• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 August 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Look over the history of MWO, do you honestly think they're going to tell customers they can't use their $240 or even $500 clan mechs?

One can Hope ^_^

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 August 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

One can Hope ^_^

lol I can hope as well but realistically I just don't see it happening

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Posted ImageSandpit!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#24 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 August 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Posted ImageSandpit!

I'm just being realistic. PGI has set themselves up for failure in this regard. By launching the clan "invasion" before CW, they've just added a new tech that SHOULD have been restricted but can't now because it's just another faction with no distinction between any other faction in the game.

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just because one is set up to fail does not mean they must. ^_^

#26 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 August 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Just because one is set up to fail does not mean they must. ^_^

I hope you're right but that means a couple of things

first, i'll never buy a clan mech, ever. No point if I have to leave IS side (which is why I think you can see where the "i want a refund" threads would come from)

second, that cuts down on the number of people who would buy things like inevitable clan hero mechs.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 August 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

I hope you're right but that means a couple of things

first, i'll never buy a clan mech, ever. No point if I have to leave IS side (which is why I think you can see where the "i want a refund" threads would come from)

second, that cuts down on the number of people who would buy things like inevitable clan hero mechs.

I have only one situation where I will buy a Clan Mech. Once its 3060ish and IF we get a Stone Rhino.

#28 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

I have seen mechs stacked on top of each other in the game so totem mechs exist.

#29 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 August 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

so you think PGI is really going to tell all those IS players who spent $240 on clan packs that they can't use their clan mechs? you think you've seen forum meltdowns and "I want a refund" threads spammed before? That meltdown would make all of the others combined look like a tupperware party.

Well, yes, I hope so. I understand certain players might be angry over that, but those are the sort of players that didn't think through the massive amount of cash they spent.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see PGI allow the creation of actual proper RPG style characters for CW. Maybe have two slots, so you could have both a Clan and an IS character. As it is, there probably isn't going to be proper economy and inventories in CW, simply because it wouldn't work in a F2P game. CW isn't going to simulate a proper 'CW' at all, just a different banner to play the same arena combat. Hence, I hate F2P. :ph34r:

#30 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Just tell everyone to pick a Primary Faction, then pick a Secondary Faction (from the _other_ side), then whichever mech you use, you have a faction associated with it.

Problem solved?

#31 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostScratx, on 23 August 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

Just tell everyone to pick a Primary Faction, then pick a Secondary Faction (from the _other_ side), then whichever mech you use, you have a faction associated with it.

Problem solved?

not really, I'm in Marik. That means I wanted to play as Marik. That doesnt' mean I wanted to play as Marik when PGi felt it woudl be "ok" for me to play as Marik. That's the point. There are a lot of players who are going to be PISSED if PGI says something like that or puts any kind of restrictions on when and where they can use their $240 shinies. That's why I don't see PGI being able to restrict tech like that.
If they do, I'll definitely be using my al bundy gif a lot for the first few weeks when a sh*t storm THAT size hits the forums.

#32 The Great Bear

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

:D i just want a totem mech its not even omni.

#33 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostSandpit, on 23 August 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

not really, I'm in Marik. That means I wanted to play as Marik. That doesnt' mean I wanted to play as Marik when PGi felt it woudl be "ok" for me to play as Marik. That's the point. There are a lot of players who are going to be PISSED if PGI says something like that or puts any kind of restrictions on when and where they can use their $240 shinies. That's why I don't see PGI being able to restrict tech like that.
If they do, I'll definitely be using my al bundy gif a lot for the first few weeks when a sh*t storm THAT size hits the forums.

Then it's impossible to keep IS players from using clan mechs when fighting for the Inner Sphere and vice versa.

Unless the common matches all count as Solaris and you must use faction appropriate mechs in CW matches, there's no reasonable way to enforce clan vs IS while ensuring player factions match the side they're on.

#34 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,773 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Considering all Totem mechs are Second Line battlemechs within the clans (what qualifies as a totem mech has been argued to death by BT nerds, and Nova Cats and Timber Wolfs are not it), I doubt this will happen since most don't get enough variants to qualify until the beginning of the Jihad.

#35 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostScratx, on 24 August 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Then it's impossible to keep IS players from using clan mechs when fighting for the Inner Sphere and vice versa.

Unless the common matches all count as Solaris and you must use faction appropriate mechs in CW matches, there's no reasonable way to enforce clan vs IS while ensuring player factions match the side they're on.

I agree, that's why I don't see it happening

#36 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

View Postverybad, on 23 August 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I doubt they'll make the Kodiak, probably NOBODY would buy a 100 ton clan mech with a maximum engine, non omni stuff like variable internals and armor 9 energy slots, 2 missile and one engine. and jets on at lest one variant.

In some instances, the Totem mechs are already in for many clans.

Wolf-Timerwolf.
Jade Falcon-Summoner
Smoke Jaguar- Dire Wolf (they captured the design from Wolf, but the Smokes LOVE this design.

I thought the Mad Dog was the favoured mech of Smoke Jaguar.

#37 Koryitsu

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

http://www.sarna.net...otem_BattleMech

Funny thing is, even these guys can't seem to agree on what is and what isnt.

Edited by Koryitsu, 24 August 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#38 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,773 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostMcHarg, on 24 August 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

I thought the Mad Dog was the favoured mech of Smoke Jaguar.

Mad Dog was created by Smoke Jaguar, but favored by Ghost Bear (though almost all Clans made and used them regularly).

Either way, the official CBT definition of Totem Mech (despite what Sarna says) is that unless the TRO explicitly states it is a Totem mech, it is NOT a Totem mech. Which means there are no Omni totems at least until the Balius, maybe, not sure on whether it actually was or not.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 24 August 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#39 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostSandpit, on 24 August 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I agree, that's why I don't see it happening

There's also another reason we'd never really see faction restrictions, PGI would somehow screw up the balance to the point that there's atleast 1-2 factions that are much more favorable than the others, and the mech leveling system would also be another reason.

#40 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I wouldn't expect a non-omni clan mech for a while.

Why?

Current system has non-omni mechs can change everything but their hardpoints, While Omnimechs offer customizable hard points and quirks but you can't change the engine, armor type, of internal structure, and that lack of customization helps keep the clans in (somewhat) balance. Throw out a non-omni light clan mech, and you'll see all IS lights go away. Same with most other mech weight classes.

Who knows, if they ever balance clan tech vs IS tech better, it might be easier to see.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users