#41 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostWmLowFlyer, on 17 August 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yes

If you haven't already leveled out the "good" IS mechs, then IDK why you are wasting your time with garbage like the quickdraw, awesome, dragon, trebby, locust, wolverine, griffon, etc...

Dragon, Trebuchet, Griffins are Garbage? Because you cant play 'em?

i have multiple 1100+ damage 6+kills with all of 'em, they aren't Garbage if you know how to handle them.

#42 WmLowFlyer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostEnzlaved, on 17 August 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Dragon, Trebuchet, Griffins are Garbage? Because you cant play 'em?

i have multiple 1100+ damage 6+kills with all of 'em, they aren't Garbage if you know how to handle them.

I have the dragon, trebby, etc. mastered. I can play them, but there are straight up better mechs that I could also play in the same tonnage catagory.

When the dragon was introduced, that was my main ride back in CB.... times have changed, new mechs have made appearances since then that have obsoleted it.

#43 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Excuse me sir. You will learn to fear my locust. After I'm finished leveling them that is...

#44 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

What leveling up an IS mech feels like after the clan invasion.

Posted Image

#45 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I think its F'ing insulting that they force us to pilot an IS mech that we have no interest in to fulfill the mech bay challenge. Let us have the choice. **** I own like 2 of the ones listed at this point. And I DO NOT enjoy them.

#46 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostWarZ, on 17 August 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

I think its F'ing insulting that they force us to pilot an IS mech that we have no interest in to fulfill the mech bay challenge. Let us have the choice. **** I own like 2 of the ones listed at this point. And I DO NOT enjoy them.

Then you've failed to understand the whole point of the challenge then, getting people out of Clan Mechs...

#47 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

View PostWarZ, on 17 August 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Given that over the last 2 weeks they've 1) had a sale (C-bills and MC) on every mech used in the challenges and 2) that has been most of the mechs in the game, I find it difficult to believe that a founder has not had more than 2 of those mechs. Either you have no interest in playing any IS mechs at all, or you're angry about nothing and complaining for no reason.

#48 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

View PostHadham, on 17 August 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Now that the clan mechs have hit the game does anyone else feel that they wasted their time leveling IS mechs?

Not at all. I'm hoping against all odds that we'll eventually have actual Community Warfare and I get to use them against Petri dish space fascists in 10 vs 12 battles over planets, resources and 'mech factories. ;)

#49 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

Well, I loved the shadowhawk. But the timberwolf runs at 89 kph, almost as fast as my 95 kph shadowhawk 2d2, has an insane payload, brutal armor and just outclasses my medium on every imaginable level. It could probably take down 2 shadowhawks at the same time.

But leveling the shadowhawk was a lot of fun and for a time it was a strong mech. So it wasn't a waste of time. As soon as I can get clan mechs though I don't believe I'd ever go back to such an (now) inferior mech, except weight limits or other factors come into play.

#50 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:11 AM

As the main fun for me is to try out all kind of strange/funny/silly weapon layouts and trying to find ways how to play a mech well I have fun playing both IS and Clan. Heck, for some strange reason I am doing much better in my Warhawk or Nova than in my Timber Wolf and I really love it when I am having a good kill streak in my Banshees or Boars Head in silly setup mode ™. It really depends on what gives you fun in MWO actually. If you only get a kick from lots of kills/high damage score per match, well...

However, don't you believe that PGI eventually will release new weapon technology and mechs for IS? I mean, it would be the perfect next upgrade/mech pack they can sell (and release for c-bills later on). I really hope PGI goes this way and not totally nerf Clans. All that would achieve is lots of unhappy no-longer-customers.

#51 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I play about a 50/50 mix of IS to Clan depending on my mood. Clans offer a different play style and really that is about it. The ability to change their hard points around also means they are much easier to customize to you personal preference (well some of them anyway). However, I still have quite a few IS mechs that smoke Clan mechs no problem. For Example, my Battlemaster 1G generally out performs my Timber Wolf (yeah I know, I must only suck at playing the Timber Wolf because there is no way a Battlemaster is better right?).

Still I think the issue is that probably 75% of IS mech variants are average or below average where as the clan mechs all start at average and go up from there.

Couple things to consider though. IS mech if they are lucky might have 2 good variants with the rest sucking due to hard point configurations. Clan mechs on the other hand, can always mix and match and through mix and matching can usually come up with at least 1 or 2 good builds or as in the case of the Timber Wolf/Dire Wolf, about a dozen good builds. This leads to the perception that IS mechs suck while all the clan mechs are great.

Also, there are dozens of IS mechs, really over a hundred if you count each variant as one mech, while there are only 8 Clan mechs and those 8 actually represent the 8 best Clan mechs of the original 3050 TRO. So you have about 100 IS variants, 75 of which kinda suck vs 8 Clan mechs, all of which are at least serviceable if not downright good. It is not hard to see why people seem to think the Clans are better.

#52 CharlieChap

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Waiste of time levelling Inner Sphere Mechs ?

Depends upon why you play the game and what you enjoy.

If its all about Stats and you cannot cope with not being at the top of the scoreboard. Thats probably true at this point.......

Any other criteria and all mechs are as valid as each other, it comes down to personal preference.

If you drop into a game and there is a Direwolf player and another in a Locust, at the end of the match who is the the more skillful player ?. Is it the one with the most damage ?. No, Its probably the player in the Locust because they have a similar ELO but they have got there in a Locust.
On average the meta mechs in any particular game are likely to be piloted by less skillfull players. Think about it.

(thats what I tell myself when I crash and burn horribly anyway !)

#53 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm not sure what im going to use my IS mechs for once clans become available, Atlas is clearly getting replaced by direwolf and stalker/catapult/jagger are easily replaced by timberwolf. I don't own any medium mechs.

I'll probably keep the IS lights, but that's only because they haven't released any fast clan lights yet and even then, I usually don't play lights because they aren't that much fun in the current meta. I like to brawl and clans really pushed the IS heavies into the "paper thin" category that was previously occupied by mediums so mostly playing atlas now.

I don't regret leveling them as I needed something to earn cbills in to buy clan mechs, and I needed to earn those cbills before *everyone* is driving clan tech.

Edited by Asmosis, 18 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#54 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

No. Bought a Timberwolf a la carte and regret that purchase because I'm not all that into Clan mechs.

#55 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 17 August 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

If it's any consolation...LB2x doesn't have any ghost heat. Dakka to your heart's content.

I'm kinda sad the Summoner can only mount 3. The Dakka is very fun.

lbx2 has enough base heat though that it isn't that great and you will overheat using it.

#56 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 18 August 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

Not at all. I'm hoping against all odds that we'll eventually have actual Community Warfare and I get to use them against Petri dish space fascists in 10 vs 12 battles over planets, resources and 'mech factories. ;)

I like your attitude.

#57 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

I don't feel that I've wasted my time leveling IS mechs while waiting for clans, but i do feel I've wasted a hell of lot of GXP ;)

#58 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Not in the least, the ones I loved before still kick butt.

#59 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostCharlieChap, on 18 August 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

If you drop into a game and there is a Direwolf player and another in a Locust, at the end of the match who is the the more skillful player ?. Is it the one with the most damage ?. No, Its probably the player in the Locust because they have a similar ELO but they have got there in a Locust.

:)

#60 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

No. Not at all actually.

In general, I find clan mechs to be a bit more effective than IS in some circumstances but not enough so that I feel significantly disadvantaged when part of a team. If PGI balances them for 10 vs 12 then each clan mech will on average be 20% or so more effective than an IS mech ... but that will depend on how folks play them and what they fit them with.

I have currently mastered: 3 x Jenner, 1 x spider, 1x cicada, 3xhunchback, 4xcatapult, 3xjagermech, 3xstalker

I am working on: kitfox, firestarter, shadowhawk, battlemaster, nova, summoner, direwolf,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users