Questions From First Day Of Playing

19 replies to this topic

#1 Sentinel069

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hey folks,

I do hope this should not be posted under an already created thread. If so, I apologize; feel free to delete if necessary.

Here are some of the things I either still don't know or had a hard time finding out about on my first day:

1. Does premium time affect cadet bonus? Does the bonus XP stack with trial mech XP bonus?
2. I literally had no idea what to do after the tutorial. I eventually hit play now and jumped into a match. Is this game entirely match-based PVP?
3. Once dead, how do you chat in spectator mode, if possible?
4. Is there a global chat server that I'm missing? Or only match chat?
5. How do I sniper-zoom like I've seen people do while spectating? Is that tied to a specific skill or weapon?
6. While I eventually figured it out two seconds before I died, knowing N would enable nighvision would have been cool.

I was a huge fan of all the old mechwarrior games, and am stoked about this one as well. I hope that I can learn how to pilot a mech better again, though. Thanks in advance.

-Sentinel

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostSentinel069, on 18 August 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Hey folks,

I do hope this should not be posted under an already created thread. If so, I apologize; feel free to delete if necessary.

Here are some of the things I either still don't know or had a hard time finding out about on my first day:

1. Does premium time affect cadet bonus? Does the bonus XP stack with trial mech XP bonus?

Nope, not anymore. Premium time affects your in-game earnings, and the Cadet bonus is now a flat amount per achievement.

2. I literally had no idea what to do after the tutorial. I eventually hit play now and jumped into a match. Is this game entirely match-based PVP?

Yes, there is no PVE yet, and in fact, the next big update should add more to the PVPness of it.

Chat is always enabled, whether dead or alive
T- All Chat
Y- Team Chat
U- Lance Chat (each team is divided into 3 groups of 4 players, known as lances)

No there is no such chat server, you can send PMs to players on your friends list though.

5. How do I sniper-zoom like I've seen people do while spectating? Is that tied to a specific skill or weapon?

Most zooms only go up to 2x. If you have the Advanced Zoom module unlocked, you can get the picture in picture zoom you have witnessed.

Modules can be unlocked using GXP (accumulates every match slowly), and then purchasing the actual module with C-Bills, and equipping it onto your owned mech. However, to do that, first you need to get your own mech. Which you should not even think about, until after collecting your entire cadet bonus (it's only the first 25 matches)

6. While I eventually figured it out two seconds before I died, knowing N would enable nighvision would have been cool.

In-game tips help with that. However, I recommend taking a look at the key bindings int he setting menu. H enables Heat vision btw.

I was a huge fan of all the old mechwarrior games, and am stoked about this one as well. I hope that I can learn how to pilot a mech better again, though. Thanks in advance.

-Sentinel

I'm glad to see you here, these forums will be your best resource to help you with this game. One of the biggest obstacles is that the learning curve for this game is basically the west side of mount Thor (look it up).

However, the new player section is full of people who love helping new players. Many of whom will swarm you soon enough.

EDIT: These are my personal pieces of advice:

1- sarna.net is a great battletech wikia if you are interested in the lore, and other background stuff.

2- mwo.smurfy-net.de is your best online resource for what each mech, weapon, and piece of equipment in the game can do, or does. It also helps you practice mech building with it's very accurate mechlab.

3- Always ask questions here, and tell people you're new in the game, your teammates will be a lot more helpful when they know you're new, and will try to guide you through the match.

4- Pilot every trial mech at least twice or thrice. That should help you get a grasp of the different weight classes, and how they work, and how some mechs handle compared to others.

5- This game is no big on forgiving mistakes (west side of mt. thor and all), so it takes some patience to get into it, and understand the flow.

6- Come to these forums often, especially around patch day (second Tuesday of the month I believe), and always read the patch notes, and ask questions about what you see in there, if you don't understand it.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 18 August 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

At the moment, yes.

This is the "what's to come" over the next few months.

T, Y, and U. T for public, Y for team, U for lance.

Only match chat. Free to play global chats tend to be plagued with spam bots.

"Z" should be the default zoom key. There is a picture in picture zoom, it comes with the "Advanced Zoom" module. Slightly better zooms can be achieved with the cockpit equipment "command console."

"H" is for Thermal (heat) vision.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Welcome to MWO.

1. Does premium time affect cadet bonus?

Yes.

Does the bonus XP stack with trial mech XP bonus?

It stacks with the 2xXP bonus for the first win every day. There is no trial mech-specific XP bonus.

Yes. There is a global campaign setting in the works (also based on PvP). It will come out through the end of the year. Meanwhile, PvP and independent leagues is all we have.

Hit T or Y just like during the match.

Nothing in-game beyond text. Everyone uses community TS servers to group up and chat.

You can not do that. You are literally just spectating what the player does. Note that not everything is rendered in time, so it can look like someone is missing shots even when they actually hit.

Go to settings, fix your key bindings. Do that every time you start playing any FPS game. You will at least have an idea of what is available.

Read some community guides. Check out Smurfy -- a great data resource, and free mech building tool (good to try before buying).

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

This may or may not help with your gameplay beyond the things you asked. Here, I played 5 trial mechs in 5 matches back to back with commentary as I go along.
Spoiler

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,955 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostModo44, on 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

"Does Premium Time affect your Cadet Bonus?"
Yes.

I thought that didn't work any more, now that the bonus is achievement-based, rather than added to your match rewards?

View PostModo44, on 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Go to settings, fix your key bindings. Do that every time you start playing any FPS game. You will at least have an idea of what is available.

This is a life skill for PC gaming. =)

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

I may be wrong on the cadet bonus. I did not make an alt in a long time. :lol:

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostModo44, on 18 August 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

I may be wrong on the cadet bonus. I did not make an alt in a long time. :lol:

It used to be that you could game the cadet bonus with premium time and a hero mech bonus, but they made cadet bonuses flat amounts of money from the achievements, given after leaving the match, and not at the end of the match where premium time, and hero bonus are in effect.

At least, that's how I understand the new implementation to be.

#9 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

A little extra info for OP on 5.

Unlock modules: Click on skill tab (beside mechlab). You will see a list of mech names in the large window. To its left you should see "pilot skill". Click on that to open a window showing all the modules and unlock from there.

Purchase modules: Click on mechlab, click on configure below your mech (must own it). The left menu should have a button "module". Click on it to view purchasable modules.

Modules are expensive. Don't waste your gxp on mechs and save them for modules. You will need cbills for upgrading of your mechs and purchasing equipment, don't spend them on modules until you have spare cbills.

Lastly, don't use the Store tab to purchase your mechs. Do it in the mechlab.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Welcome to MWO! If you have any other questions feel free to ask them on the forum. As you've probably already figured out, this can be a very challenging game, but there is a pretty active community on here that is more than willing to help you out. Know however that once battle is joined those same helpful people can be pretty cut-throat. Please don't take it personally.

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

Surprised nobody mentioned this: If T, Y and U aren't working in spectator mode, press ESC twice, and they will work.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 19 August 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

Surprised nobody mentioned this: If T, Y and U aren't working in spectator mode, press ESC twice, and they will work.

Really? This has come up a few times with me. But in those cases it usually already affected me while my mech was still alive. Will this also work when still active in the game (as opposed to spectating)?

#13 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Here are some questions I suspect you will be asking next:

1) Are Locusts really that bad?
Yes

2) How do I quit getting rolled in matches so bad? Every match seems to end 12 - 2 or worse
Start playing with a team. Forums are great, but if you hop on TeamSpeak, there are MANY groups of friendly players who are willing to help new pilots out.

3) Ok, i bought the oxide, cause it looked awesome, but now I think it sucks!
Don't buy any Hero mechs until your sure you like the chassis in generally. Try some of the other jenners first.

4) Are Clan mechs really OP?
Please don't ask this question unless you want a thread 50 pages long of people flaming each other.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Solutions to the "OP" Clan mech problem. In other words, how to kill them in ways that will have you saying the Inner Sphere is overpowered.
Spoiler

Edit: Wrong video (the second one). Fixed.

Edited by Koniving, 19 August 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Those are some great tips, Kon.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 19 August 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Those are some great tips, Kon.

Thank you.

Clan mechs are really easy to deal with. The only matter to deal with is closing in the range on long range maps. So long as they have range, they can win.

After recent nerfing, the use of targeting computers kinda dwindled with the ER LL nerf which has reduced their long range abilities; even in my own Clan mechs I traded to Clan LPL. Those who haven't made the switch are laughable from the front (even danced in front of one not that long ago before killing it). So a Clan mech not sporting ER PPCs has a range of about 600 to 700 meters typically. So their range is pretty modest. LRM them or close in from the side (not from in front)

Edited by Koniving, 19 August 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#17 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Kinda wondering if anyone has gotten together a rough draft of the clan mech hit boxes yet? The way it sounds once people start understanding how the hit boxes are laid out they will better place their shots on them. When I was running my stormcrows this weekend I did realize that it was tough for people to focus on any of my components, now I know why.

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 19 August 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

Really? This has come up a few times with me. But in those cases it usually already affected me while my mech was still alive. Will this also work when still active in the game (as opposed to spectating)?

The main reason it happens is because your client changed screens while you were in chat, it looks like it's not active, but that's because it is active behind a different "screen", and it's recording your key strokes.. Either pres ESC, or press Enter to print out what you had already typed, and you should have functioning chat again.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostRF Greywolf, on 19 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Kinda wondering if anyone has gotten together a rough draft of the clan mech hit boxes yet? The way it sounds once people start understanding how the hit boxes are laid out they will better place their shots on them. When I was running my stormcrows this weekend I did realize that it was tough for people to focus on any of my components, now I know why.

http://mwomercs.com/...xes-clan-mechs/
This guy doesn't separate front and rear. Sadly.
If he did you'd see just why I run 2 armor on the rear of my Stormcrow.

#20 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 19 August 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

The main reason it happens is because your client changed screens while you were in chat, it looks like it's not active, but that's because it is active behind a different "screen", and it's recording your key strokes.. Either pres ESC, or press Enter to print out what you had already typed, and you should have functioning chat again.

Mechcelent information, thanks IraqiWalker! *insert thumbs-up smiley here*

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users