- - - - -

Choice Of Second Mech

21 replies to this topic

#1 UnrealGK

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi all,
I recently started playing MWO and asked what would be a great second mech.
I was told to first get my Hunchback elite so I did.
I currently own three Hunchback's (4SP - 4P and 4G) and they are all elite.
I'm selling the 4G (not sure about selling the 4P or 4SP) and wondering what would be a great second mech?
I thought that i liked the ballistics of the 4G until I figured out how much fun you can have with 9ML in a 4P :P .
So what would be a great mehc for me too buy and why?

greetings,
UnrealGK

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

How fast do you want to go? What weapons do you want to use?

If you really like laserboating, then maybe an even bigger laserboat might be fun. The Timberwolf would be a solid choice if you wanted to drop some cash on the game for a clan pack/a la carte purchase, and IS assault mechs like the Awesome, Battlemaster, and Banshee can all bring a big fat standard engine and lots of lasers.

Obviously if you want to try a different style of play there are tons of other choices.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

The Nova with 12 Clan ER Small Lasers and 4 Clan Machine Guns is my favorite brawler.

But for Inner Sphere, next would be a BlackJack, forgot which one it is but can boat a decent amount of lasers without breaking the bank.

#4 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

There's a lot of directions you can go. Here are some fun mechs that I personally enjoy.

1) Commando! Fast hit and run tactics are always enjoyable

2) Raven! A classic you can't go wrong with.

3) Cicada! Is it a light? Is it a medium? Nobody knows!

4) Shadowhawk! Versatile and tough.

5) Catapult! Another classic. Not much versatility, but you want missiles? Forgetaboutit!

6) Orion! Atlas Jr? Yes please!

7) Awesome! Don't let the negative hype fool you, this mech's an ass kicker.

8) Atlas! Why get Jr when big papa is right here?

Of course, there are some great clan mechs, but those cost real money for a few more months.

#5 UnrealGK

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm currently going 98 kmph and all tough this is a lot of fun I would also like something that can take a hit.
For that purpose I would not mind to trade in some speed.
I also noticed that medium lasers are not doing any kind of damage long range, I would like something that would also do some damage long range.
I HATE LRM but that is only because i can't use it and it is sometimes hard to take cover from it :P
Also i currently don't want to spend any real money on mech's at this time (maybe later).

Edited by UnrealGK, 02 August 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#6 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostUnrealGK, on 02 August 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

I'm currently going 98 kmph and all tough this is a lot of fun I would also like something that can take a hit.
For that purpose I would not mind to trade in some speed.
I also noticed that medium lasers are not doing any kind of damage long range, I would like something that would also do some damage long range.
I HATE LRM but that is only because i can't use it and it is sometimes hard to take cover from it :P
Also i currently don't want to spend any real money on mech's at this time (maybe later).

If you like speed and taking hits, BlackJack with Large Lasers or ER Large and small lasers for up close.

If you want a fast one, BJ-1X with a Standard 295 and speed tweak will take you to 116.8 KPH. But I only use two medium lasers and 6 small lasers for that.

-EDIT-

Torso twist when taking hits.

Edited by Ryvucz, 02 August 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

For a heavier workout, consider a Cataphract 3D or Orion K. Those can pack a lot of firepower. You can try basic loadouts on the trial mechs.

Weapons have different ranges. Medium lasers top out at 540m with optimal damage done up to 270m. You can find out all game data, like weapon stats, @Smurfy. It is also a handy mechlab for planning purchases without spending Cbills.

Edited by Modo44, 02 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#8 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

A great, if somewhat underrated, Heavy Laser Boat is the Thud-5SS. You run a Std 300, a pair of large lasers in the right arm, and 5 medium lasers in the other hard points, ignoring the shoulder missile launcher. Maximum Armor, as many DHS as you can cram in, and it can be a LOT of fun. Much like the 4P, you have to use your left side to soak damage, before torso twisting to fire. I will frequently end the match with most of my mech gone, if not actually dead, but with a little caution, I can out brawl a T-Wolf.
The only problem I have is that I can't for the life of me find a build on any of the other Thunderbolts that works for me. But if you like the 4P, you'll probably like the Thunderbolt-5SS. (Customer Satisfaction NOT guaranteed. No Substitutions, exchanges, or refunds)

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

For mechs similar to the 4P / 4SP that can boat energy and still be reasonably fast...

Inner Sphere: Battlemaster (most variants), Thunderbolts, Shadowhawk (2K), Wolverines, Banshee.

Almost every single one can also use SRMs and has at least a ballistic variant for a bit of 4G nostalgia, too.

Piece one together here.

(In 4 weeks you can also try a Nova for cbills. Nova (Blackhawk) can carry up to 12 energy weapons and they are arm mounted for high flexibility.)

By reasonably fast I mean both fast for what they are and able to take quite a bit of abuse.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

And I didn't think to list it because of its history, but I'd actually like to add the Awesome to that list.

Despite all the guff Awesomes have gotten over the history of the game, the recent quirks have helped the Awesome a fair bit. Still among the worst hitboxes in the game, but that 17% protection to CT and reduced heat generation and increased dissipation has made it interesting.

I've made some semi-heat neutral PPC boats that can fire triple PPCs on Terra Therma 5 times back to back before slowing down, YAY STANDARD HEATSINKS OF AWESOMENESS! (Seriously. Sure the build I used has got less armor than the typical maxed out Cicada, but they don't know that... Everyone aims for the center torso).

Glee.

So if you like having a great view, the Awesome is actually a not-as-terrible-as-the-negative-hype-may-imply choice for energy boating, too.

Especially if you wanna get away with laughing in the face of ghost heat. The 5 ER LL build is great too!

Edited by Koniving, 02 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#11 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

Mechs you may want to try / look at based on you opening comments ...
Catapult K2 / Jester
Firebrand
Quickdraw 5K
Thunderbolt 5SS & 9S

#12 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

If you like the speed, Dragons are worth considering, but remember - if people don't know whether a Cicada is a Light or a Medium, people don't know if Dragon is a Light, Medium or Heavy. It's normally undergunned, the arms are broad, and it's got a reasonably large CT. BUT, it can take a decent mix of weapons, it's capable of over 100kph with a large enough engine, and, if played right, can make for a Light mech's worst nightmare made of endo steel.

But, as other people have said, there are plenty of other mechs to consider. I'm a Hunchback pilot myself, so I understand your pain. Thunderbolt, Battlemaster, Wolverine, Banshee, Blackjack and (to some extent) Firestarter are all worthwhile choices. Why the Firestarter? Well, you've got more speed, and the shorter range of those Medium Lasers is rapidly changed when you've got the extra speed.

Personally, I support the suggestions of the Thunderbolt, it's basically an armored wrecking ball with the capability of carrying a similar config to a Hunchback. Plus it has a rather nice view. One of my favourite variations is a short-ranged smasher with SRMs. Five Medium Pulse Lasers, two SRM4s. As long as you don't alpha, and keep the arm and torso MPLs separate, you can rip open the backsides of enemy Assault mechs before they can retaliate, and since you're reasonably nimble for your size, you can keep out of the direct line of fire, at least when fighting a Dire Wolf or Stalker. I've had a few brilliant games in it, and quite a few not-so-brilliant ones.

#13 UnrealGK

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the responses.
I think i will buy a Thunderbolt but are there any Thunderbolts that i shouldn't buy?

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

I like the 9S the best because of the really high mounts on the energy weapons in the right torso. Great for peaking over hills! It can also mount dual AMS. Great for destroying missiles. The 9SE looks to be the worse one judging by hardpoints, but the only one capable of having jump jets so you should also get that one. You'd also probably want the 5SS. So skip the 5S.

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

I should also point out that the Cataphract is also a good choice, but are more ballistic orientated (some variants moreso than others).

#16 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

not sure if some of these recommendations are trolling. if OP wants to have fun and at least have a decent mech, the choices are fairly limited

Lights
Firestarter. The best is the Ember for real money
RVN-3L. The only good RVN, unfortunately you're going to have to drop CBills for 2 other variants
Jenner-F. See above about RVNs

Mediums
Shadowhawks. The best is the 2K variant.

Heavy
Forget about IS heavies. Just save up for Timberwolf CBill release in November or drop real money for it now. Most IS heavies suffer from hitbox issues. Jagermechs are fun but extremely fragile. The CTF-3D has been nerfed to hell due to the JJ changes.

Assault
Victors. The best is the Dragon Slayer, which is still the strongest IS mech
Stalkers. The best is the Misery
Atlas DDC. The rest are just giant target boards

#17 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

I would say go for a different weight class. That way if you roll with friends(feel free to friend me) you can help the group meet drop requirements!!!!!!!!!!

Heavy would be the best choice, imo.
You get more firepower and armor for similar speed. Heavies can push and brawl but get out if things go bad.
Jager or Cataphracts, you get nice IS pinpoint fl damage.

Clan, buy a timberwolf. The only option...until it gets the nerf bat treatment.

After that go assault or light. Assaults and lights are *****WAY***** less forgiving for piloting mistakes.
IS lights lack firepower and due to lack of Role Warfare, have the least relevancy(and im a light pilot!)
Lights have to use their mobility to solve problems. Now they have to be really sneaky, they can no longer run around with invincibility frames.
(lag shields)
They would be more like a thief in a rpg. Backstab and get out. Flank, harass, get out. Dont sit still unless you know you are safe. IS lights would be Jenner, Firestarter, Spider. Commandos are kinda outdated, Locusts are for the brave and suicidal- Charles Bronson Deathwish. Clan? Only the Kitfox. Kitfox is flexible, fun, and strong as most IS mediums. Adder is very limited.

Assaults carry lots of beef- firepower and armor, but once you commit to a spot, if it goes bad, you aint getting out of it anytime soon.
You are the pivot of a push, you cant do it alone, you need the group. But you are the heavy straight right punch- straight to the face! You WILL be targeted first, but hey, you can take it. As long as your team shoots down whatever you target, enemies will fall. Dont hang in the back of the map unless you really know what you are doing.

As far as heavy or assault, might as well wh*re out and do the meta thing.
2ppc+ac or 2ac+pps or combo of gauss/ppc/ac

Dont mess around with that lrm business, its for underhivers.

View PostKoniving, on 02 August 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

And I didn't think to list it because of its history, but I'd actually like to add the Awesome to that list.

Despite all the guff Awesomes have gotten over the history of the game, the recent quirks have helped the Awesome a fair bit. Still among the worst hitboxes in the game, but that 17% protection to CT and reduced heat generation and increased dissipation has made it interesting.

I've made some semi-heat neutral PPC boats that can fire triple PPCs on Terra Therma 5 times back to back before slowing down, YAY STANDARD HEATSINKS OF AWESOMENESS! (Seriously. Sure the build I used has got less armor than the typical maxed out Cicada, but they don't know that... Everyone aims for the center torso).

Glee.

So if you like having a great view, the Awesome is actually a not-as-terrible-as-the-negative-hype-may-imply choice for energy boating, too.

Especially if you wanna get away with laughing in the face of ghost heat. The 5 ER LL build is great too!

Dude, im gonna have to try the Awesome in stock matches. After i get my meta Victors for regular play.

#18 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostUnrealGK, on 02 August 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Hi all,
I recently started playing MWO and asked what would be a great second mech.
I was told to first get my Hunchback elite so I did.
I currently own three Hunchback's (4SP - 4P and 4G) and they are all elite.
I'm selling the 4G (not sure about selling the 4P or 4SP) and wondering what would be a great second mech?
I thought that i liked the ballistics of the 4G until I figured out how much fun you can have with 9ML in a 4P :( .
So what would be a great mehc for me too buy and why?

greetings,
UnrealGK

Don't sell the 4G. I too prefer both the 4P and the 4SP for my laser-loving play style.

But honestly, the ability to tote around a clan-smashing AC20 is key at some points and you'll regret not having the option.

As a second mech, I'd suggest the BJs. If you've been able to elite your HBKs, you'll become an even better pilot by refining your skills with a lighter mech that has a wider range of possible (effective) loadouts!

It's fast, nimble and can carry knock-out power. My unit actually has 3 builds that are perfectly viable in competitive play.

#19 UnrealGK

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

hmmmm some though choices.
I think i would like the Thunderbolt, Jager, Cataphracts and the Shadowhawk.
That would be the four that are still on my mind.
I do have a question about the skill tree though,
I have unlocked the entire elite tree and so the basic of all my Hunchback's is 2X, but do I have to unlock the entire elite tree again if I'm going to play another medium for the basic skills to count 2X or is the first skill in basic that i unlock 2X right away?

#20 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Lets say i have hunchback and centurion, both mediums. To unlock elite tier skills for hunchback i must complete 3 different hunchback variants' basic skills. Same for centurions.

To unlock master tier skills i need to complete 3 of any medium mech. Thus i can complete say, 2 hunchbacks and 1 centurion to unlock master tier skills for all mediums.

Skills and xp earned for each mech you own counts for that mech only, so if you play centurions you will need to redo the skill tree for 3 of them to unlock elite and complete elite for the 2x bonus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users