3 replies to this topic

#1 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

This video provides a look and the energy weapons available to Inner Sphere BattleMechs in Mechwarrior Online.Let me know if there is a tutorial you'd like to see or if you have a question.

#2 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Good BrawlWarrior: Online tutorial.

#3 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Nice job Spike Brave! Great info. Gave me something to think about. I just pay my Mechs with the weapons that they have on them when you get them. I might have to start playing with the loadouts now B)

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

The issue you had where the Flamer didn't get hot is that it's actually very cold, but there's a mechanic called Heat Retention (which applies on some energy weapons; mostly lasers) that as you keep firing it non-stop, it multiplies the heat until it becomes pretty exponentially high (climbing 20% per second was the highest I got it). Test it. Take any mech no matter how many heatsinks and hold down the flamer. Eventually it gets hot pretty fast and then even with 31 DHS (Clan mech), a single flamer can and will cook and kill your own mech. (Took about a minute and 15 seconds).

Stop this (and almost all heat increases) by chain firing though it significantly reduces their effectiveness. It comes at the cost of reducing your cooling rate. Example: Short. Long.

Heat retention is like the ghost heat before ghost heat, though a bit more logical in the concept (the accumulation of residual heat). Smurfy acknowledges its existence, but last I mentioned it, Smurfy could not find a simplified way to explain it or its effect. The advent of the Battlemaster hero and its quirk, however, might shed some light on it. I'll have to find out when its 50% off sale comes along and I get a Flamer Battlemaster rig going on it.

On to lasers:
This is old, but it's the "Sampler," which fires all of the many different kinds of standard and pulse Inner Sphere lasers.
No voices, just music and visual comparisons to kind of demonstrate what the difference is. Lots of firing both the standard and pulse versions of each laser class together. It's good for comparing firing rates, as clearly the pulse lasers have both shorter beam times (doing more damage in less time) and fire more frequently in exchange for their higher tonnage and higher heat.

Edited by Koniving, 10 August 2014 - 05:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users