#161 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

View Postzaepp, on 19 August 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

I don't even come up with such ideas. But losing 200 matches in a row, is that even possible? And since nobody knows actual Elo and matchmakers prediction you wouldn't even know if you had really decreased your Elo.

So,I don't think so.

But yes, there are always people who exploit the system, whichever system you have.

It is possible... And we have seen fishy stuff like unknowns being at the top.

#162 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

Landed at 107 for clan assaults, not bad I guess. I could have done better had I not had a lot going on this weekend and the desyncs+client crashes weren't so common. I got caught in the middle of a fire storm with multiple reds coming at me several times and either had a momentary lag where I ended up dead once it resynced or the client crashed altogether and by the time I could rejoin I was dead. I probably got about 20 matches in total after switching from the IS side to get that free mechbay.

The scoring system probably needs some tweaking. I think kills are being weighted a little too heavily, considering literally every person on the team could feasibly get a shot in at a guy, but the one lucky guy that shoots last gets 5 times the credit. I think 3x or 4x is more logical. I think team damage should be weighted heavier, too, to discourage just shooting in the general vicinity from a distance without bothering to avoid your teammate who may be brawling with an enemy. Maybe a 1.5x or 2x multiplier for that? Then wins and losses... wins worth 4x as much as a loss? I was the guy that a few times did top damage on my team by a decent margin, so maybe I'm a little biased in saying that the guy getting 3 out of 4 kills in a stomp with 200 more dmg than any other player on the team kind of sucks. Every ounce of the scoring system weights the single player who gets most lucky against every other player, and then one random part of scoring weights the team as a whole. Kind of wonky. Maybe a 12.5x multiplier for wins (or 2.5x the multiplier for losses) would make more sense.

Edited by xWiredx, 19 August 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#163 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

The Leaderboard already rewards damage/kill inefficiency - no need for further rewards.

Edited by Thorqemada, 19 August 2014 - 05:17 AM.

#164 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostShinVector, on 19 August 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

It is possible... And we have seen fishy stuff like unknowns being at the top.

Could have been a smurf as well.

#165 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

Dat a'boy Twinky. Finished with 3025 Clan Assault score and #3 in clan lights!

#166 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

You know, its the lamest thing I've heard in a while ... And for once the lamest part is aimed towards Quebec rather than PGI.

#167 SiR SockMonkeyDonkey

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington State

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :lol:

So I have a suggestion that I know was spoken once before, but I just don't understand why it isn't being used... Why is it the best top ten out of 4 days worth of play? You can make it a fair contest by making it best 10 matches out of 100 and give us 4 days to do it? No one respects the leaders of any of these contests! All you get to brag about is that everyone knows you had more time to get a lucky match then everyone else. It would be neet if you posted the total amount of matches played for each place. It would save allot of us time knowing that if we can't pencil in 500+ matches we really don't get to compete. So the question isn't "does anyone else notice this?" everyone has been complaining since the first event... The question now is, Why don't you make a "FAIR" contest? Make a real leader board based on "SKILL" instead of being based on if you have anything else to do (familly, work, schooling) on a weekend?

#168 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

In the beginning of the tournament, like almost 2 hours after the start (which is like 110 minutes) I suddenly got weird urge to visit the scoreboard page and I found this:

Posted Image

And now this:

View PostCatra Lanis, on 19 August 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Posted Imagemwotourney by Videopac1, on Flickr

:lol:

I'm scared now. Does this mean we have to start sacrificing Commandos (baby Atlases) for the Beast?

Edited by Kamies, 19 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#169 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

Well that was fun. Was hoping to have done a little better (#21 for a bit Saturday night had me hopeful) but overall I am not unhappy with my performance I guess, all things considered. I must have seen Fire and Salt, Flyby215, Celyth, and many others on here a dozen times at least each it seems like.

Pretty much just rotated drops with my shawk-5m, shawk-2k, shawk-2d, or troll build Golden Boy. Friday night I did a couple matches each in a Cicada-3m and a shawk-2h to get the challenge bay out of the way.

Medium IS:
31 DarthPeanut 1,930

Posted Image

Going to keep at it and look forward to next time they do one of these.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 19 August 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#170 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 August 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I don't understand why the 5th place reward has been "downgraded" to "under" a mechbay.

Working as intended

#171 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Meh, I wish teamwork didn't fall apart this past weekend -- too many Rambos running around.

#172 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

AND IT'S OVER 3K! - grats Twinky :lol:

#173 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

I must be in Elo hell. I played Friday and Saturday and was able to get 4 or 5 kills a match, 400 - 500 damage easy. Last night, the final 5 hours of the tournament, I lost match after match after match. I struggled to get 1 or 2 kills per match and dropped with the likes of TwinkiOverload, Celyth, Gman129, ThePieMaker and Eglar. In fact, one of the last matchs I played Twinki killed me on River City in his DWF. Glad I could contribute to your Clan Assault win with 3025 points. That is just insane, dude. It was 2:30 AM and I just couldn't go on with the madness any longer. Congrats to the winners. :lol:

Now that the tournament is over, get me outta here! Reset my Elo, puleeeeaaaasss!?

Seriously though, I enjoyed the tournament. I wish we had more of them with different scoring just to mix it up some.

Jody

#174 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

View Postzaepp, on 19 August 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

Could have been a smurf as well.

You are right.. The dude was BLUE !

#175 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 August 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

I must be in Elo hell. I played Friday and Saturday and was able to get 4 or 5 kills a match, 400 - 500 damage easy. Last night, the final 5 hours of the tournament, I lost match after match after match. I struggled to get 1 or 2 kills per match and dropped with the likes of TwinkiOverload, Celyth, Gman129, ThePieMaker and Eglar. In fact, one of the last matchs I played Twinki killed me on River City in his DWF. Glad I could contribute to your Clan Assault win with 3025 points. That is just insane, dude. It was 2:30 AM and I just couldn't go on with the madness any longer. Congrats to the winners. :lol:

Now that the tournament is over, get me outta here! Reset my Elo, puleeeeaaaasss!?

Seriously though, I enjoyed the tournament. I wish we had more of them with different scoring just to mix it up some.

Jody

You picked the wrong bracket Jody, IS Medium was far and away the biggest group of pilots.

For the 7 categories that I dropped in 1 time (may have dropped twice in Clan Heavy by accident) plus my weak performance in IS Assault below,

rank points
IS Light 1449 116
Clan Light 1077 38
IS Medium 2274 74
Clan Medium 727 98
IS Heavy 1936 31
Clan Heavy 950 208 (If I did this in one match, good for me!)
IS Assault 298 1522 (really sad performance this weekend)
Clan Assault 888 101

#176 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 19 August 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

You picked the wrong bracket Jody, IS Medium was far and away the biggest group of pilots.

1) That makes me feel better about my score

2) I guess that's why it took forever to drop

#177 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 19 August 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

And you know whats funny, what I accomplished, I did in Blackjacks and Trebuchets. The only other class I tried was a couple drops in the IV-Four. Scored 163, rank 1507.
You know my play style, what would you recommend I try next time? I don't have a lot of other choices unless I buy some more mechs. I have those Atlas I've been playing and a set of Victors. Next to Mediums, I have more Heavies than anything else. QKD, TDR, and an Ilya.

#178 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

View Postzaepp, on 19 August 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

And I am not willing to give "good" players an edge, just because they ended up in a match full of "lesser talented players".

Yea so disable elo, whats your issue? The better player wins. That's what it's about, right? Tbh, real good players during tournaments should be roflstomping every single match with 1k+ damage and not lose a single one.

#179 MechWarrior Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

50th clan assault 2071points total game play time - 7 hours in 3 days. i know some of ppl played for 20+h

#180 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostEglar, on 19 August 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Yea so disable elo, whats your issue?

I think the issue is with people misunderstanding how the matchmaker works. Yes, it is far from perfect, but completely random matches would be even easier to ROFLstomp. As it stands, you have to really work for those 10 really good matches. (This includes months or even years of competitive practice before any one tournament.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users