Pgi, Do You Have The Right To Create New Mechs?

BattleMechs

52 replies to this topic

#41 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostBlakkstar, on 18 September 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

The original designs are not coming back. Catalyst (the owners of Battletech TT) stated in 2009 that they made a new effort to negotiate for the rights and were turned down by HG. While the Mechs still exist in canon and tech readouts, they no longer appear in the TT boxed set, nor are they referred to in any new fiction or rulebooks. Not retconned, but basically confined to the annals of history.

There are alternate designs for the original unseen, however it's questionable if including them would satisfy anybody. It doesn't matter once you're in the cockpit, but this is the "Marauder". Obviously and intentionally, none of the redesigns bear much resemblance to the originals.

Posted Image

I'll ride it. Once I'm inside it doesn't matter.

Wait...was that a sex joke?

#42 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 September 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

I'll ride it. Once I'm inside it doesn't matter.

Wait...was that a sex joke?

If it was... Was the joke on you? :lol:

#43 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

View PostFiremage, on 17 September 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

I do find it funny that the Japanese right's holder won't even talk to HG anymore. But due to how poorly writen the contracts where in the 80s we can't just go talk to Studio Nue / Satelight for the rights. Nor are any domestic (US/CA) companies willing to fight the fight in court to liberate the macross license from HG even with a japanese court ruling that could help them do it.

I wonder how much a lawsuit would cost.

I wonder if you can Kickstarter a lawsuit to get the unseen released... I kinda doubt it but the idea or it amuses me.

#44 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 18 September 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

I wonder how much a lawsuit would cost.

I wonder if you can Kickstarter a lawsuit to get the unseen released... I kinda doubt it but the idea or it amuses me.

I don't know. I'm pretty sure Harmony Gold's entire business operation is a building full of lawyers that sits around all day hating Battletech and its players, then taking their Robotech licensing agreement out of a drawer every so often to polish it with a diaper.

#45 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 17 September 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

BUT, PGI has said there's "not enough interest" in the reseen designs.

Wait, when did they say that?

Folks are constantly crying for the Marauder, the Warhammer, the Marauder, the Rifleman, the Marauder, the Archer, the Marauder, and many of the other lighter mechs. (Guess which one I see requested the most?)

Me, I loved the Crusader in TT, would love an MWO one. Same with the Phoenix Hawk (only time appropriate fast 45 toner, which is strange, but it was so good they didn't need another). And I wouldn't mind the Marauder or the others either.

No, They simply said it wasn't happening, and likely due to legal cost issues surrounding them. In particular, the Marauder is a hot topic with HG, and HG is hot to sue.

#46 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Then theoretically PGI has no fear of being sued if they redesign and rename the mech while keeping the original hardpoints, right?

But why would folks who want these mechs still want them if they're not the mechs that they know and love?

I mean, yeah, they might sell regularly, but you couldn't really start a pack for them.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 17 September 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

That missile pod would be ripped off at the start of virtually every match, and gods forbid it be tied to the side torso like the TW's pods.

Random sidenote, I had a Warhammer 10 inch action figure thing when I was very young and didn't know what it was until many years later when I got into BT, always loved the look of the thing.

It's funny you should mention this.

One thing I've always thought is that instead of random crits, hitting a specific part of a specific mech (such as the launcher) might damage a limited amount of the mech's armor but I feel it should crit-chance the weapon inside. So I want to disable your SRM launcher. There it is floating up in the air. It's away from you, so it's not like its ammo explosion would surge all that badly. But I hit it, crit it, and now it's broken. One crit disables an SRM-6 (meaning it needs to be repaired in BT). Two crits on it destroys it completely (meaning it must be replaced in BT), which in my opinion should completely remove it from the hitbox altogether until repaired. And if removed entirely, well then it's gone.

Of course, I have a bit of a War Thunder binge as of late. Aim for the barrel of the weapon to disable it. Aim for the joint to reduce its mobility. Aim for the foot actuator to make absorbing those landings a bit more difficult. Aim for the jumpjets themselves to disable them directly. Aim for the ammo racks to destroy them.

And for custom made mechs that slap on extra ammo...
Standard Kitfox with standard ammo count.
Posted Image

Lets just pretend this one packed a lot of extra ammo.
Posted Image
Now. Obviously I wouldn't make it that blatantly easy to hit and instead would have it angled differently, but... You get the idea.

#48 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

They should just go totally freedom, and create their own unique designs for the names.

#49 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

For those who say that the looks don't matter, you can be happy in Cataphract, imagining it's a Marauder, it's possible to do an identical build on its base. But for me it wouldn't make a Marauder out of Cataphract)

#50 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostDuncan Jr Fischer, on 18 September 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

For those who say that the looks don't matter, you can be happy in Cataphract, imagining it's a Marauder, it's possible to do an identical build on its base. But for me it wouldn't make a Marauder out of Cataphract)

Cataphract does not have high mounted Torso weapon, nor it weighs 75 tons. I am not calling for totally new remake but a similar design, since apparently Hellbringer is different enough not to get sued by HG.

#51 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

I think people need to get over the HG mechs NOTHING will change unless the US copyright laws are remade/changed in way that stop trolls been able to grab every thing and sit and do nothing.

PGI has changed so much all ready i think its time to open the doors and just make up new Mechs and if need be rework every weapon.

There is little point trying to stick to the lore given how much has been reworked to make it playable say reason is now holding the game back more or less chains it down and stops it been able to fully grow as it could.

#52 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

I thought he Orion was a warhammer replacement, it has the two gun barrel arms and a big 'ole missile hump.

#53 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 September 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

Cataphract does not have high mounted Torso weapon, nor it weighs 75 tons. I am not calling for totally new remake but a similar design, since apparently Hellbringer is different enough not to get sued by HG.

You can make a MArauge out of an Orion. It's the same weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users