- - - - -

Stable Footing

24 replies to this topic

#1 darkfireslide

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I joined MWO last night and am fairly unfamiliar with the Battletech universe. I have quite a few questions, which is why I didn't post this in the quick question area. I'll try to be concise nonetheless.

1. Where can I read more about the lore for this game? As well, what does it mean to be in a faction in this game, and how does one join one? Are they player-ran organizations or a game mechanic? I can't find this information anywhere and it would be extremely helpful to know. Also I know that there is a difference between inner circle and clan mechs, but I don't know what that difference is (if it's even a general difference).

2. Where is a good place to find detailed information/descriptions of mechs? Neither the game nor this site provide any information on what a mech is actually capable of before purchase, especially in regards to what I consider basic information, such as base mobility/offensive/defensive capabilities in addition to what role a mech should serve (I know mechs have a lot of customization, but c'mon, why isn't the number of hardpoints in the store or on this site?). I bought a Griffin-3M as my first mech after I got my cadet bonuses, and while I enjoy it (I customized it to have dual ER LR's and an LRM20+Artemis), it would've been nice to know beforehand what capabilities the mech had, especially what its DEFAULT loadout is.

3. Is there a way to tell exactly how many C-Bills you've made after a match? I can't seem to find this information.

4. How does the spotting system work?

That's all I can think of for now. Answers to these questions would be immensely helpful. I am really enjoying this game so far and would like to know more so that I can enjoy it more.

#2 Grimbloodz

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

There is a free online database of info at www.sarna.net - a free Battletech/Mechwarrior database, and joining a "faction" is merely a role-playing preference, it has no effect in game, they are mostly the powers that make up the battletech universe, not like a guild or clan in other MMO's. Your first 25 matches give you bonuses so after doing that, you will know what sort of 'mech u want, the bottom left of your mech selection and login screens have ur current c-bills. Spotting is mostly scouting, and locking a mech by pressing the "R" key, light mechs are great for this, but never run straight towards anyone in a light lol

#3 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

1. sarna.net Factions are nothing at the moment. Player made units are coming in a couple of weeks. Rest of the faction stuff around end of the year.

2. mwo.smurfy-net.de

3. End screen has a tab called Player stats, press that.

4. You have line of sight to a mech within 750 meters you will spot them as hollow triangles. Press R to lock the target and share it to your teammates (turns filled in). ECM, BAP etc. convolute the mechanics.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postdarkfireslide, on 17 August 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

1. Where can I read more about the lore for this game?

Sarna. If you want more colorful background, read the novels. They are bad prose, but they shed a different light on the plain facts laid out on Sarna.

As well, what does it mean to be in a faction in this game, and how does one join one? Are they player-ran organizations or a game mechanic? I can't find this information anywhere and it would be extremely helpful to know. Also I know that there is a difference between inner circle and clan mechs, but I don't know what that difference is (if it's even a general difference).

The first game mechanic to support factions is coming in next week. You can already join in the factions subforums -- everyone has a recruitment thread. It ranges from all casual to hardcore competitive.

2. Where is a good place to find detailed information/descriptions of mechs?

Smurfy is the preferred outside resource. You can also select Mechlab > Filter:Purchasable, click on a mech, and click on Mech Details to see what it comes with. If you hover over a purchasable mech, it will show you the quirks and hardpoints.

3. Is there a way to tell exactly how many C-Bills you've made after a match? I can't seem to find this information.

Click on Player Stats on the the post-match screen.

You have 850m range for spotting anything that you can see (within your viewport) that is not covered by ECM nor shut down. You can extend that with the sensor range module, and by using the Beagle Active Probe equipment. You can pierce ECM by pointing a TAG laser at a mech, and hitting with a NARC beacon. You can temporarily disable ECM by hitting an ECM-equipped mech with a PPC or ERPPC. You automatically see mechs spotted by friendlies (using R by default), and anything under a friendly UAV or with a friendly NARC active on it. BAP and various modules help with the time to get spotting information, how long you can keep a hidden mech spotted, and how quickly you disappear from "radar".

Edited by Modo44, 17 August 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

1. Not a huge Battletech fan, but most people point to sarna.net and a few youtube videos that offer a brief history. The Battletech Universe timeline runs across several hundred years with different eras. The year in game here is 3050, right at the invasion of the Clans. Koniving should be around to post more.

IS stands for Inner Sphere. It is basically equivalent to "known space" or the colonized/nationalized part of space. There are 6 great Houses that own the territory which have competed against each other for centuries. The Clans are the descendents of those that left the IS after the collapse of the Star League which was the end of the golden era for the IS. They came back 300 years later to conquer it. Their society is extremely militaristic with castes and eugenics. Their tech is better in every way and they are an unstopable force at first. During those same 300 years, the IS was torn apart by continuous war. It was so bad that knowlege was actually lost so science and advancement went backwards instead of forwards. Thus explaining why Clan tech was so vastly superior.

2. Go to the mechlab, then change the filter in the header from "owned" to "purchaseable. Alternatively, go here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

3. On the score screen, there is another tab at top that details your personal performance.

4. Lock a target by pressing R (default bind). If a friendly shoots missiles at it, you get a spotting assist. If you are asking about general targeting...
You can see basically line of sight not radar. Enemy mechs with a hollow red triangle above them can be selected as targets by you. If they move behind you, you lose the target. If you select one of the targets by pressing R, it will become a filled in triangle. Filled in triangles that are not your target are targeted by one of your allies. Whatever target you have selected is shown to your allies as well as a possible target they can select. Which also means that you can select their targets even if you cannot see them too.
Now things get more convoluted when you toss some modules and ECM into the mix, but that's the core functionality there.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 17 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Let's see.

1. http:://sarna.net is the best-known Battletech wiki, and good enough for an overview into the lore.

The factions (eg, Steiner, Davion) are basically factions, the way the Alliance and Horde are in World of Warcraft, or the Germans and English are in World War II games. They simply are.

"Inner Sphere" and "Clan" are general descriptions. The short form is this.

In the 28th century, there's a Star League - a galactic hegemony that controls inhabited worlds within about 500 light years of earth (ie, the Inner Sphere.) After a coup d'etat was executed and then thwarted, the Star League's central military (the SLDF) decided that, to avoid having its strength be used to snuff out humanity, it would go on an Exodus to deep space.

The five star-empires of the Inner Sphere would go on to nuke each other into near-oblivion (but after 3028 would finally start recovering,) while the exiled SLDF reorganised itself (after another civil war) into the Clans. Now they're returning to conquer earth and remake the Star League in their own image.

2. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de is almost ideal, for information related to this game.

3. At the end of a match, there should be a tab on the scoreboard; this will pull up your detailed stats, including c-bill and experience gain.

4. If you see a 'Mech with a hollow red triangle, and you target it and someone else hits it, you get a spotting bonus. (That's the most basic way to describe it.)

You'll get these hollow red triangles if you're within 800 meters (if I recall,) unless the target is within 180 meters of an ECM-carrier. If you have gear such as Command Console (not usable on Griffins) or Active Probe, this range increases.

Edited by Sandslice, 17 August 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#7 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Alright, I'm pretty new to this game myself, but I can help you out with a couple of things.

1. No idea here, never had any contact with the Battletech universe before. Others might have more experience ;)

2. In the Mechlab choose the preferred weight class, go to "purchaseable" and hover your mouse over the mech you're interested in. That will give you a quick overview of the chassis, it's hard points, it's installed weapons, any upgrades it has and some general rankings as to used tonnage, heat management and so on. For a more detailed info you can click on the mech and then choose "Mech Details" in the bottom right corner, that will give you a full view of the Mech with all the information you need. Exactly what is installed where, free slots, armor distribution, weapon placement and so on.
The role your mech serves on the battlefield is strongly dependent on the specific loadout you choose, so it's often hard to tell by the basic information alone. For most of the IS mechs the stock loadout is pretty awful to start with, so the role is subject to change.

3. After a match on the overview screen go to "player stats", there's a button above the table. It will tell you in detail how many C-Bills and XP you got and for what (Win-Loss, kills, assists, damage done, spotting assists, destroyed components and so on).

4. Unless the target has ECM coverage, your spotting range is 850m if you have a direct line of sight. With ECM that gets reduced to 200m if I'm not mistaken (?). Anything you spot is shared with the group, again unless you are under enemy ECM coverage (that jamms your comms, you can see a "low signal" information on the minimap). You get a spotting assists if someone else manages to hit a target you spotted.

#8 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Sarna has info until i think operation bulldog. I found some info from the jihad and dark ages in wiki since i didn't read the dark ages novels (heard they were crap compared to the older novels).

Some people posted parts of the newer technical readouts online, you might have to search for them but they give you a little info (even the peripheral states)

As for mech details, as mentioned use smurfy. It's a "3rd party" mech designer that lets you conceptualize your mechs, plan your budgets for them and list the details you were looking for (ballistic or missile mech for example). Also, if you click on a mech in smurfy, there's a link (top right) that brings you to mechspecs (links is "discuss mech specs") where you can do some "research" on mech builds.

Edited by dragnier1, 17 August 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hi there and welcome to MWO.

Probably the first site you should consult regarding Battletech is the Battletech Homepage
Its the official Home the whole franchise.

In short Battletech is a SciFi Univeres that developed from the mid 80s up to today.
In its detail and diversity it offers much more than there could ever be transfered to any computer game and so its a very very difficult terrain for newbes.

First rule with Battletech and all that referes to it: EVERLASTING PATIENCE. ;)

Regarding lore and storyline I recommend the Battletech epub novels like its proposed on the Homepage. The site is a bit slow but at least its a legal site and they offer around 50 BT novels for free. Dont be fooled by the Mechwarrior darkage crap, what you search is classic Battletech.

While Sarna is the largest BT wiki known to me, you should be carefull what to belive and what not.
It isn't in any case an official authority regarding the BT lore.
There has been several cases where backgrounds and storylines have been bend and altered and tampered with to suit the needs of certain partys bartering with Battletech products.
*Glares at Highlander and then at PGI* :D

Finaly a word to Battletech in MWO. Yea right its first BATTLETECH and then a long long loooooong run down the drain there is MWO.
While PGI initially did a pretty decent job regarding the artwork and the detail of the mechs there are several points in this game where the publisher did not cling to the lore and several other points where he cramped to the lore. So again be patient.....

Edited by Egomane, 19 August 2014 - 05:04 AM.
removed one link to an illegal source of battletech novels

#10 darkfireslide

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Thank you all. Your tips are extremely helpful. Now to decide on a heavy... a Dragon, a Cataphract, or a Jagermech..

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

View Postdarkfireslide, on 17 August 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Thank you all. Your tips are extremely helpful. Now to decide on a heavy... a Dragon, a Cataphract, or a Jagermech..

Cataphract or Jagermech are both cool mechs.
Jager is more snipy and Cataphract more brawly. Beware of Catas low slung arms and broad torso. So never stand still and don't try to snipe over hills. Go around corners.
A well piloted Jager can snipe the hell out of you by peeping over hills, firing and instantly stepping back.
If hes realy good you will never see him, just his fire.

Hands of the dragon. Its highly niche and a mech for experts seeking a challange.

#12 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 17 August 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

Cataphract or Jagermech are both cool mechs.
Jager is more snipy and Cataphract more brawly. Beware of Catas low slung arms and broad torso. So never stand still and don't try to snipe over hills. Go around corners.
A well piloted Jager can snipe the hell out of you by peeping over hills, firing and instantly stepping back.
If hes realy good you will never see him, just his fire.

Hands of the dragon. Its highly niche and a mech for experts seeking a challange.

I'd add one thing about the Jager: if you go that way, you can pick up the Blackjack later. It's similar enough to where it won't take you so long learning it.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

the Dragon is considered to be harder to use well than the Jagermech or Cataphract, it can move fast but has a huge easy to hit canter torso (and small hard to hit side torsos making it a good idea to fit an eXtra Light (XL) engine and move fast (so it is harder to hit you)

the Cataphract is widely considered to be the best IS heavy, at 70 tones it can mount a decent engine and a lot of firepower, it has variants which work as beam or ballistic boats, and also offers some good all round variants

the Jagermech is designed as a ballistic boat, (although 1 variant will work as a missile boat) it can mount at least 2 of any ballistic weapon currently in game

I suggest checking them out on http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab play around with a few builds and decide what you like. if you want to go 90kph+ in a heavy the dragon is the only one on your list able to do this, if not the Jagermech and Catapract both offer advantages.

#14 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Cataphract! ;)

can have some glorius balistic and energy builds on them. Jäger is to light to do anything fun with it and dragon is just bad.

Edited by Turist0AT, 18 August 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#15 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

Also, check out my guide (link below signature).
It's outdated, but the basics still apply.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

I joined MWO last night and am fairly unfamiliar with the Battletech universe. I have quite a few questions, which is why I didn't post this in the quick question area. I'll try to be concise nonetheless.

1. Where can I read more about the lore for this game? As well, what does it mean to be in a faction in this game, and how does one join one? Are they player-ran organizations or a game mechanic?

Sarna as people have already linked has a lot there. If you want a Fast-Track version, try here (A bit of Background for New Players) which is another thread. The main post there and subsequently my post will give you the utmost basics along with a video to strike the mood (Wauweli's videos are very impressive and dramatic) and another link (which again feeds back to another thread (They're Here) with far more) will help you right along with some incredibly awesome videos that give you the feel and tone of Battletech as well as the basic background of the factions and why they are fighting as well as who the Clans are, where they came from and why they are returning with weapons ready.

2. Where is a good place to find detailed information/descriptions of mechs? Neither the game nor this site provide any information on what a mech is actually capable of before purchase, especially in regards to what I consider basic information, such as base mobility/offensive/defensive capabilities in addition to what role a mech should serve (I know mechs have a lot of customization, but c'mon, why isn't the number of hardpoints in the store or on this site?). I bought a Griffin-3M as my first mech after I got my cadet bonuses, and while I enjoy it (I customized it to have dual ER LR's and an LRM20+Artemis), it would've been nice to know beforehand what capabilities the mech had, especially what its DEFAULT loadout is.

Descriptions? Sarna again.
Details on how they are in MWO? Smurfy! The link has a custom rig in it, however you can click "Tools" then "Stock loadout" to see the stock loadout of any mech you select.

For actual base mobility, in the Mechlab click "Filter" and change it to "Purchasable" which will show all the mechs you can buy in one place that you can filter them by size. Hover the mouse over one and it'll give you base stats. Note these stats will update with "skill tree unlocks" and changes made to the mech. (If it turns this fast with this engine, if you put in a bigger engine it'll reflect the change).

At the end of the match there is a screen which shows your score. "Team Data" or somesuch. The second tab at the top says "Player data" or some such which literally has a breakdown of the earnings for everything you did. If it's not listed, it doesn't pay. (Strangely capturing bases is among these things).

In the simplest terms, press R and people die.

In the more detailed terms: Every mech magically has a C3 (Command/Control/Communications) system despite how these are supposed to consume weight and be tied in with other units in MWO. In BT this superbly overpowered system is quite the advantage, here in MWO it's standard fare.

Anyway, what happens is the C3 Slave aka the mech in charge of spotting will find a comfortable perch from which to spot an enemy. If there are enemies, they will have hollow red triangles (which means they are seen but data is NOT being collected). The pilot then presses R or the targeting key. The enemy will be targeted. The triangle above it will solidify. A bracket [_]forms around the target. Immediately the target will be available for anyone to actively target. Over the course of X seconds (varies with distance, equipment, etc.), enemy information will be downloaded and provided to other allies. This is crucial to knowing what kind of condition the enemy is in. Marking the target with R also gives the enemy a designation. A, B, C, etc.

It's far simpler than it sounds. If you lose the target, everyone does. But if someone else sees it then even if you lose it, the target can still be held.

However, in an ECM field no one can hear you scream, and no one will know what you targeted. Stay away from them if possible. "Low signal" is a very bad sign that things are about to hit the fan.

Also welcome to MWO.

Edited by Koniving, 18 August 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#17 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Welcome aboard, looksl ike i'm a bit late to the party. Sarna is your goldmine for lore info as everyone said.

Mechs don't really have base defensive or offensive capability or even a predefined role. (also there is a huge difference between what am ech was "designed" to do in lore vs what it can do in MWO). Mechs are build with weapons hardpoints, engine limitations, etc which directly affect what types of weapons a mech may carry or what rating engine it may have, but these are very broad categories so it's difficult to pin down precisely what an individual chassis' offensive capabilities are since weapons and engines are highly modular.

The Store tab is missing a lot of information, but the info regarding a mechs stats, hardpoints, etc can all be found in the Mechlab tab (mechlab > changed ownef to purchaseable > select mech, mouseover for more, hit mech details below the mech render for full layout) as well as through 3rd party sites such as Smurfy.

Dragons are best if you think of it as more like a Medium mech; they can make good flankers or fast attackers (being much faster than the other Heavy mechs) and using speed to get into position, flank the enemy, or to escape.

Jagermech is excellent for bringing ballistic weapons with it's high-mounted ballistic arms (or the Jager A which offers fewer ballistics but also missiles with high tube count). A bit fragile since it has a broad body with easy to hit hitboxes but great ballistic weapon potential.

Cataphract is a solid all-rounder with variants offering great ballistic+energy weapons (some have missiles but generally only 1 or 2 and with low tube counts, not suited to big LRM launchers) and many variants have jump jets.

Heavies can be good chassis to start with, although they tend to be more expensive than Mediums. Smurfy can help you plan your builds in advance so you don't waste too many c-bills (like buying an engine you may not need)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 18 August 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Also if you're mildly interested, I have a Battletech battles thread in fan creations which chronicles various Battletech battles I played. Some in game-action text with flavor/descriptions thrown in, and the most recent one in an actual story summarizing the fight.

Here's a quick excerpt from the last one.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 18 August 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#19 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

1. Where can I read more about the lore for this game? As well, what does it mean to be in a faction in this game, and how does one join one? Are they player-ran organizations or a game mechanic? I can't find this information anywhere and it would be extremely helpful to know. Also I know that there is a difference between inner circle and clan mechs, but I don't know what that difference is (if it's even a general difference).

I'll just answer this one point as i'm sure everyone else will give you quick and detailed information on the rest.

As a complete BT virgin, you gotta read the books, and if you can find anyone to join you (i haven't) play the table top game.

Building up the novel library at this time could be easy or difficult, depending on the quality of used bookstores near you. Myself, i've got 80-some of the 90-some Battletech/Mechwarrior soft covers. And 4 or 5 of the Battletech Dark Ages series that came after.

To get your start for free, grab all the free copies you can from this lore source and read them in this order.

Currently there is zero reason to worry about your faction. There are no penalties or benefits to belong to one or the other. Get your feet wet, meet some people and when you find some folks you mesh well with... join them.

No matter what fluff (lore) you love and which faction you personally identify with after reading the books, you'll have more fun and enjoyment from MWO by playing in a group of folks you gel with.

I encourage you to visit www.ransomscorsairs.com or our recruitment thread and consider dropping with us for some fun and an introduction to MWO with very colourful commentary. :-)

As an added bonus, our expert techs will supply you with all sorts of suggestions on which mechs to avoid, which to purchase and how to build them for optimum performance - all based on your personal style and needs.

Edited by Egomane, 19 August 2014 - 05:05 AM.
removed another illegal source for novels link

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Dragon, while fantastic in Battletech is far more skill oriented here. If you have avid skills in controlling the arms independent of the body, the Dragon can be a very interesting mech. However to compete in MWO it has to go to a very large XL engine which is incredibly expensive. It'd be a difficult grind for you this early on.

A Jagermech starts with very little armor but that is easy to raise up. JM6-S and DD are frequently recommended. DD has an XL engine (necessary for good ballistic weapons). The S has more energy hardpoints making it standard engine friendly.

XL engines mean you'll die easier, just to mention it. But are significantly lighter.

A Cataphract does get slightly more armor and tonnage to work with as well as more variety in variants. I have mixed feelings on the cataphracts. My favorites are the ones most people hate.

Cataphract vids.
Spoiler

Jagermech
Spoiler

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users