#41 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostCayp, on 14 September 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Yeah, right, it's the most important data in MWO traffic.
What about half second late for weapon triggering ar simple mech position? Reaallly scaary!
But wait, you are OK with it now! /sarcasm

Then why IK data is more important and harder to sync than any other?

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 14 September 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

...Atlas does the Can-can.

Chill out dude, we all want the feet that walk on the surface, it's not me saying you can't have them, I'm just theorising why PGI took it out. Maybe it was a massive mess of disjointed code, and the coders working on improving the netcode couldn't be bothered to put in the hours? The reason is pretty moot now, as we won't be getting it back. It's not on the table, it's not even in the room - it crawled under a bridge miles away and tucked itself in for the night with cardboard but didn't notice that the floodwaters were rising.

#42 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

If I had to take a guess I would say the crappy animations has to do with the game using CryEngine instead of something more proprietary and/or actually well-suited to a mech combat game, but that's also just kind of a blanket excuse for a number of issues in the game so who knows if better animations are viable in more capable hands or not.

#43 Cayp

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKGD

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostPjwned, on 15 September 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

If I had to take a guess I would say the crappy animations has to do with the game using CryEngine instead of something more proprietary and/or actually well-suited to a mech combat game, but that's also just kind of a blanket excuse for a number of issues in the game so who knows if better animations are viable in more capable hands or not.

Good guess. But there is one big NO.

CryEngine is specially designed for modern online games, even MMO.
And also CryEngine have good physics model. Take a look at this book for example: https://www.packtpub...e-3-fun-physics . Or look at some CryEngine physics demo - they are awesome!
Also CryEngine good for cross-platform game because its already ported and it's very flexible.
It's a really good choice. I cannot blame CryEngine for poor animation.

#44 Cayp

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKGD

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

The aswer was:

View PostKarl Berg, on 15 September 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I haven't investigated this myself yet, so I can't give you a solid answer at this time. There are some pretty high priority tasks that we have to take care of with critical importance. Once things have calmed down though, I would love to revisit this feature myself to determine the exact technical issues surrounding its' reintroduction to the game.

So... nobody buried it!
And, for now, it's not a lostech!

Only people that talking that this is a losttech burying it.

Edited by Cayp, 16 September 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#45 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

Leg movement and animation.

Am I the only one using F4 from time to time?

because the Adder seems to have a broken left leg, it strangely behaves compared to the right one. It seems to bend too much to the middle.

Also some other clanmechs seem to have very minor not mirrored leg movements that seem to be slightly icorrect animations.

and TBR legs horribly clip into the Torso when walking. Some clanmechs when the player looks upwards in his mech clip heavily into the Torso. kinda very ugly.

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 September 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#46 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

I think the animations look ok, it gets across that your piloting big stompy bots. I'm sure that they could add more detailed animation if they wanted to, but it seems some of the features from the game that were removed caused a lot of network problems, wonder if more detailed animation would add to the problems...

#47 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

On the subject of animations with the announcement of more clan mechs I thought of the awful animations that mechs like the Kitfox and Direwolf have, and really hope they do a better job with the new ones (really wish they would redo the ones the current clan mechs already have but that might be asking too much)

As they are now it seems like they have no weight, particularly noticeable on the Direwolf, since it should be so heavy.

#48 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

what if PGI sold alternate leg animations.

prancing dire wolf. 500 MC
lurching dire wolf 500 MC
shambling dire wolf 500 MC
trudging dire wolf 500 MC

#49 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostKhobai, on 16 September 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

I think prancing came stock :P

Seriously though, animations for purchase might not be a bad idea, would be an interesting way differentiate your mech. But first they need decent base animations.

#50 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostKhobai, on 16 September 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

I would pay good MC to have the walk that the Wolverine has in the concept art. You could sneak up to an assault mech, and core it out from the back, then walk away without looking back at the explosion as it fell over behind you B)

I too would appreciate a second pass on some of the clan mech animations. It looks particularly bad when you first start out walking from the drop point (with all your teammates walking in front of you) it lets you directly compare them to some of the really nice IS mech walking animations. They of course draw even more attention to themselves on uneven ground.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users