How Long Have You Been a Part of the Battletech Universe?

197 replies to this topic

Poll: Years Involved In the Battletech Universe (533 member(s) have cast votes)

I've Been Playing.....

1. Under a year (11 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

2. 1-5 years (15 votes [2.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

3. Voted 6-10 years (32 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

4. Voted 11-15 years (131 votes [24.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.58%

5. 16-20 years (124 votes [23.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

6. Voted 21 or more years (220 votes [41.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I remember one of my D&D buddies calling me to come over and check out this new game he had picked up. I was 19? at the time. I went over and he showed me this book with this massive skull faced robot firing a laser off the edge of the book cover. The top of the book read "Battletech Manual". At the bottom was written "The Rules of Warfare". We made up a couple of Mechs using the rules detailed in the book and started blowing each other up. I think we played that first time for about seven hours before we realized what time it was. After that we started playing every week.

That was 1987, so I guess that puts me in at around 24 years.

Edited by Derick Cruisaire, 03 January 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#162 Volume

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I can't believe Mechwarrior 2 came out in 1995. I played a demo of it on a CD mailed to one of my dad's friends who subscribed to PC gamer magazine. I guess that means 16 years.

Jesus...

#163 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

early 80's at Ft Hood.

#164 Supremacist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

1998ish MPBT

#165 Canned_Dman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

WOW I am inmpressed byt the amount of BT vets there are! I am pushing 25 myself.

#166 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

well this thread really got me to thinking so I dug into my closet and pulled out all the old Battletech archive.... wow was I surprised! There was a bunch of stuff that I forgot I even had. And apparently had been playing tabletop for alot longer than I remembered. Wow I am old. haha

#167 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostNigel the Fist, on 02 January 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

I was given the Cresent Hawks Inception on PC - was my first taste. I bought a pack that had Both cresent hawks games and the first mechwarrior which we played on a 386 sx system. I remember reading about MW2 and I bought a 486DX2-66 to play it on ( and to school&uni stuff) but MW2 got delayed heaps, when it was finally released the 486 struggled a bit. I enjoyed Mech Comander & MC2, and MW3 & MW4. I guess giant robots with giant guns never get old! I wish the same could be said for me - I turn 37 next month! I'm looking forward to playing MW with my kids!

I found the manual to that first MW game in my box of Battletech... it's like a museum in there.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#168 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 03 January 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Let's see...

Over 20 years, that's for sure. I was in high school when someone in our gaming group bought the Battletech box set. Which was pretty cool, since so many of them were based on Robotech, which I had been a huge fan of.

Then I saw there were Battletech novels, and I've been hooked ever since.

*digs out novels*

My oldest ones are "Decision at Thunder Rift" and "The Sword and the Dagger," and I'm pretty sure I bought them at the same time, so that would make it 1987. So 24 years.

Wow.

I also dug out the novels from storage... These are the first printing with the original cover artwork for the Warrior Trilogy and the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy. I also have that first Decision at Thunder Rift, but I think there are books in that GDL series that I have not read. I think I picked all these up at a used book store only a few years ago. I also bought armloads of BT books from a .50cent bin I couldn't help myself... LOL

Posted Image

Posted Image

let's go on a magical flashback! more pics later

#169 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Oh, yeah... the original Mechwarrior. I loved that game. I won the game by being a 'Mech merchant: bought mechs near the core, moved to the periphery, and sold 'Mechs at a huge prophet. Once I had enough money, I bought four Battlemasters, a few heavies and mediums, and a Locust and tracked down the McGuffin of the game, hired pilots, and did missions to raise my repuptation and increase my pilot's skills.

My love of light 'Mechs game from that game. I favored the Locust for strike and defense missions, because I circle around the battlefield while the Battlemasters took on the enemy mechs, and either blow up the objective or take potshots from behind. Good times ^_^

#170 Grimm Liberty

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationHuber Heights, Ohio, USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

*incoming trasmission*
1) We of the Inner Sphere were the First.
2) I was aboard TAS Pathfinder.
3) That is all.
*transmission ends*

#171 John Pryde

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

I started playing with the original MW2 and MW2 Merc , left the game for a while , read tracked down most of the original Battletech books, picked up with MW3 and got my but kicked a bit before understanding lag shooting (the lovely days of kilobit modems) .. Joined the European Clan Jade Falcon's (what can I say MW2 and all that) ..MW4 changed everything I played with the US CJF's for a while but a young family..real life ect got in the way and I left the game ..kept up with the books but I did not like the jump in the time line etc so I left... I now have a goof Job , a new relationship ..love cycling keeping fit and don't want to chase the graphics card with FPS games ..or spend my life grinding in a Wow type thing so ..I was looking on the net after work and I saw this ..I am getting my first non Mac/work pc in a month or so ..and this looks like I get to live my early 20's again! But as their are no clans I shall have to play as a lone wolf until I meet some friends who have a faction or merc unit affiliation. I probably would not suit a clan anymore anyway Games are for fun and I have axe to grind , ego to massage ..and I dont want to play dictator games ...so bring on the new mech world! and hope to meet you all in the land of PPC 's lasers and Guase rifles!

#172 Zulu Uppercut

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Jeepers.....
I feel old - I remember when CityTech came out.

#173 SoulReaver DA

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOlympia Washington

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

Got my first taste of BT and MW in 1990.
Board game and books. Still have a plastic minature mech somewhere I'll see if I can find it and post it up here.
Battle Tech for pc where you had to find the comstar stash, fight in the arenas, and it was a turn based game. lol start out in a damn chamelion!
Then Mechwarrior for the 486 I think. You got to pilot a Warrhammer in that one.
Then MW2 to include CGB expansion.
The first Mercinaries MW2
MW3
MW4 Vengance, Black Knight, Mercinaries, Clan pack, Inner sphere pack, Mektek pack.....

I still go back and play MW3 an 4 standalone campaignes. Though the AI hasn't matured in gameplay like I have. IE, the AI is no contest. Lmao!

Edited by SoulReaver DA, 07 January 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#174 sheradin

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationPa

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

I started playing when I was about 23 am 47 now started with the orginal fasa frist adtion one of my fav meches is the panther and when i could I would choose comstar

#175 PsychoTurtle

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationDana Point, CA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Started with MPBT: Solaris on GameStorm, and only been able to play a few of the games since, but the lore is probably my favorite of any "universe" out there.

#176 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wow I feel young. I got into the novel series starting when I was nine with the Jade Falcon trilogy.
Been a decade since then.

So yea...

#177 cat97628

• Pip
  • Command Sergeant-Major
  • Command Sergeant-Major
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

I got in when I was about 12 back in 86'. I remember the older high school kids playing with the bigger models at the time before the minis came out. The guy at the shop told my Dad all you need to play the game is this box set. Well God only know how much money and time I have spent in this universe, every box set, 100 plus minis, every computer game. It has made for some very found memories in my childhood and I can not wait for the release of the next edition.

#178 Xake

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationThe Rift (MICHIGAN)

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Me and my friend were used as stand ins for players that didn't show when we were 14. That was back in the mid 80's. I have been in love with it ever since.

#179 Virgil Caine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

I was in 7th Grade. Which was like eons ago. Musta been about 12. It actually does make it more like 20 years+. Being 32 now.

#180 Johnjay Haawk

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Since cardboard cut out mechs were a good idea. Since the 2750 tech book was hot stuff. Since before Harmony Gold were selfish *****. I'm sorry, was that last part out loud. Since the Battletech universe still had the Stinger, Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Rifleman, Crusader, Ostroc, Ostol, Archer, Marauder, Warhammer, Bttlemaster, MKII, oh wait. Not the MKII! You all get my point.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users