215 replies to this topic

#81 SkywalkerOG

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

We've been working on a variety of ways to improve our network: At this stage no option is really off the table, we're looking into the hardware, the infrastructure, our internet provider; everything. I'll have more news to come on that front soon. ;)

I invented some "datacenter building blocks" that could help rapidly expand your capacity. Imagine building a high performance datacenter about 20 square feet at a time. I will send PM

#82 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 16 August 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Growing steadily at 4%, unemployment looks be under control... not sure which USA you're looking at, but the one I see if doing fairly well. Even the "doomed housing market" is back to 2006 levels.

I manage money for a living and disagree completely. We are on track for 2.1% growth in GDP this year, revised downwards from previous estimates. Unemployment is shady--many gave up, but there jobs being given back. What is NOT improving is wage growth. Without wage growth, you can not have sustainable economic growth, subsequent inflation and ultimately an increase in interest rates.

Without an increase in interest rates, the banks are... making bank on depositor money, while the depositors get screwed. The majority of Fed actions have benefited the few at the expense of the many. I'm more than willing to go in depth but trust me on what I say.

#83 MX Duke

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 16 August 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

No because they literally charge money for MC.

Yes, but MC is 1's and 0's. It cannot be sold, bartered, or even returned.

And when you buy MC, your not buying a consumable, or a commodity, your buying a service. I don't care what country your in, free services are never regulated.

#84 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

Anyone else noticing an unusual number of LRM boats this weekend? It seems that everyone and their uncle are running them! My brawler Mechs can't close the distance fast enough before getting shredded, and, if I take cover, I just have some Light run around way outside my range and TAG the bejeebers out of me. I keep getting stuck on teams with few or no LRMs, and we keep getting rolled by teams that boat LRMs. It's getting ridiculous. I've slid nearly a hundred slots in the IS Heavies simply because I refuse to boat LRMs.

I tried to counter this by refitting two of my Heavies to run PPCs, but the nerf (thanks PGI :ph34r: ) renders them little better than my brawlers. I can't hit anything at range because of the huge lead required. Mechs either dodge the shots, or the firing window is too small to slip the shots in before enemy Mechs reach cover. There's been a couple times I rocked out, triggered PPCs at an LRM boat, and then rocked back behind cover only to have the LRM boat sidestep the PPCs, lock me, and then shower me with LRMs because it has Target Decay. It doesn't help that I played Caustic Valley more than any other map this weekend, which has nearly zero cover from LRMs (arc too high for those low rises). I'm saving for the Target Deprivation Module, but I won't earn enough for it before the tourney ends.

On these tourneys, PGI should fix the MM so that you don't have to fight six LRM boats at once! At the very least, fix my PPCs!

#85 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

all i notice is that These tournaments arent about skill or teamplay at all.
4kills 5 assists 540dmg are worth more or equal than 2 kills 10 assists an 800 dmg? what a joke.
then obviously the heaviest Chassis of the class got a massive Advantage. i would love to see a calculation of Points that includes the Tonnage so heavier Chassis have to perform better than the lighter ones in the same class.

and then, MM completely works against lighter Chassis too, sadly....

#86 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

View Post911 Inside Job, on 16 August 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Who in their right mind would start a company in Canada? Unless you got Trillions in government subsidies like the Nuclear Industry.

I believe 7G entertainment (the owner of IGP) obtained Quebec government grants to fund initial development of the IGP games including MWO.

Edited by Mawai, 17 August 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#87 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

View Postrusticatedcharm, on 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

I think you read the rules wrong. The only rules that apply to contests under $2k are 5 and 6. Both of these sections have nothing to do with registering anything with anyone.

The problem may have to do with clause 9 of section 5.

(9) the information that as a minimum the persons specified in section 12 must be excluded in all cases;

"12. A person for whom a publicity contest is carried on, his employee, representative or mandatary, a member of the jury and the persons with whom they are domiciled may not enter the contest."

This basically excludes all IGP/PGI employees and anyone living with them from being eligible for the contest.

However, MWO is free to play. It can be registered with anonymous email addresses and paid for using paypal or game cards which may not include sufficient information to identify each player as being a member in the group identified in 12 which MUST be excluded from receiving rewards from the publicity contest. The only way to bypass this constraint is to award prizes less than $100 in each publicity contest.

If I had to guess then I would say that the inability to actually identify the owner of an account in all cases as part of a specific group is the constraint limiting them in this specific instance.

However, they might be able to work around this constraint to some degree by identifying the rewards for each class of mechs as SEPARATE publicity contests. One for each weight class of IS and clan mechs ... or even just IS vs. Clan. Each is an identifiable sub group within the game and could be eligible for its own contest.

#88 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Normaly I don't say this about giving away free stuff, but here it is:

Bad Form PGI. Shame on you.

Since the only clan mech released for C-Bills is the Kit Fox, you have 3 of the 8 leader boards that can only be accessed if you pay real money, and 1 of them has a minimum $55 entry fee (Assaults).

I think this is a first for you. You even excluded the Griffin and Wolverine from the Mediums vs the World tourny when they were Phoenix Pack only mechs. Needless to say, I'm disappointed.

That said, the total differences between the IS and the Clans at the non-light role is interesting to witness. Clans are able to put together about 20% higher scores than IS mechs it looks like.

#89 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

I find the current standings to be pretty interesting...

For the heavy and assault categories the scores for clan mechs are quite a bit higher than the ones for IS mechs. Mediums favor the clans to a lesser degree, and lights slightly favor IS. I don't know exactly what that says about balance, but it is a striking difference.

View PostNightmare1, on 17 August 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

Anyone else noticing an unusual number of LRM boats this weekend? It seems that everyone and their uncle are running them! My brawler Mechs can't close the distance fast enough before getting shredded, and, if I take cover, I just have some Light run around way outside my range and TAG the bejeebers out of me. I keep getting stuck on teams with few or no LRMs, and we keep getting rolled by teams that boat LRMs. It's getting ridiculous. I've slid nearly a hundred slots in the IS Heavies simply because I refuse to boat LRMs.

The LRMs are out because of the free mechbay challenge. LRMs are the easiest way to farm assists and steal kills. Not sure why they are running both at the same time...

#90 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

One thing also, what's to prevent sync dropping and if you and a buddy are the last guys left, just letting him tear me apart for max damage etc.

Lots of ways to get around it scoring.

#91 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm just wondering what is the flavor of the week Clan excuse these days for their better non-Light performance across the board. Not that anyone in their right mind couldn't see that coming a mile away.

The point is that there MUST be an explanation other than them being OP which is never ever the case right? RIGHT?

So what is it this time? Clan pilots sync drop better? Clan pilots have better internet? What?

Edited by BOWMANGR, 17 August 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#92 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

This and the other are better, too bad I missed signing up, I will have to pay attention next weekend.

#93 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 16 August 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I manage money for a living and disagree completely. We are on track for 2.1% growth in GDP this year, revised downwards from previous estimates. Unemployment is shady--many gave up, but there jobs being given back. What is NOT improving is wage growth. Without wage growth, you can not have sustainable economic growth, subsequent inflation and ultimately an increase in interest rates.

Without an increase in interest rates, the banks are... making bank on depositor money, while the depositors get screwed. The majority of Fed actions have benefited the few at the expense of the many. I'm more than willing to go in depth but trust me on what I say.

I understand what you're saying, what I'm saying is things aren't as bad as many make them out to be. FUD sells, but in reality the doom to capitalism that many preach hasn't come to pass and likely never will.

#94 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 15 August 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

What i don't understand is why this event is at the same time as the marik mech bay challenge for 2 reasons:
1) Clanners can't really participate in both events at the same time
2) If these events happen on different weekends, we can enjoy them both to the fullest.

It may not be intentional, but it is clever because it encourages good players who bought Clan to play IS mechs for the free mechbay. I wouldn't have dusted off my Founder Atlas if I hadn't needed something on the Marik list for several matches, and then played it several more times to establish a position in IS Assaults.

Work and my wife's scout troop have seriously damaged my ability to compete though, since I'm one of those "squirrel finds a nut now and then" 200 point game guys, not one of those "oh crap a 200 point game brings down my average" guys. I might make the leaderboard if I played 30 hours in the weekend, otherwise, not a chance. :)

#95 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 16 August 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Hah, trust someone who admits to managing money. GDP is pretty shady as well. No idea how the BEA is accounting for monetization of personally held capital goods (Lyft, Uber, AirBnB), no idea how big the underground cash economy has grown, no idea what the barter economy looks like, so less than good visibility into wages with the error creeping over time.

Edit: Money managers was a joke, my brother and many of my friends are/were professional money guys.

PCE looks strong to me and after several years of revenue constraint non-defense government expenditures will likely climb. The automotive fleet is incredibly old, and millennials are now starting to enter the age where cars are more necessary.

I'm carrying a fairly upbeat on the overall economy, surprisingly, (although I haven't done it professionally for several years now, so YMMV).

View PostBOWMANGR, on 17 August 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

I'm just wondering what is the flavor of the week Clan excuse these days for their better non-Light performance across the board. Not that anyone in their right mind couldn't see that coming a mile away.

The point is that there MUST be an explanation other than them being OP which is never ever the case right? RIGHT?

So what is it this time? Clan pilots sync drop better? Clan pilots have better internet? What?

Clan pilots are people who are committed enough and confident enough to drop a fair amount of real money on a hobby. It is the pilots who are self-selecting, not the equipment.

Aff?

Edited by WVAnonymous, 17 August 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#96 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Grats top pilots! I snagged a top 20 in medium.. I'm happy with that! GLHF guys!

Posted Image

#97 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostOmaha, on 17 August 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Grats top pilots! I snagged a top 20 in medium.. I'm happy with that! GLHF guys!

Hmmm.. Isn't the tourny still ongoing till tomorrow ?

#98 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

LMFAO you're right! I clearly have a problem with miss reading things thanks ShinVector! Guess I'll have to keep at it then!

#99 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Why cant it just end... My eyes are starting to burn and my friends no longer like me because I've turned into a sick twisted individual... I'm a broken soul :'(

#100 W0RF

Rookie

• The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. ;)

There is a SIMPLE solution to this problem:

Dont make all the Leaderboards for IS or Clan weight classes a SINGLE competition ... make simultanous competitions for EACH weight class !

This simple legal trick allows you to have up to 100 bucks of price money for EACH Leaderboard of each weight class :D
Of course you need to check with your lawyer how to do this so that it is accourding to the law in Quebec ... but it shouldnt be a big problem to make seperate pages for each competition, and I dont think that more than 1 promotial contest at the same time is forbidden.

I suggest that you test this idea the next time with 2 seperate competitions for IS and Clans in the next promotial contest(S)
If you dont mix Clan and IS mechs in the SOLO drops, but make 3x4 IS mechs versus 2x5 Clan mechs, this would also make the contest more interesting for the participants AND reduce the risk of legal problems ...

Edited by METAlab, 17 August 2014 - 11:59 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users