38 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Sorry if I missed an anouncement from PGI did a Forum search and the last entry is from 2013 that I found, but has there been any word on a European server since then or is this another one of the things that just died out?

I hardly play anymore due to the terrible ping that I get from Europe, and prefer to play War Thunder then the latency feast that this game has turned out to be, and before the usual fan boy club starts to scream a European Server was promised about 2 years ago similar to comunity war and we all know what heppend there.

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

I think you can still get 150ms to 200ms from Europe to the Canadian server. MWO is surprisingly lag tolerant. I constantly play around 220ms to 300ms from my island in the Pacific. I have seen people excel in the game even with 300ms to 400ms in their ping times.

I think the problem currently is that the population isn't big enough to sustain a lot of servers, and its better right now that with a small cozy player base, its better to keep everything and everyone unfragmented in one server. It worked for EVE Online.

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

It is better to keep everyone together with the small playerbase that MWO has, que times would become stupidly long.
MWO is perfectly playable with a ping of 200ms or less as long as that is stable, which is network related.

If it's not stable that's a different story.

#4 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

That's the thing,it's not stable.I played for an hour last night and I got dc'd 4 times.

#5 VeryVizzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

Having a European server would not necessarily split the player base. It would require the matchmaker to initially try to find a match on your nearest (or lowest ping) server but if it takes too long then it can simply open up to all servers.

True, it would mean more complications to the MM and so more things to go wrong but it could also mean much lower pings for a sizable portion of the player base.

#6 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

Going by pretty much every other game that has EU servers and combine that with the current population of MWO... You do not want a EU server... Trust me on that one.

You would have cue times in the double digit minutes for the middle of the pack Elo and high Elo would most likley not see a match in under a few hours.

But hey at least you would have better ping... Not that it matter as any problem you have now stem from cruddy ISP to begin with. (i say this as a swede with a good ISP and a constant ping of 150+ that have no problem hitting and killing things.)

Also now is perhaps not the right time to start fiddling around with extra servers and service providers. I´d rather see they get the full game up and running before they start hunting for a new service provider in EU/RUS

#7 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

AlexEss: The ping isn't noticeable while playing against people in a 50 ms ping range from yours.
Thing is, once you have a ping of 140 and play against people with 70 and lower pings, you will notice how your shots will only hit the enemy if you aim to the empty space in front of the enemy.

Not only that but in a lower ping, the player can "see you" before you "see him" and therefore engage you sooner.

This has happened to me lots of time, especially while scouting in an ECM light 'mech.

As soon as the Western European clock hits the 10pm, the game changes so much its amazing...

Edit - On the other hand, you can also see the ping difference once you play against someone in the 200+ ping range. You will consistently hit them as they miss loads of shots. It's not just the strafing and dodging at play here...

Edited by FlipOver, 29 July 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#8 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Funny... I have seen very little of these issues. Then again it might simply be me being used to lead targets since i have played with high ping for well over 10 years in different games.

Not saying you are wrong tho... Just that the minuscule benefit of low ping is usually overshadowed by the fact that you have to wait all night for a match... Also PGI would need a partner in the EU to run the servers... That in turn most likley leads to EU people being stuck with the likes of P7S... That in turn will lead to us having to make a new account and if we are lucky only suffer through a somewhat farked transfer process that loose peoples data.

No... I rather stay here with my high ping and proper servers...

#9 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

Proper Server? We had 2 game crashes in the last 2 hours. More and more Moonwalking. It is unfair to bee shoot down before you get the Information that there is an enemy. I would like to see EU Server.

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

I wouldn't mind an EU server as long as i'm not forced to play on it. I prefer a server where people speak English, and not only when they want to insult you because they think you're American. I had enough of that crap on the WoT EU server.

#11 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 29 July 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

Proper Server? We had 2 game crashes in the last 2 hours. More and more Moonwalking. It is unfair to bee shoot down before you get the Information that there is an enemy. I would like to see EU Server.

Everyone has those issues right now... Not only EU people...

But i guess you woudl like to have to migrate all your data over to Pro7Sat and their gaming service... Having all support go through them first... Having forums that are dead as the Dodo and once the contract runs out or get to costly having to migrate your account back again risking to lose data for no gain at all... Or how about another provider that demands that all EU people play on their servers only.. Splitting the community and forcing units apart....

No... I have seen enough brain dead antics from EU server solutions to not particularly trust that solution.

#12 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

I am based in North Wales UK and get 100-120ms ping...

100m-illi s-econds is 0.1 seconds lag :) hardly an issuse. What can cause problems is distance and quality of the exchange your connected to, thank god there upgrading the lines in the valley to Fiber Optic :angry:

#13 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

IT would cut back on the jimmy, jammy and governor euro slang :)

#14 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

I would like it if they got like 20 eu servers and the match maker would first try to get all EU ppl together and if there isnt enough then throw a couple of americans in there to fill in the blanks. We are already playing fine on their server then they can play fine on eu server too. In the bad hours you can just throw the eu ppl to the american servers just like it is now. It does not seem like a complicated solution in theory, but who knows how all the server renting and match making changes will work out. If pgi says it cost them 250k$ to make one map then I don't really believe in their ability to make simple and good solutions.

#15 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

I might be feeding the devil here since I'm from EU but I think that it's better that we have consistant ping and are used to leading our targets as we are, rather than having your ping change from game to game, it would be near impossible to re-calibrate your target leading between every game, depending on which server you land on. At least this way you are used to it permanently.

If nothing else, the rather huge delay of zoom toggle and sometiems even heat vision toggle is annoying me the most. Sometimes it's like the first hit didn't register, so I have to zoom in twice and now I'm suddenly at max zoom. Even for heat vision I sometimes press twice by reflex since the first one didn't make it activate, so the second one deactives it. Am I the only one getting this? Happens a lot. I noticed that in training ground zoom is instant. I envy you, NA players, if everybody had your ping times... it's more of a quality of life than a game changer I think, but I don't really feel handycapped, since I know that other players might be having lower or have other disadvantages, so I try to make the most of what I have in the other places. The slight delays and minor ping disadvantage makes it a little harder but I live with it. I'd rather see it staying as it is as having my conditions change from game to game; would probably be more noticable and annoying, as funny as it might sound.

Edited by NeoCodex, 29 July 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#16 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

Not gonna happen ; theres a lot of groups already formed and a european server will only separate them.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

Here's the reality...

As long as the playerbase isn't growing dramatically (especially in non-North Amereica regions), there is really no compelling reason financially to expand the server farms in other locations of the world.

#18 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

I.E They lied to us Europeans again, ah well then I will continue to play War Thnder which has a EU server, a US server and a Russian and Asia server and has a similar player base as MWO if MWO has less then it is as good as dead lol.

#19 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Good for you no one cares.

#20 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

I'm in europe, I have stable 130-160ms, I don't feel shortchanged vis a vis sub-50ms players.

If 0.1s makes that much of a difference to you, then perhaps you should start looking at why you feel like it does. It's actually not likely at all it does.

What really makes things wonky is connection instability. If the server can't correctly assess the lag between the player and the server, it will be unable to reliably rewind host state to match what the player was actually seeing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users