Pgi, Do You Have The Right To Create New Mechs?

BattleMechs

52 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

The Hellbringer is clearly a mech that closely resembles the Warhammer, yet HG is fine with it due to enough difference in design and designation. So that got me thinking, can PGI perhaps introduce the Warhammer to MWO in the future with different look, name, and back story? (perhaps as an IS design influenced by the invading Clan Hellbies?) Cause those hardpoints are the sexiest I have seen in an IS heavy so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or you can just release the Hammerhands but its hardpoints are less sexy.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#2 A Man In A Can

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Your title is misleading....

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

yeah, gotta admit I read that the wrong way.

Nevertheless...if Piranha could introduce the Harmony Gold Phoenix 'Mechs, except with: different names, shapes, hitboxes, and histories...would that actually satisfy people who want, like, a Marauder, or a Phoenix Hawk, and not a Starfish Alien version of a marauder or a Phoenix Hawk?

You gotta tread real carefully around TT purists, mang...

#4 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

I thought only the visual likeness was prohibited. Everything else like name, hit boxes and back story would seem to be BT IP.

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

View Post1453 R, on 17 September 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

yeah, gotta admit I read that the wrong way.

Nevertheless...if Piranha could introduce the Harmony Gold Phoenix 'Mechs, except with: different names, shapes, hitboxes, and histories...would that actually satisfy people who want, like, a Marauder, or a Phoenix Hawk, and not a Starfish Alien version of a marauder or a Phoenix Hawk?

You gotta tread real carefully around TT purists, mang...

I for one, want my Archer renamed and redesigned, but available, than not here at all. :)

#6 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

To me it's no compromises. We either get Unseen as they should be, or we get nothing and finally form an angry lynch mob to visit Harmony Gold)

#7 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 17 September 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

I thought only the visual likeness was prohibited. Everything else like name, hit boxes and back story would seem to be BT IP.

This. I never thought HG cared much about the names (I doubt they actually understand it anyway), only the visual designs.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 17 September 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

This. I never thought HG cared much about the names (I doubt they actually understand it anyway), only the visual designs.

Then why is PGI not releasing those $$$ making mechs even though there are plenty of alternate designs floating around?

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#9 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

The sad part is, is that we have art for these mechs once they became Reseen. Meaning we have art for all the HG mechs that HG cannot touch.

BUT, PGI has said there's "not enough interest" in the reseen designs.

Worse still, there are SOME mechs in MWO right now, that I can proxy to get the mechs I want, like Proxying a CTF 3D into a standard Marauder... [2ppc 2mlas 1AC5] And you know what, in the right situation, that mech wrecks people.

But it's not the same... it's not a marauder... an I'd be 100% happy with reworked, reseen designs of these mechs. You have offical, useable art assets for the Reseen, why do you keep avoiding them PGI...

#10 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Then why is PGI not releasing those $$$ making mechs even though there are plenty of alternate designs floating around?

That's a good question.

The Names "Warhammer, Marauder, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp" are not under contention. Though it's possible that HG has them flagged somehow that if they get released, they mobilize because those names are tied to the art designs of the Tomahawk Destroid, Officer Pod, and Veritech Fighters respectively from past cases.

At the end of the day, the problem sits with the fact that PGI is afraid of even coming close to causing a wave that might sic HG's lawyer team on them.

#11 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 17 September 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

That's a good question.

The Names "Warhammer, Marauder, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp" are not under contention. Though it's possible that HG has them flagged somehow that if they get released, they mobilize because those names are tied to the art designs of the Tomahawk Destroid, Officer Pod, and Veritech Fighters respectively from past cases.

At the end of the day, the problem sits with the fact that PGI is afraid of even coming close to causing a wave that might sic HG's lawyer team on them.

I could see that...last thing PGI needs is spending money to fight off the initial probes of a possibly over zealous HG legal team. But then again, maybe PGI could talked to HG first...keeping them in the loop so HG doesnt get their legal war machine fired up.

I can't imagine HG going after PGI if they are made aware of PGI's intentions not to encroach on HG's IP.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 17 September 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

Then why is PGI releasing the Hellbringer, which heavily resembles the Warhammer/Tomahawk Destroid?

I'm confused. :huh:

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#13 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Or they could just give the Hellbringer FF and ES and it would be a fairly decent mech :P

#14 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

Part of the problem is that the details of the settlement were sealed and confidential under the agreement between FASA and HG, so for most new companies who took on the Mechwarrior / Battletech it was just easier to steer clear of the "Unseen" all together or risk violating the terms of a decades old settlement, which no one knows the rules in said settlement, except the people who are not allowed to talk about it.

Good ole American copyright law at it's finest.

EDIT: At least their crappy Kickstart campaign failed miserably :P

Edited by Griggio, 17 September 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#15 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Then why is PGI releasing the Hellbringer, which heavily resembles the Warhammer/Tomahawk Destroid?

Magic?

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostKhobai, on 17 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Or they could just give the Hellbringer FF and ES and it would be a fairly decent mech :P

I am on the IS side, and we want our 70 ton Archer, 70 ton Warhammer, and 75 ton Marauder to even the field against the Clans. Plus they will sell like hot cakes. ;)

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#17 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hellbringer was never even close to the Warhammer. It has gun pods that resemble the Summoner/Thor more closely than the Warhammer.

Classic Warhammer Battlemech

Posted Image

Hellbringer Omnimech
Posted Image

Warhammer Reseen
Posted Image

Summoner
Posted Image

Most humanoid battlemechs share similarity with boxy feet/legs and the like. In fact, in one of the initial court instances, Harmony Gold attempted to claim rights to ALL Humanoid style Mecha...The court laughed at that one.

#18 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

The Hellbringer is clearly a mech that closely resembles the Warhammer, yet HG is fine with it due to enough difference in design and designation. So that got me thinking, can PGI perhaps introduce the Warhammer to MWO in the future with different look, name, and back story? (perhaps as an IS design influenced by the invading Clan Hellbies?) Cause those hardpoints are the sexiest I have seen in an IS heavy so far.

Posted Image

That missile pod would be ripped off at the start of virtually every match, and gods forbid it be tied to the side torso like the TW's pods.

Random sidenote, I had a Warhammer 10 inch action figure thing when I was very young and didn't know what it was until many years later when I got into BT, always loved the look of the thing.

#19 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'm confused. :huh:

My guess would be that the Hellbringer is unique enough that going to court wouldn't be a surefire win for them. It's just more cost effective to sit on the on designs they already nailed down then try for new ones.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostGriggio, on 17 September 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

My guess would be that the Hellbringer is unique enough that going to court wouldn't be a surefire win for them. It's just more cost effective to sit on the on designs they already nailed down then try for new ones.

Then theoretically PGI has no fear of being sued if they redesign and rename the mech while keeping the original hardpoints, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users