Mouse?

22 replies to this topic

#1 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

I'm looking to buy a new mouse this week as my current one is on its way out.

Narrowed it down to two choices but I've never had a gaming mouse before, so I thought it would be best to ask here if anyone has some input.

Logitech G500s

Corsair M65

They both seem quite similar, with the Corsair looking much better and having two fewer buttons. But looks don't really factor into this.

Any of you folks have experience with either of these? Which would you recommend?

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

I bought a G500 over a year ago and I love it. You can change the weight of the mouse, the logitech software is easy to use. I'm happy with my purchas

#3 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostShamous13, on 03 June 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

I bought a G500 over a year ago and I love it. You can change the weight of the mouse, the logitech software is easy to use. I'm happy with my purchas

^Smokeyjedi approves this message^

#4 Ghengis Cohen

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

Logitech makes good stuff. You won't go wrong with the G500.

#5 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Of the two you mentioned, I'd grab the G500.

I know you say you narrowed it down, but I recently picked up a Cooler Master Storm Inferno ( http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA3SD1DY6921) . I love this thing. Unfortunately, the price went up $10 US, but I don't know about availability in the UK or Europe. The thing that sold me is I have trouble with thumb buttons and this thing has two large ones. I just can't seem to ever find them directly. These sit right under my thumb.

Plus I like the DPI on the fly settings and the ability to work straight out of the box.

I wish Logitech still made the G9x, had a great feel to it. I loved mine till I broke the buttons from mashing too hard.

#6 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Two things make logitech mice stand out:

1) Tilt mouse wheel. Very useful for MWO - Tilt L/R = view modes (heat/night), roll up/down = zoom.

2) Ratchet on/off on mouse wheel. Very nice for non-gaming. Once you use a free-rotating wheel in the OS, you will not want to go back. Unfortunately I think the switch for the G500s is on the underside - if you can afford it I would recommend a G700s.

Edited by evilC, 03 June 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#7 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostevilC, on 03 June 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

2) Ratchet on/off on mouse wheel. Very nice for non-gaming. Once you use a free-rotating wheel in the OS, you will not want to go back. Unfortunately I think the switch for the G500s is on the underside - if you can afford it I would recommend a G700s.

It's rite behind the wheel on the top on my 500. it really sucks when you mash it in the midst of battle but great for browsing ;)

#8 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I recently got a corsair M95. It took me some fiddling to get it figured out, but it's got plenty of buttons for mapping everything all on the mouse, I'd highly recommend it. As far as the brand, it has very solid build quality and powerful software. The only gripe i have is that it's a little lighter than I'd like with no way to adjust the weight like other mice.

#9 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, ended up pulling the trigger on the G500s (found one for £30!). Then found out about the G502 -.-

Ah well, that'll be a nice present to myself come Christmas :)

Once again, thanks for the input!

#10 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

I know I shouldn't double post but...

Wow. If you're on the fence about buying a gaming mouse, get the hell off the fence and open your wallet/purse.
Even without the extra buttons (no more finger-twister!) the increased accuracy is simply sublime. Previously I'd be struggling to hit a single component in various lights. Now that is a thing of the past. It's given me the confidence to solo anything slower than 85kph.

Simply fantastic, one of the best investments you can make for gaming.

#11 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

I have a Corsair M90 and a Logitech G700. They have similar ergonomics and sensors to the mice you're looking at. The software packages are also the same. I'm much happier with the Logitech offering. The ergonomics, pointer accuracy, software options and stability put the Corsair to shame. That said, the Corsair is still good. I actually use it at work now. It's just that the Logitech is better in every way!

#12 Gerhardt Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

I had the Corsair mouse - I did not like where the side buttons were located. I now use a Razer Naga Hex, and it is set up perfectly for MechWarrior; it gives you six side buttons (some of them are more ergonomic than others), which lets you set up primary weapons groups to the left/right mouse button and secondary/tertiary groups to the side buttons.

#13 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

I bought the Mionix Naios 8200 based on someone else's recommendation in another mouse thread here. I like the shape for a palm-grip mouse. It has a nice weight. The button locations are good--there are only 4 main buttons plus the scroll wheel and 2 DPI adjustment buttons. I don't miss the pinkie buttons. It's plug 'n play with a decent software package available on the website.

#14 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

I just replaced my G400 with the M65. The corsair is a good mouse, but does not slide as easy on my pad as the Logitech did. Corsair seems well built, better than Logitech. Either would be good, but I miss the "feel" of the Logitech.

#15 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Just picked up a G502. Nothing but great things to say about it.
Love the buttons (super useful for MWO) love both scroll types, tracking feels great (added 3/5 weights to it) and it's comfortable. Oddly enough, even thought I'd never advocate buying from them, I went to Best Buy and it was super helpful. The one by me has a full aisle dedicated to PC gaming with mice & keyboards to test out. That's what sold me on the 502 (which I promptly went and bought from Newegg ;) )

#16 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hey G500 users. I need help. I cannot get keymapping to recognize more than 4 buttons (1,2 , 5, 4) As to the thumb buttons, 5 and the flat button with a line are both mapped to 5, and the back button, 4. The scroll click maps to 3, but, it works at number 2 and creates zoom problems.

HELP

#17 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Yeah the software for your mouse does not install by itself, get it here: http://www.logitech....&bit=64&osid=14

I had same issue, after installing that software you can configure just about any setting you can think of tweaking.

#18 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

So I have done that part. I installed the software, went in, it appears to be configured correctly, is there some trick to the configuration that works best for MWO? I can configure it to work in windows, but not in MWO. When I try to map buttons it doesn't confirm anything... I apologize, I seem to have become computer illiterate these days - to much deskjob, not enough time for fun. (Definitely appreciate your help!)

#19 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

the logitech software is to change the functions of the mouse buttons that wont register in mwo. once you change non registering buttons to functions that do register in mwo, set them to do what you want in MWO client options. To do zoom and vision mode stuff with mouse wheel needs modified user.cfg and for me using the keyboard for such funtions is easier with keyboard than mwheel (contrary to what most ppl seem to like) therefore, search for the numerous threads on setting such funtions through user.cfg, if you want them.

#20 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Great thank! I'll look into it. I also discovered my mouse was defective so I got a G502, muchhhh better!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users