#121 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostTarogato, on 18 August 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

I have a feeling the top 50 lights are just very efficient KSers

I can only speak for myself (maybe the others are scoring 10 kills / 300dmg games, I don't know) but the games that got me ranked on this ladder thingy are me pulling out 1000+ damage and the second best score of my team painfully reaching 350-400. Who's stealing the kills then?

#122 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest.

It's time for you to move offices to a real country.

#123 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

PGI should be embarrassed for themselves after this weekend... constant lag spikes and server de-sync in every other match. Great way to advertise the game to the masses on a double event weekend. Smart move keeping the fix until the Tuesday patch instead of hot fixing it before the weekend, I`m sure all the new players that joined MWO this weekend were impressed by the state of the game.

#124 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

In old school terms I would say the tournament was rigged and TwinkyOverlord was what we used to call a ringer.

It's actually an Australian term

ringer
especially be a dead ringer for "resemble closely," 1891, from ringer, a fast horse entered fraudulently in a race in place of a slow one (the verb to ring in this sense is attested from 1812), possibly from British ring in "substitute, exchange," via ring the changes, "substitute counterfeit money for good," a pun on ring the changes in the sense of play the regular series of variations in a peal of bells (1614). Meaning "expert" is first recorded 1918, Australian slang, from earlier meaning "man who shears the most sheep per day" (1871).

#125 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 18 August 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

In old school terms I would say the tournament was rigged and TwinkyOverlord was what we used to call a ringer.

It's actually an Australian term

ringer
especially be a dead ringer for "resemble closely," 1891, from ringer, a fast horse entered fraudulently in a race in place of a slow one (the verb to ring in this sense is attested from 1812), possibly from British ring in "substitute, exchange," via ring the changes, "substitute counterfeit money for good," a pun on ring the changes in the sense of play the regular series of variations in a peal of bells (1614). Meaning "expert" is first recorded 1918, Australian slang, from earlier meaning "man who shears the most sheep per day" (1871).

Anyone who plays with Twinky will tell you that these tourny results are no fluke... he grinded it out to the top of TWO weight classes, pretty damn impressive.

#126 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

UBCslayer

Anyone who plays with Twinky will tell you that these tourny results are no fluke... he grinded it out to the top of TWO weight classes, pretty damn impressive.

And what's even more impressive about MR.Twinky is out of thousands of games solo and private I have played have never seen his name until now or a lot of the top 20 players in each category? And after asking around on comms channels a lot of these players no one has heard about before. Its just truly impressive.

#127 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 18 August 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

UBCslayer

And what's even more impressive about MR.Twinky is out of thousands of games solo and private I have played have never seen his name until now or a lot of the top 20 players in each category? And after asking around on comms channels a lot of these players no one has heard about before. Its just truly impressive.

doesn't that usually mean that you and your friends are way below his level?

#128 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Eglar
(doesn't that usually mean that you and your friends are way below his level? )

I would like to agree with you but its highly unlikely considering the small player base that is left.

#129 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 18 August 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Eglar
(doesn't that usually mean that you and your friends are way below his level? )

I would like to agree with you but its highly unlikely considering the small player base that is left.

And yet you didn't drop against him. The player base, while likely small in comparison to other games, is still larger than most realize. It's very easy to play and simply not drop against people.

#130 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostDragonsFire, on 18 August 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

And yet you didn't drop against him.

Why would you assume stuff like that? I dropped against twinky 6 times out of 119 drops.

View PostPappySmurf, on 18 August 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Twinky is of the competitive scene playing for Swords of Kentares, you might know them from first engagement (PGI hosted) or also private hosted ones like Run Hot Or Die. You can see Twinkyoverlords name ranked #1 somewhere in the past 4 tournaments.

So what you said makes me wonder who is missing out. Yes I do remember your name and I do remember seeing it occasionally but I see Twinky in drops alot more than I see you.

Edited by Eglar, 18 August 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#131 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostEglar, on 18 August 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Why would you assume stuff like that? I dropped against twinky 6 times out of 119 drops.

That was actually directed at PappySmurf and not you, my apologies for the confusion.

#132 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the laugh Pappy Smurf... I needed that.

#133 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Dear PGI,

in my opinion, the current Scoring-System for Tournaments is heavily flawed because it largely encourages

- kill-stealing
- touching every opponent (just a little)
- trying to get that next "magic" (aka "derpy") game

Even winning or losing a match made not that great of a difference than getting a few kills or assists more. Actually one of my highest scoring tourney-games was a lost one (but at least a close one).

Suggestion:

1.) Take Player rating (aka "Elo") into account when calculating Tournament Score

Average Elo of a Game and individual Elo should be taken into account when calculating Tournament Score for a match.

In this way a high rated player in a low rated match gets not as much score as a low rated player in a high rated match.

2.) "Critical Assist" and "Component Destruction Assist"

I think it would be good if we had (in general, not just for Tournaments):

a.) Component Destruction Assist

Dealing at least 51% of all damage that eventually leads to the destruction of that particular component gets rewarded like a Component Destruction.

b.) Critical Assist

Dealing at least 51% of all damage on a specific component, that leads eventually to a kill, gets rewarded like a kill. The final scoreboard should also reflect this with an extra column labeled "Critical Assists".

Good day

Edited by zaepp, 18 August 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#134 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

View Postzaepp, on 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

- kill-stealing

There is no such thing in this game. The kill was taken, because other teammates could not.

1.) Take Player rating (aka "Elo") into account when calculating Tournament Score
Average Elo of a Game and individual Elo should be taken into account when calculating Tournament Score for a match.
In this way a high rated player in a low rated match gets not as much score as a low rated player in a high rated match.

How can you even suggest this? It's a tournament, not a "let's give new players an edge" game. It's fairly clear that higher elo players perform better then low elo players. If at all, elo should be disabled during the tournament.

2.) "Critical Assist" and "Component Destruction Assist"

I think it would be good if we had (in general, not just for Tournaments):

a.) Component Destruction Assist

Dealing at least 51% of all damage that eventually leads to the destruction of that particular component gets rewarded like a Component Destruction.

b.) Critical Assist

Dealing at least 51% of all damage on a specific component, that leads eventually to a kill, gets rewarded like a kill. The final scoreboard should also reflect this with an extra column labeled "Critical Assists".

guess i could live with that.

Good night.

#135 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

And yet none of you could match my ranking of #261 in heavies. TAKE THAT

...a higher number is better, right? Guys?

#136 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

It all comes down to who has the most free time really, you need to get some drops on good maps etc.

new scoring system is for sure needed. Reward lights for dmg, narc, tag, spotting, dmg etc.

Assaults for dmg done AND taking dmg etc.

Edit: I say it's luck/time spend because any time I've dropped with top players they never have score worthy rounds, it's usually quite even and everyone gets a kill or two.

Edited by shad0w4life, 18 August 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#137 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostEglar, on 18 August 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

There is no such thing in this game. The kill was taken, because other teammates could not.

Please, don't get all obsessed by the expression "kill-stealing". The Scoring-system is too much biased towards kills. Therefore I suggested the expansion of the system and add "Component Destruction Assists" and "Critical Assists".

How can you even suggest this? It's a tournament, not a "let's give new players an edge" game. It's fairly clear that higher elo players perform better then low elo players. If at all, elo should be disabled during the tournament.

Tournament scores should reflect player's performance in an environment with equally skilled teammates and opponents. If this environment can't be provided, for example in times of low population, the scoring-algorithm should take this into account.

Good night.

Likewise.

Edited by zaepp, 18 August 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#138 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

View Postzaepp, on 18 August 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Tournament scores should reflect player's performance in an environment with equally skilled teammates and opponents. If this environment can't be provided, for example in times of low population, the scoring-algorithm should take this into account.

Make different leagues than but i am not willing to give "worse" players that edge. If you enter a tournament and win, you want to be the best of all who entered and not just "the best because you prepared your elo by losing 200 matches in a row".

#139 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

There should not be multiple tiers in these events. I mean really, who wants to put "August 2014 Worthy Adversary C-Tier Champion" in their signature? Trolls would feast.

#140 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 18 August 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Edit: I say it's luck/time spend because any time I've dropped with top players they never have score worthy rounds, it's usually quite even and everyone gets a kill or two.

Because it hard where there are many equal skilled players. The damage and kills get balanced... However mechs like heavies and assaults that can deal a lot of damage in a short period of time can over come this somewhat...
Much harder on mediums and lights though..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users