Ugly "mechlab Treatment", Is It Worth It?

BattleMechs

38 replies to this topic

#1 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

The known as "mechlab treatment" or visual weapon customization is an awesome idea, but some mechs with this "treatment" now look extremely bad, in fact the mechs look gorgeous some of them are pieces of art but the weapons addons are quite often ugly black boxes, empty missile racks, weapons sticking out of the mech. Honestly they look as a lazy fix.

Don't believe me? look, LOOK THE ROOM OF THE HORRORS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I invite all of you to spread the word and post the ugliest pics and screenshots of the "mechlab treatment" effects.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Haha nice can't wait to see more!

#3 Semper Fi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe Great North West of US

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

I think you are right some of it is ugly, but unless you run meta, I would say potentially unique. :)

Semper Fi

#4 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Out of all of those efforts, I'd say the 3x machine gun artwork looks the weakest. It's like they were working on the project at the same time that they really REALLY had to make it to the washroom, but couldn't decide which had priority.

"Gahhh... I... geez... just slap them here, here and here! Gotta go go go!! OUTTA MY WAY!!"

Edited by StaggerCheck, 18 August 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Vassago Rain, 18 August 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

This hand here is quite disgusting.

Posted Image

My poor catapult is dying inside.

Posted Image

Here's how big the ears really are now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

In some obvious cases, no.

It would've been nice had there been some sort of community input on some of the "potentially difficult" ones.

"VCR ears" (on the Catapult) and "protrusions" on the 4G's RT ... those are probably the most egregious examples.

#8 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Does the awful reskinning of the founder's cat and other mechs count?

Posted Image Before and after.

#9 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I don't see what's so bad about it. Yes, some of the scaling is a bit weird, but scaling has always been weird in BattleTech.

#10 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Quad PPC hunchback is great lol! I wonder how many locusts could hide in the catapult's ears?

#11 LoneMaverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

The "cheap grey plastic" used for the modular missile hardpoints is what gets me the most, that promo pic of the Hellslinger made me physically sick.
Posted Image
Even though it looks better on my GRF, I hate to see my Centurion once they get their customization pass and his ST is ugly as ****.
Posted Image
:)

#12 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

this all reminds me of this...!

Posted Image

Edited by Cion, 18 August 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#13 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I will admit, sometimes the visual customizations do look rather off-putting when compared to weapons that were designed into the 'Mech's frame (like how the Atlas and many others were, and like Cataphracts and others still are), but quite honestly, they had to do something. :)
And for instance the Catapult K2, SOMETHING has to go into the arms, even when nothing is there. ;)

#14 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

On the one hand, I absolutely agree with you.

On the other hand, I hate to point out the obvious....PGI simply can't hire the people necessary to fix your problems.

It requires artists (they're good on that end....if they weren't, they wouldn't be able to put out the MC sales they do on a bi-weekly basis).

On the other hand, it requires coders to make it happen. Work with me here. If they showed 20 tubes on a D-DC, then all the noob..er..."elite veterans of 25 matches" would be doing backflips. Unfortunately for them, unless the coders actually set it with 20 tubes, it doesn't matter what it looks like....it requires co-operation between both departments.

And therein lies PGI's downfall. There are, apparently, all sorts of Canadian people that can handle the artwork and marketing (duh).....but fewer that can handle the actual coding. If only they'd advertise that they're looking for coders...wait, they have been, but noone is willing to re-locate to the ass-crack of nowhere to get their low 5-figure salary quote.

Whatever, it's all good. If I may, allow me to help them with their job advertisement status:

1 ) The cost of living in Canada is far less than it is 30 minutes away from they are, as long as you have a valid passport. Just drive for half an hour and every fast-food resturaunt is half-off what it is, other than "Jacque's Road Kill."

2 ) Strong beer is cheap. By "Strong," I mean "skunky" in a lot of terminologies. Personally, I'm a fan of Canadian beer. Think "Heineken" and you'll be on the right path. Moosehead and Molson's are great. Stay away from LaBatt's..it's Canunk. Generally speaking, everyone hates the French, and French-Canadian isn't any better.

3 ) Chicks are easy. More specifically, Canadian chicks are easy. If you have even the faintest taint of an accent that is different than theirs, they go crazy for you.....even more so than American chicks go crazy for an Australian/British accent. Take that for what it's worth, but from an ugly...hideously ugly...American dude, I'm here to tell you that I've never failed to get "lucky" when Canadian chicks are concerned.

4 ) If you're even mildly "productive," you simply cannot fail as far as PGI is concerned. Based on the prior performance of this company, if you show up on time and schedule all of your time off, you're in line to take Russ or Paul's job within 6 months of employment. And....here's the best part...you don't actually have to do anything as long as you can either blame your incompetence on someone else or simply tell them that you're "working on it" at staff meetings (that's a stretch, though, I don't really think they have "staff meetings." If they did and they had anyone in charge that had a clue, there would be a LOT more job openings. Not as if they could fill them).

5 ) Probably the most important...you have to relocate to Canada. If you're fond of paved roads, indoor plumbing or the ability to buy underwear in your size without having to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart, then you're screwed. If you're not, then I suggest you get that full frontal lobotomy you were considering and applying for that CEO position at PGI. We could hardly do worse than to have you at the helm.

Edited by Willard Phule, 18 August 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 18 August 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

3 ) Chicks are easy. More specifically, Canadian chicks are easy. If you have even the faintest taint of an accent that is different than theirs, they go crazy for you.....even more so than American chicks go crazy for an Australian/British accent. Take that for what it's worth, but from an ugly...hideously ugly...American dude, I'm here to tell you that I've never failed to get "lucky" when Canadian chicks are concerned.

This might be the only reason to goto Canada.

#16 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

I miss the old shiny yellow skins of the Awesome
Posted Image

That screenshot is dated 6th sep 2012

Then this came
Posted Image
19th Oct 2012

Then obviously all the mechs went noob green and paints came
Posted Image

And finally the UI2.0 version
Posted Image

I do want the missile tubes actually fixed on the Awesomes as that is a srm6 in that tiny launcher in the last image But I got a bad felling when it comes to the energy hardpoints on my 9M

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 18 August 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#17 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostTor6, on 18 August 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Does the awful reskinning of the founder's cat and other mechs count?

Posted Image Before and after.

That USED to be the most beautiful mech in the game. It's what I paid $60 for. I'm still really, really, really cheesed off about that little bait and switch move by PGI.

That skin change sums up how they've treated their original founders, like dirt. It's equivalent to them changing the Gold Timberwolf to a mustard yellow and the Clan pack Daishi to a poop brown scheme.

Edited by 5th Fedcom Rat, 18 August 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#18 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

yes because that quad PPC hunchback is the most amazing thing ever.

And also i want Cataphracts to have the Ultra Autocannon tri-barrels on both arms and rotate when firing and the side torso energy hardpoints turn into a PPC barrel when required.

#19 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 18 August 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

That USED to be the most beautiful mech in the game. It's what I paid $60 for. I'm still really, really, really cheesed off about that little bait and switch move by PGI.

That skin change sums up how they've treated their original founders, like dirt. It's equivalent to them changing the Gold Timberwolf to a mustard yellow and the Clan pack Daishi to a poop brown scheme.

What I hate the most on what they did to the (founder) Catapult was swapping the box launchers to the LRM20 version. Made them bigger, uglier and... umm... wait, I'm still using LRM15's in there anyway... why can't I haz LRM15 box?

Edited by Scratx, 18 August 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#20 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostScratx, on 18 August 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

What I hate the most on what they did to the (founder) Catapult was swapping the box launchers to the LRM20 version. Made them bigger, uglier and... umm... wait, I'm still using LRM15's in there anyway... why can't I haz LRM15 box?

+100000000

Posted Image

Also the fact of having 20 tubes was the special thing of the c4, now its the worst catapult of all

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MATRAKA14, 19 August 2014 - 02:59 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users