#101 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:06 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 30 August 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

ah, the perennial discussion of Assault LRM boats. NO, Assaults should never be LRM boats. It's not about whether they can do it but the opportunity costs of having Assault LRM boats.

Assaults have the heaviest armor and can pack the most firepower. LRM boating wastes both of these. Meaning you are not only costing your team a tank but also a damage dealer.

LRM platforms should be left to Heavies or Mediums who have the mobility to displace to better firing positions. Assaults should be in the front providing distractions/tank and/or punching people's faces in

In short, if you want to LRM boat, play a Catapult or a Jagermech-A or a SHD/GRF/TBT

Addendum: Stalkers are fantastic tankers.

I see no problem in having LRM assault mechs, They provide the highest payload of firepower which can dwarf anything a catapult or griffon can have. Mechs like the awesome is not really fit for close combat, I would rather have one with "LRM 60" (4 x LRM 15) instead of some random build using pulse lasers and SRM's. I have never seen an SRM awesome get over 300 damage in a public match.

But I have seen LRM awesome and other assault LRM mechs get over 1000's (my Stalker and Battleamaster LRM boats are a few that get high damage, as well as some Massakari's getitng 1000 damage games with there clan LRM's)

in general in MW: O due to how they did the armour you should avoid getting hit in general, I find it silly to waste so much tones into armour just for the soul purpose of getting hit. It may work with the Banshee or atlas as you still got tons for some weapons to back yourself up ie AC 20 or Large lasers but the stalker... my maxed armour stalker I tried for SRM builds kept getting both torsos knocked out under seconds in enemy fire...

I somehow doubt a stalker is a good tanker.

#102 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

There are two different scenarios we are discussing here. If you get together a full lance or more of assault lrm boats and take that vs an opfor composed of the average mech pilots on the solo queue or even the group queue you will get howls of OP as the enemy team perishes in a horrible torrent of missiles while they all cower together at exactly the optimum distance for lrms.

HOWEVER, if myself, modo and some of the other people on here arguing against lrm assaults put together a modest sized group we could roll that opfor using trial mechs.

On the other hand, if the meta shows up piloted by good players, the lrm boat brigade is going to have problems.

In fact, if you have two identical groups of skilled pilots, one with lrm assaults and one without, chances are the lrm brigade will get rolled.

Its the skill level here that makes the difference. At lower skill levels, lrms are strong. Once you get past a certain critical mass of people with good skill, they become weak.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 31 August 2014 - 10:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users