Dev Vlog #7

162 replies to this topic

#81 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 21 August 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Summoner is 65 ton mech, Cataphract is 70 ton if you are going to compare mechs start with similar tonnage first :D

So more like Jager vs Summoner ... well Jager has better dual weilding balistics but has to use xl or go very slow. Summoner can load up on energy, balistic, or missile options and has jump jets ... so yeah lets compare something of equal value and clan always wins the 65 tonnage catagory (other 65 ton mech is catapult).

Timberwolf 75 tons vs Orion 75 tons ... hmm which one better? Obviously Timber Wolf ... need I go on? Funny, did I try and compare the Orion (a weak chassis) against the Timber Wolf? No?

Now since you probably can't do math being a clanner (not much good for other then ripping limbs off other weaker thinsg) I will show you how they are equal. Cataphracts if you want a balistic varient then you don't get jump jets but you can do nasty dps. If you go 2 ERPPC with AC5 and jump jets well ... standard meta, not bad good build has decent alpha and can cycle through weapons for a decent sustained dps. Summoner has jump jets no matter what. It can also be made into an effective streak, lrm boat like a catapult. But summoner has streak 6s and lrms have no minimum (even though not a lot of damage between 0 and 90 meters). If a summoner goes energy heavy well Summoner always wins with er mediums being what they are. Heck my build was 2 ERPPC in one arm and 2 SRM4s in another arm. Due to the builds ability to jump and manuever I could easily dispers the damage, but I was more for shooting at 300 to 650 meters with the ERPPCs (SRMs where there for show and scare off lights). So yeah I would say even each have their good points and each have bad points (cataphract also has an issue of needing xl and has big side torso hit boxes). WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?!

Well...Summoner is 70 tons. Being a freeborn, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your mother never taught you the difference between 65 and 70. It is hard, I know. Catphract is one of the more XL friendly 'Mechs in the game, due to it's small ST and large arms, so do not bother trying to convince me that it has big ST's. The Summoner lacks enough energy points to go energy heavy, so that is also a poor argument. Yes, you can run meta, but if you run meta, so does the Cataphract, and it does it better (dual gauss, dual mediums) So, really, your argument boils down to this: the Summoner boats missiles. Hooray. I would take dual gauss WITH JUMPJETS over a missile boat any day of the week.

#82 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Everything showed off in this Dev Vlog was awesome! Very happy to see the first stages of Community Warfare taking shape. A point of curiosity: I wonder how many players will be making 1-man units just to have their own designator other than Lone Wolf?

As usual, I'm going to inquire: Will we be seeing more weapons tuning coming to the board after this Community Warfare phase 1 hits? Preferably the poor little Flamer that was promised some love and tuning back in January but was "in the hands of engineering".

Anyway, thank you for the information and I look forward to seeing this all evolve. Some V-Log questions, however: What kinds of planetary details will we be seeing when we gain the ability to click on a planet and see information? General Mech/Weapon/Equipment Factories and/or what they produce? Grades of Defenses? Any Merc or Faction unit that has a claim there? Faction perks for controlling a planet?

#83 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Informative and appreciated. But I'd love for a Dev Vlog to also look further down the line. As it is, by the time you films it, edit it, approve it and upload it, the information is only a week or two from being implemented, or in this case coming out on the same day when 2 of the 3 topics are available to preview on the PTS.

Again, I love the Vlogs and appreciate the effort put into them, but it is a bit of a let down when the info would be public knowledge in 5-14 days anyway (or again, on the same day of release thanks to the Public Test).

Edited by Monsoon, 21 August 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#84 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Bombadil says "various game updates from Paul" and I start shivering...

#85 013

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

I was hoping to see some my all time favorite Mechs be added to the game, (Stone Rhino) (Loki) (MadDog). But I am not sure it will happen, The Lore timeline throws a wrench in every ones hopes & dreams.

#86 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Finally it's getting serious, by the way nice maps. These new maps remind me a bit of Mechcommander 2.

#87 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

So random lore based Q, and I do not know if this has been asked yet, so sorry if it has..
but will the VND-1R be able to actually kneel and dips its ppc barrel into a body of water for a cool down? I know this would make for a unique animation but I think it would go a long way in giving lore a nod and giving this mech a an advantage most meds need without being dependant on a coolant flush.

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 21 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#88 Idalgos

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLipetsk, Russia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

Just a quick thought: if we can't share money with our friends in unit, than we can make something different withing unit. My idea - give high-ranked officers in unit ability to give for rent their own mechs.
So, for example, I have around 80 mechs. But my friend only started playing, and he have only 1 mech. And very soon there will be important fight. As unit commander, I am gonna choose two of my l33tMLG mechs, and my friend pays 25000 C-Bills and uses them for the one fight. That would be cool way to boost new players in CW and try new mechs, even those not covered by trial mechs, IMO.

BTW, nice vlog.

#89 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Awesome transcript Niko! :D

#90 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

Anyone else think the music playing while Paul was demoing the faction map was lifted straight from Mass Effect?

#91 TamerSA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

I hope as they were making the vlog they realized that saying: "And then I can immediately go and remove these ranks to create my own", and then taking 5 minutes to click remove and confirm a bunch of times points out an obvious flaw in that process...

Remove All or check boxes with actions on the selected items would improve this quite a bit. It would also provide a way to apply a set of privileges to a group of ranks.

Otherwise, good things coming :D looking forward to the new map

#92 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

View PostTamerSA, on 22 August 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

I hope as they were making the vlog they realized that saying: "And then I can immediately go and remove these ranks to create my own", and then taking 5 minutes to click remove and confirm a bunch of times points out an obvious flaw in that process...

Remove All or check boxes with actions on the selected items would improve this quite a bit. It would also provide a way to apply a set of privileges to a group of ranks.

Otherwise, good things coming :D looking forward to the new map

That's a flaw I noticed as well. But then I realized, that you can simply use the ranks you need and ignore all the others. There is no downside to that, except that the rank page looks unorganized.

Edited by Egomane, 22 August 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#93 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Casting out voip just to not give a microphone to the ill minded is hurting the MWO community a lot more than it helps.
You can always collect data about how many times a person is muted and make him start always as automuted if he is getting muted more than average.
Simle solution and super effective.

#94 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

View PostEgomane, on 22 August 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

That's a flaw I noticed as well. But then I realized, that you can simply use the ranks you need and ignore all the others. There is no downside to that, except that the rank page looks unorganized.

What I noticed is that Paul must think the mouse-over noises and nag boxes are a good thing, or at least not as annoying as I think they are.

(Edit: and, yes, I have the noises disabled in my UI)

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 22 August 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#95 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Nice work on the dev log, they keep improving with time.

The new map should be a lot of fun! I'm glad to hear that in testing battles happened all over the map.

#96 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 22 August 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

Casting out voip just to not give a microphone to the ill minded is hurting the MWO community a lot more than it helps.

who said they are casting out VOIP?

#97 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:32 AM

Some suggestions:
  • Functionality - PGI - Add checkboxes to the ranks so the leader can erase or move more than one at each time.
  • New map - The new map looks... well... new with lots of buildings already seen on other maps. Try to prevent this to become a trend so they don't get the feel of being somewhat boring at some level.
  • Planets - About the planets info, I just hope there is someone on PGI's staff looking at the various planets characteristics and compiling them so there can be some maps made to suit the actual planet, whichever it may be.

Thanks

#98 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 21 August 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

behave yourself Judge or i will ear bash you on TS the next time where on :D

now on topic, looks good, sounds good, fingers crossed for xmas i have 2 new maps and a working CW.

P.s. now that the maps are recycling items from other maps, will we start to see more maps appear? Like as in another 6-8 soonish once CW is where you want it?

all they need to do is expand the ones they have then cut them into Forrest colony A B C ect

#99 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

New map is really cool. Like has been stated in the VLog, it feels complete different compared to existing maps. Stunning visuals. Very atmospheric. Might become my favourite map.

About the Vindicator, i'd like to add, that balancing should trump cannon, and engine caps of 235 just don't cut it for 45t mechs. Also the 1AA exchanged speed for armor. In MWO it has the same max armor value as the others, but the others are hampered with a slow engine rating. If i can't outrun a 75t Timberwolf with a 45t mech, why bother fielding it in the first place? BlackJack has at least the high mounted arms going for it.

Faction stuff is nice, although won't change much in terms of gameplay for now, but something to build upon for CW, so thumbs up here as well!

Good to see weapon modules get some love, but i honestly still don't like the module system. No role warfare at all.

#100 Dano_man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

I understand the ideal of the mech unit coffers and really like that, but will this be the tool to eventually buy the merc company's dropships instead of 12 members coughing up 18.88M cbills? If so that is a great step forward, means everyone in the company can contribute without taxing only a few, or that those who have vast sums of cbills can pay in what they feel they want to.

Would like to hear even some preliminary stuff on the dropships and how that is going to work. It has been quite awhile since we last heard something and there have been some significant changes since.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users