• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

And replace it with:

ELEMENTALS!!!

Posted Image

Elementals:
Elementals are the trueborn, genetically-engineered infantry of the Clans. Designed and bred over dozens of generations to operate Clan Battle Armor, Elementals are the largest and strongest of the three common Clan warrior phenotype. Elementals average two to two and a half meters in height and are disproportionately muscular compared to even the strongest Inner Sphere warrior.

Clan Battle Armor:
Each suit of Clan Elemental battle armor mounts one Clan ER Small Laser and a detachable SRM-2 pack. The launcher holds a total of four missiles. Once the missiles have been expended the launcher may be jettisoned, improving mobility. The suit is also equipped with a strong manipulative claw effective at performing anti-'Mech attacks or hanging on to an OmniMech's handholds.

Posted Image

Usage:
Each Clan mech may carry one point of Elementals (5 battle armored troopers) as a single use consumable who enter the battle hanging on to the host mech via handholds. Each Clan pilot, at any time, can send their elemental point of 5 battlesuits to attack an enemy mech they have in LOS (like firing an airstrike).

Posted Image

Elementals must be launched at a mech and will not detach if activated while the targeting cursor is over terrain. Once launched at an enemy mech the Elementals will detach and stay as a group as they do 90 meter jumps to the target at around 32 kph. Due to their jump jets they can travel over nearly any terrain. They will always attempt to take the most direct route to their designated target.

The electronics module required for a mech to coordinate with a point of Elementals requires 2 slots.

Elementals In Combat:
The Elemental point will fire their ER Small Lasers once they are within 200m of their target, with each laser doing 4 damage every 2.25 seconds while they continue to advance. They fire their first SRM salvo using normal SRM2 parameters at 150m. They fire their second SRM salvo when they are at 75m to their target. Hit locations are randomized against the target mech.

If they reach 50 meters they will jump and swarm the target mech, using their claws to attach to a body part of the target mech. Once attached each suit will do 5 damage every 2.25 seconds from their claws and lasers to the body location they are attached to. They will continue to do damage until their target is destroyed. They will stay with that target, even if destroyed for the entire battle, though they will continue to fire their lasers at any enemy within effective (200m) range.

Posted Image

Destroying Elementals:
Each Elemental Battle Armor suit can take 10 damage (so a single point carried by one clan mech requires 50 damage to completely destroy). Elementals can be attacked at any time, including being shot off a Clan mech before they are deployed as well as attacked as they advance to their target. A friendly mech can shoot hostile Elementals swarming an ally, but there is a danger that they will hit their friend instead.

Mechs with hands can attempt to remove Elementals from their mech. This requires that the swarmed mech remain still and not fire any weapons for 5 seconds per Elemental attached as they try to grab a battlesuit and crush it in their fists. Mechs that have one hand take twice as long to remove a single Elemental. Mechs with no hands are out of luck and must depend on a friend shooting them off or eventually die.

Posted Image

I posted about Infantry and Armor consumables in March 2013:
http://mwomercs.com/...ntry-and-armor/

I posted my original idea for Elementals in April 2013:
http://mwomercs.com/...63#entry2264163

I know you have thought about it:
Posted Image

More than once:
Posted Image

So I ask:
Posted Image

Edited by Asakara, 05 August 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#2 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think it's a fantastic idea to get rid of clan arty strikes and only allow air.

But I think the elementals shouldn't be AI but human players. Have then on both sides, say 12-24 each side, and they respawn. Change up the maps to have objectives that only elementals can get. Like underneath in HPG, close it off so the entrance only fits infantry.

Make the combat like tribes.

#3 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostOzeo, on 05 August 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

I think it's a fantastic idea to get rid of clan arty strikes and only allow air.

But I think the elementals shouldn't be AI but human players. Have then on both sides, say 12-24 each side, and they respawn. Change up the maps to have objectives that only elementals can get. Like underneath in HPG, close it off so the entrance only fits infantry.

But the lag, THE LAG!

#4 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

No.

#5 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

No.

Keep the Elemental as AI.

PGI could also add table top rules to carrying Elementals on your mech such as they provide, oh I don't know 5% extra protection on your arms or whatever since the Elementals are armored and hanging from your mech.

Edited by Kibble, 05 August 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#6 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

And give weapons like machine guns and flamers more appropriate targets. Sir, have you gone mad?

...I want it.

#7 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostRouken, on 05 August 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

And give weapons like machine guns and flamers more appropriate targets. Sir, have you gone mad?

...I want it.

Well elementals are considered to be very dangerous largely because they are not as easy to kill as other types of battle armor, we'd probably end up killing them mostly with laser and UAC fire.
Gauss and other frontloaded weapons would work too, but that would be extremely inefficient, meaning they would be a good way to deal with the current meta builds. So when are we getting infantry for the IS?

#8 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Woot! Looks like Elementals and tanks are on the radar!

Thanks PGI! :D

No Guts No Galaxy #117: Bryan Ekman
https://soundcloud.c...117-bryan-ekman

#9 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

I like the idea of Elementals respawning. Another idea would be to have a person control 5 elementals, be able to give his group simple orders (attack target, move here, go to area, etc) and if he's killed, he transfers to one of the other in his group. That's how I originally wanted to do them in MW4.

#10 damonwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'll fix this for you Clan haters:
Get rid of spammed Arty Strikes for IS and Clans. Make Arty and Air Strikes only usable by those with an IS Command Console or a Clanner with a Mk III (or higher) Targeting Comp.

#11 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

View Postdamonwolf, on 07 August 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I'll fix this for you Clan haters:
Get rid of spammed Arty Strikes for IS and Clans. Make Arty and Air Strikes only usable by those with an IS Command Console or a Clanner with a Mk III (or higher) Targeting Comp.

I am rather fond of my Masakari Collection.

#12 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

sounds awesome but having them stay until destroyed would just be WAY to OP.

and once they attach how would a mech ever remove them?

a clan light could just run up behind an IS assault mech (assuming faster clan light then current) get into hugging range pop their elementals then run away and let the elementals destroy the assault on their own.

either never have them "attach" or have them detach after X time.

but frankly the attaching thing would just cause too many problems. and their Damage/DPS would have to be balanced as well. this would give machine guns a major use though.

#13 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

I think this would just make me want a single player campaign even more than I already do...

#14 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Well, let's take this farther and have a tank and aerospace fighter mode as well !!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Demolisher

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stingray

#15 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 07 August 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

sounds awesome but having them stay until destroyed would just be WAY to OP.

and once they attach how would a mech ever remove them?

a clan light could just run up behind an IS assault mech (assuming faster clan light then current) get into hugging range pop their elementals then run away and let the elementals destroy the assault on their own.

either never have them "attach" or have them detach after X time.

but frankly the attaching thing would just cause too many problems. and their Damage/DPS would have to be balanced as well. this would give machine guns a major use though.

I suggested a couple ways in the OP to remove Elementals if they manage to get within 50m of their target to swarm them:

1) If the mech has hands it can use those to grab the swarming Elementals and crush them in their fists (providing a use for mech hands in the game).

2) A friendly mech can shoot the Elementals off a swarmed ally (though they take a chance of hitting their friend if their aim is bad).

In any case it is just an idea.

#16 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 05 August 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Well elementals are considered to be very dangerous largely because they are not as easy to kill as other types of battle armor, we'd probably end up killing them mostly with laser and UAC fire.
Gauss and other frontloaded weapons would work too, but that would be extremely inefficient, meaning they would be a good way to deal with the current meta builds. So when are we getting infantry for the IS?

If I remember my rules correctly lasers and ACs (and PPC) wouldn't be very good. You would want pulse lasers, missiles, flamers, and machine guns.

#17 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Holy hell that is some terrible, terrible art.

#18 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Get rid of consumables entirely. An unwanted addition that PGI is paying for now

#19 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

If you are going to do Elementals.. I want one of the effects to be a crazed looking Elemental climbing a [Blackjack] and punching through the cockpit glass while the others saw away it its legs.

#20 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostAsakara, on 05 August 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

ELEMENTALS!!!

I'm all for it, as long as the elementals either burst from your mech's chest Alien style, or are thrown at your enemies like a midget catapault.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users