is that they have a long duration, and a long reload time. With the "fixed" arms of the Jenner it's a real problem when you face other lights like the Firestarter. With small lasers (pulse or normal version) you can shoot really often and with a small duration, so it's give you the possibility to be more efficient on close range versus quick targets.

View PostWraith 1, on 02 June 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

My favorite experiment looked something like this. The shorter burn time helps to mimic the striker playstyle of a missile Jenner, but is easier to aim vs other lights than SRMs. While it certainly runs hot, it was much easier to manage than I expected.

I don't use medium pulse laser on that chassis because it's way too hot! But i think i'm going to try the interesting build of Wraith1 after the patch (decrease the heat of Medium Pulse Lasers!)

For me the best lights ever with medium lasers, is the Death Knell. This one is so agile, you can shoot any target with medium laser and keep the beams on their back while moving like Road Runner!! (BEEP BEEP!)

See you on battlefield, Jenner fans!

Edited by Aleski, 03 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#10 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Yea Aleski thanks for your input. I'm also gonna try Wraith's build here soon. I've kept up with my PPC/ 5 small laser build for a while here, but I'm considering trying your Large Pulse/ 5 small laser build instead.

After thinking it over......yea that one build I posted in the OP with the large pulse and three mediums does work better on the Jenner-K, Wispsy is right I guess theres no point to the Jenner F unless your gonna do 5 or 6 energy weapons of some sort. But yea all of these suggestions so far have been great. Thanks for humoring me.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 03 June 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#11 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 03 June 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yea Aleski thanks for your input. I'm also gonna try Wraith's build here soon. I've kept up with my PPC/ 5 small laser build for a while here, but I'm considering trying your Large Pulse/ 5 small laser build instead.

After thinking it over......yea that one build I posted in the OP with the large pulse and three mediums does work better on the Jenner-K, Wispsy is right I guess theres no point to the Jenner F unless your gonna do 5 or 6 energy weapons of some sort. But yea all of these suggestions so far have been great. Thanks for humoring me.

You're welcome =)

I've try the build with Large pulse and two or three medium laser. It's not bad but i find it a bit hot... Depend of your play style i think.
One thing that i always keep in mind is to build my light mechs in order to have the possibility to be efficient on Terra Therma (worst map for light laser boat).
Having a group of small laser or small pulse lasers allows you to always shot on hotest map without taking a risk of overheating (but you have to be close of your ennemies).

#12 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

View PostLunatech, on 02 June 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

If you can get bored playing with this 5ML then perhaps the Jenner is not for you?

Significantly cooler than all the builds posted already.

Currently messing around with the above build. Will probably get switched back to the usual 5ML build since the extra JJ and armour is more helpful than marginally better heat efficiency.

Try this one JR7-F Med+MedPulse
It's not as cool but way more powerful. And on the hot maps you learn heat management with this one...
(Well actually I run it with an XL300 and can work with the heat most of the time. With XL295 it should go quite well with heat.)

Edited by Jherek C, 10 June 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#13 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

View PostAleski, on 03 June 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

I don't use medium pulse laser on that chassis because it's way too hot!

Not true.

#14 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

Not true.

Ha ha, prove it =)

With your build on Terra Therma, you're a dead pilot in a walking cooking machine! The 6xMed Laser is very difficult to play in Terra Therma, so that one is going to be worse!

The principle of the lights is not to carry a big load of guns, but it's to be able to shoot a lot with small weapons, and NEVER overheat. If you overheat, you're dead, it's like 2+2 = 4. It's inexorable.
This playstyle is "harrassement" and not "kick asses with big LAZORS".

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

And on the hot maps you learn heat management with this one...
(Well actually I run it with an XL300 and can work with the heat most of the time. With XL295 it should go quite well with heat.)

Nope, you're going to learn that lights can't carry too much energy weapons... It's DOA.

I've try a loadout with XL280 + 4xSmall pulse + 2xMed pulse when i was beginning on my Jenner. After dying and dying and overheat too much, can't be able to made good damages on hotest map, i've understand how to play this mech well.

Of course it's depend of your playstyle, but you will never be efficient on hotest maps.

See you on battlefield =)

Edited by Aleski, 10 June 2014 - 04:18 AM.

#15 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

i think i run mine right now with 3ML on the right arm and 2SL and 1 SPL on the left arm. had the 3ML/3SPL version for a bit but the extra ton i can turn into another DHS and given the way i circle strafe the left side weapons are going to be lined up longest with the enemy mech so something i can fire more often and with less heat works better on that side. plus i tend to lose the left side much more often than the right because of this so better to have to less damaging weapons on that side too.

#16 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

I usually run with six small pulse lasers, to very good effect.

#17 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostAleski, on 10 June 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Ha ha, prove it =)

JENNER JR7-F | 313 | 147 | 159 | 0.92 | 178 | 169 | 1.05 | 57,724 | 210,072 | 1 day 13:43:01

With your build on Terra Therma, you're a dead pilot in a walking cooking machine! The 6xMed Laser is very difficult to play in Terra Therma, so that one is going to be worse!

It is hot and my actual damage is less on that map because I can shot less (but up to 2 alphas are pretty possible and I have a chainfire on button three so I can still shot with single lasers when I am too hot), but I had a few successful fights on that one too. As you see in the stats I posted, I have 1.05 KDR with this build over more than 300 matches. As the maps are random, alot of them been on Mordor. I wouldn't get a KDR of more than 1 if I was a dead pilot in a cooking machine. And it was the first mech I bought, so I started it as a noob where I died often and what brought my KDR even lower. A pro pilot might have much more than 1.05.

The principle of the lights is not to carry a big load of guns, but it's to be able to shoot a lot with small weapons, and NEVER overheat. If you overheat, you're dead, it's like 2+2 = 4. It's inexorable.

Jenner is still a kick-ass light mech. The harrassment guys are Spiders and Embers.

Edited by Jherek C, 10 June 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#18 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

Try this one JR7-F Med+MedPulse
It's not as cool but way more powerful. And on the hot maps you learn heat management with this one...

Thanks for the advice, and if the JR7-F(c) goes on sale again I'll try that out. As it stands my JR7-F 5Mlas will remain forever unchanged. I adore this thing, and have the CDA-2A for 6Mlas goodness.

View PostAleski, on 10 June 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Nope, you're going to learn that lights can't carry too much energy weapons... It's DOA.

I disagree with this. Lights can afford to run really hot as they have the mobility and speed enabling them to run off and cool down.

Obviously, in a light vs light duel among equal pilots heat efficiency rules determines the outcome. But for the hit and fade tactics the Jenner excels at, heat eff. isnt as important.

Heat management is OP. Learn your mech. If you get too hot, either break off to cool down or start using chain fire.

Edited by Lunatech, 10 June 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#19 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice, and if the JR7-F(c) goes on sale again I'll try that out. As it stands my JR7-F 5Mlas will remain forever unchanged.

Not much point in getting the champion if you have the regular JR7-F, they have the exact same hardpoints.

#20 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

I disagree with this. Lights can afford to run really hot as they have the mobility and speed enabling them to run off and cool down.

Obviously, in a light vs light duel among equal pilots heat efficiency rules determines the outcome. But for the hit and fade tactics the Jenner excels at, heat eff. isnt as important.

Heat management is OP. Learn your mech. If you get too hot, either break off to cool down or start using chain fire.

It's really depending on your playstyle. I don't like to loose my time by cooling down behind hills... For me the loadouts who fits the most on my JN7 are the better heat efficient. And the heat is always a major issue when you design a light. We can see all of the firestarters pilot at the beginning, who were running 8xmed laser and die anytime by overheating in the battle.

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

JENNER JR7-F | 313 | 147 | 159 | 0.92 | 178 | 169 | 1.05 | 57,724 | 210,072 | 1 day 13:43:01

Respect!!! :P

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

It is hot and my actual damage is less on that map because I can shot less (but up to 2 alphas are pretty possible and I have a chainfire on button three so I can still shot with single lasers when I am too hot), but I had a few successful fights on that one too. As you see in the stats I posted, I have 1.05 KDR with this build over more than 300 matches. As the maps are random, alot of them been on Mordor. I wouldn't get a KDR of more than 1 if I was a dead pilot in a cooking machine. And it was the first mech I bought, so I started it as a noob where I died often and what brought my KDR even lower. A pro pilot might have much more than 1.05.

Jenner is still a kick-ass light mech. The harrassment guys are Spiders and Embers.

I disagreed for the Ember. This mech is a finisher and an assault murdurer. Your role is to kill, not to harass.
The JN7 can fit different role, with that speed, you can harass and play hit and run more than just "kicking ass", no?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users