#61 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostAlreech, on 14 August 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

You are right, and it's all your fault.

If you want to enjoy this game, than you have to join a Players Unit, so what you can drop in a big Group, use Teamspeak and can match your Mech Weapons with the Mechbuilds of the other players in your group.
Teamwork, Communication, Coordination an Tactic are the key elements that make MWO enjoyable, and you won't have those things without joining a Unit.

If you don't want to play in a Player Unit, this is not the right game for you, try Hawken or Titan Fall.

Yea, that must be why the solo queue is such a deadzone. Ohwait.

I've never joined a unit or gone on TS or any of that stuff, it just isn't for me, and I have plenty of fun. Yes, the solo queue loses some things to the group queue such as strong communication and coordination, but it also gains things the group queue lacks - most notably, match diversity. The group queue will always be dominated by the established meta mechs and best strategies for each map, whereas the solo queue sees less meta builds and different plays on (some) maps.

I'm not saying all group matches are the same, and I'm not saying all solo matches aren't (goddamn Alpine...), I'm saying that the solo queue can provide a unique experience and that experience can be a blast. Really annoys me when people insist that you MUST group up and you MUST go on TS and you MUST do 100 other things to enjoy this game, it simply isn't true and it's a big turnoff to a lot of players (new players especially) that simply don't go in for that sort of thing.

/rant

#62 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostHeydiddly, on 14 August 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Really annoys me when people insist that you MUST group up and you MUST go on TS and you MUST do 100 other things to enjoy this game, it simply isn't true and it's a big turnoff to a lot of players (new players especially) that simply don't go in for that sort of thing.

I agree.

The biggest x factor is what enjoyment is to the player. If winning is how you enjoy the game then Alreech is right, you will have more enjoyment in groups, but solo q can be a blast for the reasons you stated while being a less stressful experience.

Edited by Roughneck45, 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#63 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 August 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

There are two queues. Solo queue and group queue.
Every screenshot I'm seeing is in the group queue, against groups of 2 to 10 people PER GROUP all on voice comms, very organized, it's a comparison of fighting kids handed guns without any instructions (solo queue) to a fully fleshed out organized force with a command structure and the military hardware to kill you without even having to see you.

Play solo for a little while. Your luck will Drastically change.

In a group queue if you have fewer than 3 people, it's not worth trying. (Unfortunate but true). This was my luck with 4 people. Me and Lordred had a final stand 2 against 6. That was not easy, especially considering he had a single heatsink Awesome with 3 PPCs and less than 250 armor (as his full armor) with an XL 210 engine. Myself, I had a Warhawk with 2 ER LL (freaking worthless now), 2 ER ML, and 4 LRM-10s against enemies that were mostly ECM lights with sniper lasers of death.
Posted Image

Goddamn spiders man.. >.<

On the other hand, this was my most recent solo match.
Posted Image
I do well because I know what I'm doing, which is a skill I developed playing regular matches. Once you go into a group queue, only the meta prevails. The best, most overpowered, most ridiculous weapons in the worst sort of balancing will prevail. We call it "hell."

Avoid it. And maybe some day PGI will let us into the solo queue with 1 friend so that the game will still be kinda fun.

I still tout my solution to them: Solo Queue, "Lance" Queue, "Company" Queue. Solo players can opt into the Lance queue and 4mans can opt into the Company queue. To add flexibility allow groups of 8 or larger to drop short against other groups of similar size. Now you can have groups of 11. Tada!

#64 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

It's not only winning, it's also playing the game as a tactic shooter.
You know, make a plan, play in a team, ect...

At the moment there is no teamplay and tactic besides "stay with the blob" in the solo queue, and PGI won't change it.
So you play alone with 11 other players against 12 disorganized players on the other side, and this kind of gameplay is in Hawken or Titan Fall more fun than in MWO.

#65 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

My record is 29 losses in row,almost all stomps,motivation breaking for sure,but it happens sometimes.
There is a limit how much one mech can carry a team.

#66 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostHeydiddly, on 14 August 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

I've never joined a unit or gone on TS or any of that stuff, it just isn't for me, and I have plenty of fun. Yes, the solo queue loses some things to the group queue such as strong communication and coordination, but it also gains things the group queue lacks - most notably, match diversity. The group queue will always be dominated by the established meta mechs and best strategies for each map, whereas the solo queue sees less meta builds and different plays on (some) maps.

I'm not saying all group matches are the same, and I'm not saying all solo matches aren't (goddamn Alpine...), I'm saying that the solo queue can provide a unique experience and that experience can be a blast. Really annoys me when people insist that you MUST group up and you MUST go on TS and you MUST do 100 other things to enjoy this game, it simply isn't true and it's a big turnoff to a lot of players (new players especially) that simply don't go in for that sort of thing.

I've joined TS because I have no friends that want to play this game with me and I hate playing all alone by myself.

And about the "you MUST do"s, all my 'Mech are the furthest away from the Meta people are usually willing to go. In fact, some of my builds use stock designs in one way or another. I play alongside people with the wierdest builds, some cheesetastic madman-designs, or simply put whatever they like and what they feel comfortable with.

I'm seeing "true Meta" considerably less in the group queue then it is made out to be. I've seen everything from straigt up horrible designs to crazy enough to actually work insano builds and playing against those is fun, because you never know what to expect. I even did considerably less horrible then expected in a stock Stalker 3H. So unexpectedly well in fact I never did anything else but upgrade it to DHS and put the saved tonnage to good use (It's doing amazingly well).

#67 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostEstrous, on 14 August 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

Just look at my stats page, .57 k/d ratio, 40% win ratio, what gives? I would also like to note I've seen a screen like this for my side once, it was nice to see but made me wonder how we won so amazingly. Is this game's match making really so awful?

I am trying my best to learn but this game is so amazingly difficult, and I am met with a much greater amount of pain than pleasure. Of my 10 friends who have tried this game, all but one has quit due to it being much too difficult and the extreme loss after loss was just too much for them to handle. The only time I live in my matches is when I hide, but by hiding I'm not helping but at this rate I don't think it matters. I die before I even get a chance to fire on an enemy mech.

I see, at least from those screens, that you're trying the trial Shadow Hawk and Spider. The main reason those two die quickly is that they have XL engines, so you can't drop side torsos without becoming dead.

Try the trial Cataphract; it uses a standard engine for extra resilience, and a decent arsenal built around two large lasers and LBX-10. Its ammo (three tons = 45 shots) are all in your CT and head, so they're not going to be crit out unless you're already about to die.

Watching youtube videos can help you pick up some ideas about how to better your game; Koniving and SideStrafe are rather good for learning, while TheB33f shows off how hilarious the game can be sometimes.

And trust me - it takes time. I've had over 1500 drops (all but three solo-queue,) and I've finally pushed up to a 0.70 KDR (and almost parity on win/loss); these were hard climbs up from where you are now. Stick with it, and you'll "get good" in good time. :D

#68 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

ok I want to jump in with some advice. leave mwo. don't play. instead buy all the old mw2 titels. grafics will not be what you want. don't focus on that. play them right thru till the end of every game. word of warning tho. its not a dumbed down version of todays games. after playing them all. come back here get in the saddle again. and then tell me this game is hard. and rember ALL mech warrior games have a steep learning curve. I wish you good luck.

#69 greytiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSF bay area

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostAsheron Realaidain, on 14 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Your bottom screenshot shows 00ohdstruct with one kill and the enemy team is all alive.

?

And quite a few assists.

#70 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 August 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I've joined TS because I have no friends that want to play this game with me and I hate playing all alone by myself.

And about the "you MUST do"s, all my 'Mech are the furthest away from the Meta people are usually willing to go. In fact, some of my builds use stock designs in one way or another. I play alongside people with the wierdest builds, some cheesetastic madman-designs, or simply put whatever they like and what they feel comfortable with.

I'm seeing "true Meta" considerably less in the group queue then it is made out to be. I've seen everything from straigt up horrible designs to crazy enough to actually work insano builds and playing against those is fun, because you never know what to expect. I even did considerably less horrible then expected in a stock Stalker 3H. So unexpectedly well in fact I never did anything else but upgrade it to DHS and put the saved tonnage to good use (It's doing amazingly well).

That's fantastic, it really is about whatever floats your boat! :D

I definitely wasn't trying to suggest that everyone uses meta builds, or even that most people do, I meant dominant in the sense that 4 meta builds are likely to crush 6 "casual" builds pretty convincingly most of the time, so whoever has more will usually win. If you're happy and able to fly in the face of that, all the better, I'm glad you enjoy it.

As far as the amount of meta builds in there, I must confess I'm going mostly on the general consensus of what I've read on the forums. I almost exclusively solo queue, and when I don't I'm in a 2-man, which is B-R-U-T-A-L (sorry OP)!

Edited by Heydiddly, 14 August 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#71 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Estrous, something that I was noticing in your screen shoots, is that you seem to be doing better with medium weight mechs over the lights, perhaps you are meant to be a medium weight pilot, rather than the lights?

I for one, am admittedly a horrible assault pilot, something that was driven home with me and the 732 series Highlander, yet my Dragon 1c, I'm getting into the 200-500 damage bracket now, after close to 150 games in now.

Anyways, it's just some food for thought. :D

Also feel free to look for me, I'll drop with ya if I'm on.

#72 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostHeydiddly, on 14 August 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

As far as the amount of meta builds in there, I must confess I'm going mostly on the general consensus of what I've read on the forums. I almost exclusively solo queue, and when I don't I'm in a 2-man, which is B-R-U-T-A-L (sorry OP)!

Yeah, it can get pretty rough on a 2-man, but playing with 4 and above people can be really fun, despite being more difficult. We even had a few games where everyone of us took his worst missile boat for a few troll matches (mine was a LRM40 Griffin 3M). If you can find people to enjoy even the worst matches with, the game will improve a lot in the fun department.

#73 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

LRM40 Griffin 3M???? Whoof! That thing must have only a half dozen shots no armor and move slower than molasses in January running uphill!

:D

30's good though.

edit::: I just put together one. :wacko:

It's... wow... it's..... :wacko: :o

Tha's messed up right there!

Edited by Kjudoon, 14 August 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#74 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 August 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah, it can get pretty rough on a 2-man, but playing with 4 and above people can be really fun, despite being more difficult. We even had a few games where everyone of us took his worst missile boat for a few troll matches (mine was a LRM40 Griffin 3M). If you can find people to enjoy even the worst matches with, the game will improve a lot in the fun department.

Ha, nice. I know what you mean, I prefer playing games with friends regardless of how well it goes, I just usually prefer friends I know for real, at least where voice comms are concerned.

To be fair though, if ever there was a game where I might consider jumping on TS with a bunch of strangers, it would probably be MWO, on account of the community here being BY FAR the most mature I've ever come across. Never say never, I guess.

Edited by Heydiddly, 14 August 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#75 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 14 August 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

edit::: I just put together one. :wacko:

It's... wow... it's..... :wacko: :o

Tha's messed up right there!

For those who are interested, here it is in all it's cheesy glory :D

#76 _NARCoMAN_

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 August 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

For those who are interested, here it is in all it's cheesy glory :D

#77 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostAlreech, on 14 August 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

At the moment there is no teamplay and tactic besides "stay with the blob" in the solo queue, and PGI won't change it.

More like PGI can't change it. Its just how a lot of people will behave when they have doubts. In a solo queue, you have no reason to have confidence in other players, so you make assumptions, and those assumptions effect how you play. This is the greatest weakness of solo matchmaking - a lack of confidence. If you play 12 v 12, in any competitive game at all, with one person you have familiarity with, are communicating with, and have some understanding and trust in the capabilities, even if you both generally suck in solo, you'll see significant improvement in your gameplay. The only reason the OP is having trouble is the group v group matchmaking - naturally a team composed of three groups of four players will stomp a team composed of six groups of two players, not to mention the skill disparity of being new to the game.

Personally, I avoid rolling in groups, but thats because I've mostly only have had negative experiences with them, usually ending with a few people being jerks and other internet drama that I wish not to associate with. If you can find a few people to roll with though, after you find your feet in this game, you'll be golden.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 14 August 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#78 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,746 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostHeydiddly, on 14 August 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Ha, nice. I know what you mean, I prefer playing games with friends regardless of how well it goes, I just usually prefer friends I know for real, at least where voice comms are concerned.

To be fair though, if ever there was a game where I might consider jumping on TS with a bunch of strangers, it would probably be MWO, on account of the community here being BY FAR the most mature I've ever come across. Never say never, I guess.

As long as CW (Community Warfare) does not become vaporware, I can see this happening more often than not. The only thing that needs to improve is the chat UI behavior, it needs to be made manageable and movable. The text needs to have a time stamp and not fade away, as well as allow one to separate chat/updates.

#79 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostEstrous, on 14 August 2014 - 04:45 AM, said:

That's cool and all, but isn't it asking a bit much of a player to play up to a 100 matches to just start to get decent? Another thread I posted in someone quoted me about 1000 matches to start getting good.

That is many, many complete months solid of game time, like over a year of daily play of many matches each day or about 3 matches everyday of an entire year. That is craaaazy!

100 matches you will understand where everything is, you can avoid the LRM and see all the chassis and figure out all the weapons and make your good loadout

nah, 300 matches you will get into the game good! you will be blasting other people.

it's not so long 2-3 months 100 matches per month you can do it.

the game is like this because once 4 of the 12 on your team are gone, it is a landslide effect, you understand? it snowballs out of control

sometimes 3 or 4 guys on your team don't know how to play and it ends up 8vs12 which is really hard to come back from.

this game is really hard. but you have to stop and think after every match why you lost, in this game getting the 0.01% advantage can go a long way, and that means making your build perfect for you, use the arm lock off with alpha to the torso when you have to, which mechs to leg and which to shoot head on, etc

by the way it will be worse for all of you noobs if you play together - NEVER play with other noobs unless it is a private match (for premium time) you are screwing over your team if you bring 4 newbs because of the snowball effect i just mentioned;
it is a disservice to you and everyone else if you form a newb team and go to team queue without understanding the game, this is TEAM game, and it is recommended you understand how to play in the solo queue where the enemy is less coordinated

#80 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

something else you must remember, most vets have been playing MechWarrior games for years.they know how to play even if they are new to this game. in mech warrior 4 they could headshot you from 700 meters out. now those same peeps are playing here. and they are getting better everyday here too. practice practice. is all that helps

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users