Hitbox

264 replies to this topic

#241 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Added the Thanatos. It's one of the few 'mechs whose side torsos do not drop into the hips. From the side the STs jut out enough to protect the CT. Those are nice ways of saying the STs are giant.

#242 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#243 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostThroe, on 26 April 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Any ETA on the Fafnir? Need help testing?

I don't release 'mechs before they are available for MC, and the Fafnir comes our for MC in September.

#244 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Added Hellspawn and Piranha. This is my first time taking the screenshots with the new MechBay. Since the MechBay now moves rather than the mech spinning on a static MechBay, the background is different with the front and rear images. It's not a big thing, but with the smaller mechs I'd like to be able to zoom in. At least I don't have to time the screenshot between puffs of smoke at the feet anymore. In addition, with Solaris I now have many more small maps to choose, so I don't have to travel a long time before getting into small laser range. Unfortunately even on Boreal Reach there are shadows on the mech that makes it a bit hard to judge hit box transitions. I wish I could equip a spot light. While I'm wishing I'd like an IS "Super Duper Weak Small Laser" that only does enough damage to cause the paper doll to flicker.

Hellspawn: the offset fuselage is a bit strange. Neither the side nor center torso wraps on it (like most fuselage mechs do), but this is the first mech where the cockpit hitbox is bisected by the mech body hitboxes. The shoulder weapon pods are arm hitboxes.

Piranha: Nothing unusual. Wide shoulders equals a wide side torso hitbox.

#245 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 14 June 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

While I'm wishing I'd like an IS "Super Duper Weak Small Laser" that only does enough damage to cause the paper doll to flicker.

Light Machine Gun?

#246 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 14 June 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

Light Machine Gun?

It sprays around the cursor actually. Lasers are precise.

#247 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

Added Black Lanner and Sun Spider.

Greetings, Mechwarriors! Sorry for the delay, summer jumped up and bit my butt. I should have the Fafnir up in the next week.

Black Lanner: Different side torso hitbox layouts front and back, especially around the hips. Large side torso from the rear. Has "Nova Face" fuselage, but you are able to hit center torso from the side if you aim at the edges.

Sun Spider: Simple hitbox layout, but I found some strange dead zones on the "lower handle bars" of the arm hitboxes. You need to be standing still and aiming right at them for it to be an issue, and you shouldn't be aiming for these tiny arm parts anyway. Of larger concern is the hitbox dead zone on the rear upper left torso. But like the other it is very small.

Note on dead zones: there may be many more, and on every mech. I only sweep for the transitions between hitboxes, I don't examine every square inch of each mech.

Edited by Tamerlin, 11 September 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#248 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 11 September 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Added Black Lanner and Sun Spider.

Greetings, Mechwarriors! Sorry for the delay, summer jumped up and bit my butt. I should have the Fafnir up in the next week.

Black Lanner: Different side torso hitbox layouts front and back, especially around the hips. Large side torso from the rear. Has "Nova Face" fuselage, but you are able to hit center torso from the side if you aim at the edges.

Sun Spider: Simple hitbox layout, but I found some strange dead zones on the "lower handle bars" of the arm hitboxes. You need to be standing still and aiming right at them for it to be an issue, and you shouldn't be aiming for these tiny arm parts anyway. Of larger concern is the hitbox dead zone on the rear upper left torso. But like the other it is very small.

Note on dead zones: there may be many more, and on every mech. I only sweep for the transitions between hitboxes, I don't examine every square inch of each mech.

Thank you for all your hard work for these!

#249 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 11 September 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

#250 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

Added Fafnir. From the rear the arm hitbox includes the body. The side torso hitboxes drop into the hips on the rear, but not all the way from the front. The stubby fuselage is all center torso, so I did not include a profile image.

#251 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

Edit: whoa - somehow I destroyed this. Reloading.

Added Blood Asp. Arm hitboxes cross the should joint and cover the shoulders, probably because of the large ST when the BAS has weapon pods on its ST. It has small dead zones at top of shoulders when hit from front. The rear of the shoulder-mounted weapons pod is rear ST.

I made a video of hitbox testing of the BAS. Please give me suggestions!

Edited by Tamerlin, 07 November 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#252 Van mw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWar zone

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

View PostTamerlin, on 14 June 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

While I'm wishing I'd like an IS "Super Duper Weak Small Laser" that only does enough damage to cause the paper doll to flicker.

View PostSteel Raven, on 14 June 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

Light Machine Gun?

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 June 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

It sprays around the cursor actually. Lasers are precise.

How about flamer then? It does almost no damage.

#253 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:58 AM

View PostTamerlin, on 05 November 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Added Blood Asp. Small dead zones at top of arm/shoulder hitbox when hit from front. The rear of the shoulder-mounted weapons pod is rear ST.

Oh yeah - I made a video of mapping the BAS. It's about time. Leave comments in the YouTube or in this thread.

Very interesting video! Thanks for your service to the community mate, I’ve referenced this thread a bunch of times since I’ve started this game, and it has helped tremendously.

As mentioned above, a flamer might help speed up matters, or if the visual effect interferes too much, possibly a clan mech with a micro laser? Or a combination - flamer to find the joins, micro to zero in on the exact lines.

Also, don’t know if it would make much difference, but I notice the glow effects on armour panels don’t match up with the hit boxes, and it made it a bit more difficult for me to visualise the hit boxes. Do you think it would help with glow effects turned off in the settings, or doesn’t make much difference to you?

#254 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:34 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 11 September 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

^^ This Posted Image thx

#255 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

Added the Flea, no video this time. I was surprised at the size of the CT compared to the ST, but it's all relative on such a small mech.

We passed 150,000 views! Thanks for all the support.

Flamer: after a brief "why didn't I think of that", I tested a flamer on the FLE. I found the paper doll response inconsistent, as if it only reported one out of every three or four hits.

Clan micro-laser: Denarian Saal, my hitbox testing pilot, does not have the CBills to buy Clan mechs. In addition I like having all the testing done by the same mech.

I linked the video to the original post.

Edited by Tamerlin, 14 November 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#256 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

Greetings, MechWarriors. I am traveling a lot during the first half of 2019, so I doubt there will be hitbox updates before June. Good luck on the battlefield.

#257 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

Greetings, MechWarriors! I have returned from a whirlwind tour of the Inner Sphere. Ah, the lights of Solaris City, the calm breezes on New Avalon, the traditions of Tharkad. Wonderful memories all.

However, I am dreadfully behind on 'Mech hitbox mapping. Here I've added four Clan 'Mechs: Incubus, Vapor Eagle, Hellfire and Warhammer-IIC. I also updated two images that had some wrong colors. I hope to have the IS 'Mechs mapped and uploaded in a few days.

All four of the 'Mechs have busy hips - the Side Torso (ST) drops onto the hips. The Vapor Eagle actually has the ST include the upper part of the moving leg - which I think is the first time on a 'Mech.

Thank you to the over 400 folks who watched my BAS Hitbox Mapping video. If you don't know what I am talking about - see the original post of this thread.

Edited by Tamerlin, 05 July 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#258 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

Great work you do, Tamerlin.
I wonder if it will be possible to get a hitbox compendium some time after MW5 mercs are released ;p Would be interesting to compare it to MWO mechs hitboxes.

#259 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

Added: Champion, Charger, Corsair, Hatamoto-Chi and Vulcan.

Note: Seems I've maxed out the number of pictures I can post within a single post. So here are the images until I work with the admin on something.

Vulcan: big shoulder pads. They really overlap onto the Side Torso (ST).

Posted Image

Champion: the wide stance is obvious. The ST wraps onto the fuselage, but extends farther on the lower fuselage.

Posted Image

Charger: standard

Posted Image

Corsair: Definitely not standard. The ST and Center Torso (CT) looks like a Tetris game.

Posted Image

Hatamoto-Chi: The ST/CT divisions are complex, kind of like the Atlas.

Posted Image

View PostTordin, on 10 July 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

Great work you do, Tamerlin.
I wonder if it will be possible to get a hitbox compendium some time after MW5 mercs are released ;p Would be interesting to compare it to MWO mechs hitboxes.

Thanks, Tordin. I don't know if MW5 will have some kind of "Private Lobby" option. If so, I'll probably do it.

Edited by Tamerlin, 12 July 2019 - 07:08 AM.

#260 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:55 AM

The Charger image is gone, FYI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users