#401 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

*munches popcorn*
Sorry I'm late guys. Whats going on in here? Say, does anyone have any anecdotal evidence salt.

#402 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostVandul, on 26 August 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

*munches popcorn*
Sorry I'm late guys. Whats going on in here? Say, does anyone have any anecdotal evidence salt.

Posted Image ;)

#403 Mainerd

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationon a reclining chair so don't ask me to type

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

The whole sync drop thing is created by the solo drop only requirement of the challenge. PGI is forcing people to play a way that the don't want to.

How bad would you solo droppers scream if next weekends challenge is 10 wins that only count if you drop in a full 12-man group?

#404 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

There isn't anything wrong with sync dropping. It isn't a reliable thing. For those 4 guys who happened to get the same team 12 others dropped as well. Also more often than not some of them end up on the other side. Now I don't know about you but I am not one to roll over and die for anyone. If they need one more win then that's just too bad for them. Also since you are in the same TS channel as the people who you synced with that are on the other side you really cant say what you are doing because then they know and they can ambush you and get the kill/win. So lets see you talk about random topics while you drop because both sides can listen in and for the most part its all for fun. Heck I know for one of the tournaments we did this and I was alone on one team against 8 of my friends. My team won because it was time for them to hunt me down and while I died, they overextended to get me. So you see sync dropping isn't the big bad wolf. Also I know that some of you guys denying it have done it and know about it. Yet again though it isn't to get an advantage. It is to have fun dropping with a random group of friends and seeing who you get to kill that you know. I know it's even more fun when you place bounties on each others heads. Then everyone who did sync just wants to get that person with the bounty on the other side. Now I'm sure some people do it for an "advantage" but really it is way too unreliable for a real advantage and as I've said more often than not you end up hunting each other the whole game to the detriment of your own mechs detriment. This whole thread really is to get people mad and I'll admit I got a good chuckle out of it. Then it just turns into the same old things over and over again. There isn't anything wrong with it and from my experience I end up with people I don't know more often than the people I am trying to sync with. I will be in the same game as some random guy 10 times in a row sometimes. I know you guys have had this same thing happen. Also there is the whole I dropped 5 minutes ago and that guy just dropped and we still ended up in the same game. Because of this if they implement a mechanic that looks at when people start searching and end up in a game together then it really will turn into everyone having to create a whole bunch of accounts just to play because the mm decided to put them with the same guy a whole bunch of times. Its going to happen so you need to deal with it and move on. I already know that this post will be twisted and warped for both sides to say look at this this proves my point. Ya no its actually criticizing both of you and supporting neither. It isn't something you can fix and I would rather not see PGI try to "fix" something that doesn't need fixed. Well that is all I have to say.

#405 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostSandpit, on 26 August 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Just hit the report button dude, that takes care of it and the rest of us can continue having an adult conversation

The point I was attempting to make was that his statement, was by definition a violation of the CoC. And that if Sync Dropping was a violation of the CoC, as OP claims I'm pretty sure that one of the several times that a PGI rep has been on the Marik TS server saying hi it would have come up. I'm pretty sure it's even happened during a MMM event.

The fact that several groups have, from open beta at least, hosted sync drop events of various sorts and been very open in advertising them tells me that sync dropping as we do it is not a violation.

Now my question to you Mud is this. When I have time in my evening to do a drop or two and I see in my match a couple friends, am I cheating by hopping on TS and chatting with them during the match? We didn't intentionally sync drop but you get the same result. What about a group of players all in the same channel, just leveling mechs, playing with new builds and dropping at their own pace and sometimes ending up in the same match? Have you considered that the vast majority of players dropping in the solo queue that are also on voice coms are not interested in pug stomping, or playing competitively. That all we want is to chat it up with some friends while driving big stompy robots. So we drop solo and if a friend is in the match great, if not we are still on coms having a good time being social, and that's the whole point of a team game for us.

Some of us do not appreciate being told that we are exploiters akin to those that use aimbots or intentionally up our ping to d-sync with the server so we can't be hit reliably or any other actual method of cheating.

#406 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostQuackAttack, on 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Some of us do not appreciate being told that we are exploiters akin to those that use aimbots or intentionally up our ping to d-sync with the server so we can't be hit reliably or any other actual method of cheating.

Thank you for stating this. I entirely agree. I enjoy the randomness of the sync dropping myself. I enjoy mixing up who is on my side every match and who I am facing. Then again I play orks in warhammer and they are the definition of random, or they were anyway. The point is we aren't the evil people that we are being accused of here. I know that most of these people probably won't listen because they don't understand that just running around, blowing stuff up, and getting blown up while having a conversation can be fun. I do admit some people probably try to gain an advantage, but I am going to say that not all of us do. The reason we do it in the Seraphim and in the Monday Marik Madness is because it is fun. If you were to go to one of these you would see that, but since it is evil and you are soooo against it you probably wont. I know in the Seraphim most of the time we are talking about our odd mech builds, a problem that someone might be having, something funny that happened at work or school, religion, or if our Colonel is in the match the chatter sounds like this "Where is he? Does anyone see him yet? I really want those points. THERE HE IS! HE IS ALPHA TIMBERWOLF! GET HIM! Watch out there are 10 other mechs over there! I don't care he's cored I can get him! Ooops apparently I couldn't.... Dang why did some random guy get to kill him why couldn't we have gotten him. Ok we can get him next game." This is pretty normal. Except that it is normally a few minutes long instead of a few sentences. Our competitive and noncompetitive players get a kick out of it because its fun. We have younger and newer people and people with bad computers that are just happy to drop and chat with someone without having to worry about being trolled. Of course this apparently makes all of us evil according to you guys because sync dropping is only done with the malicious intent of gaining an advantage. Well I am probably getting a little too fired up about this so I apologize if I have offended anyone. I just don't like being accused of cheating when in reality it is just to have a good time. If I wanted to win and get lots of kills I wouldn't sync drop with a 2 flamer Spider 5V and see how many of my friends I can jump on while being shot at.

#407 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Same question, Why can't you guys do the same in the group queue with a bunch of 2-3mans?

"we're just doing it to have fun"

So why is it fun in solo, but not in group? I mean there is no advantage according to you guys. So why?

Lets exclude the contests since that is all on PGI as far as I'm concerned.

One of the advocates above (from Serephim also?) says its because the group queue is too competitive and that's not a fun place apparently. Others haven't seen this or had the issue of not being able to have fun in the group queue (like me).

I didn't call it a cheat, but gaming the system. If they want groups over there and solos over here, and you sync drop to get a group over here, it is gaming the system. right or wrong.

I agree I don't see this a a big problem, but some have admitted to doing it so does happen.

#408 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostVandul, on 26 August 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

*munches popcorn*

Nope. We only have Slap Ya Mama here.

#409 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

We can and have done it with groups. Its more fun to be with different teammates each time imo. That is his opinion. I like groups quite a bit, but it is fun to once or twice a week get 30-40 people in a channel and basically see who can kill each other in game first. It is fun to switch who your teammates are every round and know that there will be someone you know on both sides (or a good bit of the time as it doesnt always work well). I enjoy the randomness of it all. Plus you get to relax because we are all just goofing around and hanging out. Normally we don't even talk strategy. It just breaks up the monotony of it all a little. Yes we are technically bringing a group to it, but the other side normally has it as well. I can't say nobody tries to game it, but for us we work probably harder to win it just to try and best some of the people we know. We could probably do it in the group queue with a whole bunch of groups, but if you look at it with 40 people we rarely get more than 4 of us in one match. It is just a lot harder to drop against each other in the group queue. And before someone just tells us to use the private matches, we don't want to do a 12 man. Sometimes they just aren't as enjoyable. For smaller matches you need premium time which not everyone has. Yes we could pay for some, but why should we have to pay to enjoy a f2p game? I can see why some people would mind if we were taking advantage of the lack of comms on the other side, but honestly the comm chatter has gotten me killed a lot too. It can get distracted having a serious or comical discussion in the middle of a match. Basically it is more fun in the solo because you are more likely to drop with/against someone you know and the groups change up each time without having to take the time each match to do it. Besides it is fun to see no one on your side and 8 of your buddies on the other side. Definitely makes you try harder to win the match.

Also RussianWolf thank you for responding after thinking for a minute. It is just something different than the usual play and honestly if you can try and get someone to do it with and just have fun. If you do you will see (I do not recommend it if you are grinding though) It might technically be gaming the system although I always thought that for that to apply you have to be gaining some sort of advantage.

#410 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 August 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Frankly, I kinda thought this was the case all along.

I'm slow that way, or giving people the benefit of the doubt... yeah, well... not perfect. Don't sue. :blink:

#411 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostQuackAttack, on 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

The point I was attempting to make was that his statement, was by definition a violation of the CoC. And that if Sync Dropping was a violation of the CoC, as OP claims I'm pretty sure that one of the several times that a PGI rep has been on the Marik TS server saying hi it would have come up. I'm pretty sure it's even happened during a MMM event.

The fact that several groups have, from open beta at least, hosted sync drop events of various sorts and been very open in advertising them tells me that sync dropping as we do it is not a violation.

Now my question to you Mud is this. When I have time in my evening to do a drop or two and I see in my match a couple friends, am I cheating by hopping on TS and chatting with them during the match? We didn't intentionally sync drop but you get the same result. What about a group of players all in the same channel, just leveling mechs, playing with new builds and dropping at their own pace and sometimes ending up in the same match? Have you considered that the vast majority of players dropping in the solo queue that are also on voice coms are not interested in pug stomping, or playing competitively. That all we want is to chat it up with some friends while driving big stompy robots. So we drop solo and if a friend is in the match great, if not we are still on coms having a good time being social, and that's the whole point of a team game for us.

Emphasis mine
Posted Image

#412 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

It doesn't really matter if you dislike being called cheaters and exploiters when you in fact cheat and exploit though.

If you don't want to be thought of that way, then you shouldn't do those things.

#413 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Because I'm the sort of freak who likes to know what I'm talking about before i go chiming off too much on it ie emailed support. They said yes, sync dropping is against the rules and can be reported and is subject to punishment. They said they would nudge a community support guy to come clear that up.

I recommend everyone discussing their sync dropping exploits go scrub their posts before the cops show up.

NARC. Works on Caustic, Alpine, Forest and the forums!

#414 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I ended up dropping with a friend twice unintentionally. Once as an Ally and once as an enemy. We used voice comms just to banter at each other. Does this make me a cheater cheater Pumpkin eater?

#415 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

Identifying sync drops via logs isn't going to be difficult. Ending up in the same match 2 times one night isn't what's being discussed.

#416 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I was being sarcastic

#417 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

You can't do that here. Many of the arguments being used are so bad they can't be distinguished from trolling.

#418 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

from now on I'll do the #Sarcasm thing. That's what we use now right? The Pound key next to a word?

#419 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

The cool kids use £, cuz that pound is MONEY. That works though.

Anyone else want to share some examples of them sync dropping? Please include names, dates, mech you were in and the map you dropped on. Just for anecdotal purposes :-P

#420 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

It's funny now with the unit tags when you see folks doing this.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users