Starter Mech?

116 replies to this topic

Poll: The Beginners mech (392 member(s) have cast votes)

What weight of Mech should people start off with?

1. Light (138 votes [35.20%])

Percentage of vote: 35.20%

2. Medium (50 votes [12.76%])

Percentage of vote: 12.76%

3. Heavy (4 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

4. Assault (7 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

5. Medium or under (125 votes [31.89%])

Percentage of vote: 31.89%

6. Heavy or under (15 votes [3.83%])

Percentage of vote: 3.83%

7. Assault or under (53 votes [13.52%])

Percentage of vote: 13.52%

Should there be a choice of mech to begin with?

1. Complete choice (38 votes [9.69%])

Percentage of vote: 9.69%

2. No choice (11 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

3. A small selection dependant on role type (85 votes [21.68%])

Percentage of vote: 21.68%

4. House/Faction specific (208 votes [53.06%])

Percentage of vote: 53.06%

5. General small selection (33 votes [8.42%])

Percentage of vote: 8.42%

6. Good selection (17 votes [4.34%])

Percentage of vote: 4.34%

How many free mechs should you start off with?

1. Just the one (198 votes [50.51%])

Percentage of vote: 50.51%

2. None at all (7 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

3. One per role type (60 votes [15.31%])

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

4. A small selection (61 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. A large selection (6 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

6. Multiple per role type (5 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

7. One per faction (19 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

8. One per weight class (20 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

9. Multiple per faction (6 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

10. Multiple per weight class (10 votes [2.55%])

Percentage of vote: 2.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

*Searched for a thread like this and was surprised I found none*

Well I thought it be interesting to get everyone's exact opinions on the mech you should start out with (if any) since in most mechwarrior games you tend to start out with a medium or light mech. What would you think would be fair, balanced, and won't leave people irritated cause they don't have anything to play with the big boys?

I've put a few options up so people can choose an answer that most closely reflects their opinions.

*QUICK DISCLAIMER*

Yeah got some feedback in this thread that dev's have already said whats happening in regards to question one in this poll. Its no worries, this is just an opinion poll and shouldn't be taken as if this a dev Q&A. Its an unofficial survey of opinions. :)

Edited by Strayed, 19 November 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#2 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

It has been confirmed that you can start in any class of 'Mech, up to and including Assault 'mechs.

The better question would be what the starters are for each class in each faction?

#3 Jake Steel

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

I think for balance it should be light.

I luv faction specific otherwise why do you choose a faction anyway?

For amount i think it should be a challenge to get your mechs but you still need a mech so 1 starter mech.

#4 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

I think we should be able to pick whatever size mech we want, be it a big bad assault mech,or light fast bandit. Especially given that the Devs have said over and over and over that they are specifically making it so that bigger mech =/= better mech. Your assault might have a lot of guns, but you might find yourself alone in a fight against a lance of lights who can outmaneuver you like no one's business.

In terms of which mechs we should be able to choose, I went with "house specific" because it's closest to what I think should be available. I think you should have something like, just pulling numbers out of the air, if you had 3 mechs available to pick from 1 of them should be ones available to any house (probably from the unseen), 1 common to your house and it's most common rivals (so likely to have been salvaged), and 1 exclusive to your faction.

So say you're starting as a Lyran in an assault mech, your general option might be Battlemaster you "salvaged" option might be a Mauler, and your faction specific one might be a Zeus. (if you wanted to go with the Scout option :))

But I do think we should start with 1 mech. Pre-clan, especially pre-clan mercs, most mechs were inherited from your parents, or salvaged from the battlefield after you had lost your inherited mech.

#5 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

I think at start you should be able to pick 2-3 faction specific 'Mechs, and if you lose those and can't afford replacements, common 'Mechs are what are available to you, provided by your House of alignment as part of some House specific contract.

#6 Uncl Munkeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

I would hope for options in the small mech class to start with. Even if they are house owned...

It depends a lot on the monetary system and the battle system.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Strayed. The first part of your pool doesn't have any meaning. Devs already said we will choose which class to start with, so no additional discussion there. :)

Edited by Adridos, 19 November 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#8 Kresten Youngblood

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I think that the one mech that we use when we start could be broken down. Example of my assault mech is worn and it costs me more to repair the wrech because of the way it has been handled, where the light mech i have is brand spanken new that i t still has the smell of the driver who my parents bought/ stole it from.
Regaurdless as long as we get blow up other mechs, IM JUST HAPPY!:)

#9 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 19 November 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

It has been confirmed that you can start in any class of 'Mech, up to and including Assault 'mechs.

The better question would be what the starters are for each class in each faction?

View PostAdridos, on 19 November 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Strayed. The first part of your pool, doesn't have any meaning. Devs already said we will choose which class to start with, so no additional discussion there. :D

Yeah I noticed that, just rephrase it to what you'd like, its more about opinions anyway. Devs will most likely do their own thing anyway cause you need to think of mech balance. This whole topic really ain't meant to have much meaning :)

#10 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Well the devs said you can start with assaults but maybe they mean only if you pay real money? So we can still have fun and speculate anyway :)

#11 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

For my money, I would think everyone begins in a single 'Mech, only one, and that will bring folks to pause before committing foolishly to combat they are unsure they will be able to win or not. Oh, and the Lance of Light 'Mechs mentioned earlier taking on an Assault 'Mech, that's all fine and good unless you're facing a live-pilot that can ring one of your Lance-mates bells pretty well, taking them out of the game... and then they were three.

I think combat will be less about daring-do and more about tactics, terrain, and thinkin' when the game first releases, supposing the devs will reset from beta, until the factions get themselves together, have a stable of extra 'Mechs and/or pilots will be able to build their own stable of salvage and/or 'Mechs.

#12 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

If everyone starts in an Assault mechs whats to keep people from staying in an Assault? Why would anyone go lower?

#13 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Most probably you have a few base mechs that you will get as a starter. Maybe 3 lights and a Medium. But of course if you sold em all to fund your assault and lose it, that is your problem.

Gonna be dispossessed until a merc / house unit picks you up and put you into a mech of their choice.

#14 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

You should start with a single mech of your choice from a small selection of generally available IS mechs. 2 mechs from each weight class should be sufficiant, that would give you a total of 8 mechs to choose from. If they would be outfitted for different roles one could have anything in there he could wish for at game start.
The choice should be something like this:
One light striker and one light recon mech
One medium recon and one medium combat oriented mech.
One heavy brawler and one fire support mech.
One command mech (armor and support weapons) or assault brawler (mostly raw firepower and mobility)

#15 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Perhaps something like Call of Duty - you start off with a small number of 'Mechs available, light through assault, but as you gain rank for your respective faction more effective designs are unlocked. A Kuritan player might start out being able to choose from a Jenner, Witworth, Dragon and Dobuku, then his next rank up he might unlock the Panther chassis, rank after that a K2 Catapult, rank after that a Hatamoto-Chi, ect.

People like the working towards a goal in online games like that. Though the starter 'Mechs will have to be reasonably effective or else new players stuck piloting say, a Charger will get their butts handed to them by veterans who not only have more experience playing the game they've also got an awesome 'Mech like say, an Awesome and not want to play.

Edited by DocBach, 19 November 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#16 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 19 November 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

You should start with a single mech of your choice from a small selection of generally available IS mechs. 2 mechs from each weight class should be sufficiant, that would give you a total of 8 mechs to choose from. If they would be outfitted for different roles one could have anything in there he could wish for at game start.
The choice should be something like this:
One light striker and one light recon mech
One medium recon and one medium combat oriented mech.
One heavy brawler and one fire support mech.
One command mech (armor and support weapons) or assault brawler (mostly raw firepower and mobility)

But how would that work ?
Assuming the person is going for a "power build" and is light mech specced in Real Life (not ingame), he can take the assault and sell em off to better pimp his lights or just keep the chump change till he needs to upgrade his light mechs.

A person who opt for 1 medium and 1 light can't possibly do that.

#17 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

I'd say.... house-specific front line 'mech, medium preferably. And just the one 'mech to start off with.

A mercenary gets to pick from one from the general light 'mechs of the IS which aren't faction specific, representing them purchasing these 'mechs with their own money or inheriting them from their family-- instead of being issued one as with a house warrior.

Edited by Melissia, 19 November 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#18 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'd like to see you able to choose one of each weight class from a basic list of general and faction specific mechs (all at 3025 level tech, no variants)-- with the addendum that each has a solid description of what the mech is and what role/s on the battlefield it is best suited for put in terms that even the rawest recruit could understand. These mechs cannot be sold and either take up no space or can be gotten rid of for no cost.

#19 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

First you choose your faction , then maybe you choose your role say scout, then maybe you get a choose of three mech depending on your role and faction. IE scout with steiner as your house you would maybe have zeus,wolfhound,griffin. Kind of agree with having one common mech one faction mech and one salvage mech fro your enemies for your choice I would add in the role you hose to play into that formula.

My one concern is I play merc always. I wouldn't like to be a house unit to die on the whim of liao or kurita to just check on how davion or steiner responce.

Show me the money and watch me work.
Long lice the mercenary.

#20 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Starter assault mech = Charger (trololololo)

:)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users